Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 06:17 PM

748 posts, read 1,376,146 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to West Durham, out in the country. We have 2 acres of land. Since we have been here, we have had our share of Bambi sightings but all of a sudden in the last couple of weeks, they are coming out of the woodwork. Since we are not native North Carolinians, can someone tell me why we seem to be overrun with deer all of a sudden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 06:22 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
There are a lot of deer in the area. I don't know if it is the lack of predators, but it is something I've gotten used to. In time, you'll learn where they tend to like to cross the road. Just remember to slow down to avoid injuring/killing the deer, not to mention damaging your vehicle.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:24 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,717,177 times
According to what I read recently,it's fawning "season" late May through June, apparently.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:20 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,601 times
When summer comes, the deer come with it. They will wander about looking for food all day. People tend to think of deer as nocturnal, or only being seen at dusk or dawn. This is not true, especially in the summer. We see deer in our yard every day...they've been coming around a lot in the last few weeks. There are 3 new fawns in the herd this summer. I actually see more deer between 10am and 6pm from May through August, then I see the rest of the year.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:09 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I hate deer.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:20 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times
Just wait until autumn! I live in NW Durham and we see huge herds of deer all the time. I hit a deer on Rose of Sharon Rd. last fall and it did almost $6k in damage to my car...thankfully I was unhurt and amazingly the deer survived and walked away! Definitely get to know the areas on the road where the cross!!!

Old 06-11-2012, 11:15 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Just wait until autumn! ... Definitely get to know the areas on the road where the cross!!!
Agreed. It's rutting season then, and the bucks don't watch where they are going.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:01 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
We recently moved to West Durham, out in the country. We have 2 acres of land. Since we have been here, we have had our share of Bambi sightings but all of a sudden in the last couple of weeks, they are coming out of the woodwork. Since we are not native North Carolinians, can someone tell me why we seem to be overrun with deer all of a sudden?
As mentioned above, it's the season. You might as well get used to having deer all around if you moved to the woods. Be careful when driving on non-busy roads, especially near sunup and sundown. Just something you'll need to get used to around here.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:03 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
I'm not sure what happened, but there seem to be an abnormally high amount this year. Maybe the warm winter had something to do with it. There was one in my driveway last night when I got home - I think she was trying to break in and steal my television.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:10 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times
Also... just because you see a fawn by itself, don't mess with it. The momma deer seem to like to park their babies and tend to some deer business, then come back. The fawns just hang out where momma dropped them off and wait for her to come back.

Ohhhh and the deer snort. It is kind of a starling sound because it usually happens in the dead of night when you run out to your vehicle for something and you don't see them 10 feet away.

lol, I love our deer family. Every year the kids race to the windows to count the babies as they walk knock-kneed behind the mommas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary