Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 10:25 AM

826 posts, read 1,932,754 times

Advertisements

I go to the Wake Forest Costco regularly and it is at least 9 cents cheaper and up to 15 cents cheaper than surrounding gas stations. Wait time is greatly reduced since the addition of another lane but as gas prices creep up, the lines grow longer. Have noticed that Hess gas stations, particularly the one on Capitol near the Wade Ave exit, has prices comparable to Costco. Added benefit - they have paired with Lowe's (grocery) to offer 10 cents off per gallon per $100 spent at Lowe's with frequent shopper card.

But, we are Costco fans and love the membership. We have an Executive membership and the Costco Amex so we get 3% back on gas (max $300 in rebates/yr).

I went to the Durham Costco once or twice and noticed the gas was more expensive there not sure if it was an anomaly. We also use our Costco card to fill up to/from Asheville (stop in Greensboro) and to fill up on rentals in other places if it's convenient!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 10:38 AM

78 posts, read 160,555 times
Default internet advice may be worth what you pay for it

CHTransplant may be correct, but there also may be more to the story. The different additive packages that various gasoline distributors add to that stock may certainly differ. That could certainly mean not all gas at the pump is the same.

I don't claim to have any particular expertise in the area, but you might read up on the issue of "top tier" gasoline to further explore the question

one link to get started with is Top Tier Gasoline

I just use gasbuddy.com app on my phone and find the cheapest reported gas near me, no matter where I am. It is amazing gas prices can vary by 10-12 cents per gallon in just a mile or two. The app is free. I'm sure there are other similar "where's the cheapest gas" apps out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I find this highly dubious, given that all gasoline in this country comes out of a limited number of refineries.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:45 PM

61 posts, read 240,341 times
I kinda laugh at the "lowest gas price hunters" out there. I guess if you have like a Humvee, big ole' pickup truck, or Porche Cayenne, I could understand how going out of your way for a cheap gas station could save you a cup of coffee's worth of dough. Other than that, it usually will only save you an iTunes song or two. Not worth it in the big scheme of things. How about reducing big hitters like cable or cell phone plans, and now you're talking about saving some mula !!!! I know I'll probably attract some haters with these comments, but I'm just saying.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:55 PM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
Do people go out of their way to buy gas -- and only gas -- at Costco? I hope not. If I am shopping at Costco or if I happen to be driving by, I'll drop in. Not otherwise. But I don't drive gas-guzzlers.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:21 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazother1 View Post
I kinda laugh at the "lowest gas price hunters" out there. I guess if you have like a Humvee, big ole' pickup truck, or Porche Cayenne, I could understand how going out of your way for a cheap gas station could save you a cup of coffee's worth of dough. Other than that, it usually will only save you an iTunes song or two. Not worth it in the big scheme of things. How about reducing big hitters like cable or cell phone plans, and now you're talking about saving some mula !!!! I know I'll probably attract some haters with these comments, but I'm just saying.
Search "latte factor" and see why watching the pennies can have a significant impact on long term financial health.

I wish Costco would make a decision/commitment on coming to Cary/Apex. BJs is OK, but I would prefer a Costco.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:36 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,541 times
Costco gas is BP or Shell. It's usually 3-6 cents cheaper than other places. I wouldn't drive out of my way to fill up there, but being as I work there I can plan my fill ups accordingly.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:21 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,415 times
I would be careful about committing to any 'club' before finding a home in Wake County. You could end up driving past a BJs and a Sam's to get to Costco. I live in Raleigh right now and the nearest Sam's to my home is 6 miles in a direction I rarely go in. BJs is currently much more convenient for me. (My membership is company-provided so I don't have a choice, although I have been a Sam's member for 20 years or so).

Old 06-12-2012, 10:24 AM

75 posts, read 195,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I find this highly dubious, given that all gasoline in this country comes out of a limited number of refineries.

You can find it dubious all you want, it's what I've found to be true.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:49 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,545,382 times
Got gas at Costco for 3.26 last night. It's still in the 3.40's at the various gas stations around my neigborhood. No line at 7:30-8pm when I was there.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:33 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
I keep Raleigh Gas Prices bookmarked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary