Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 05:15 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,913,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrvol2012 View Post
Easy answer-it's not as easy as it sounds. It HAS happened in this state however, with Guilford and Forsyth Counties rejecting a 1% fast food tax in 1998 that would have brought the Minnesota Twins to this state. That same year, the Diamondbacks and Rays entered the league, the last time expansion happened. By the way, is it any coincidence that Raleigh and Charlotte, the decade after getting new professional teams, were the two fastest growing urban areas in the country in the decade to follow, while the Triad was not in this mix? I think not.

For starters, many people are uninformed. In all levels of society, including even some billionaires, many people conduct their day to day lives having no idea as to the size and depth of the CURRENT "Carolinas" market (moreso than even 1998 when the Twins almost came here). Even Raleigh's own Ronnie Milsap could see that his home city and state is not what it was even a generation ago, but many are completely clueless as to how this state/region compare VERY favorably to those dead (or "overextended") cities and regions that have had teams for eons. How long before a new investor(s) (could be from Raleigh or Timbuktu) realize the size/depth/growth/baseball passion/potential of this market? Here's guessing sooner than later.

And, on that note, it takes cooperation, vision, patience, and guts from a LOT of people to thwart the competition, which include negitive nellies, uninformed local yokel curmudgeons, powerful politicians from other cities/regions that DON'T want this state to succeed, thereby hurting their own areas/teams/companies, and, indeed, the Peter Angelos's of the world that certainly are ruthless businessmen looking out for their own interests, not ours.

Unfortunately, Charlotte's current leaders have no vision, patience, or guts, and they made the extremely twisted decision to move their city backward instead of forward by electing to use public funds toward minor league baseball, even though Charlotte has the 15th largest market by MLB marketing standards (population within 100 miles). The onus is now on the Triangle, and with $300+ million in economic impact per year on average awaiting any city that host MLB, there's no sane reason based on this state's history and projections that it cannot happen.
The growth in the Triangle/CLT is because... the Triad rejected a baseball team in the 1990s?

Yikes. I hate to say it, but I think this analysis is way, way off base. The issue is that the Triad had a manufacturing base and didn't grow in strong, sustainable ways. Charlotte's home-grown banks worked hard to make the city a financial power; in the Triangle, investments in colleges and universities paid off to bring better jobs to the area.

Both of those led to growth, not pro sports (or a lack thereof.)

On the point with sports: I go to a half dozen Bulls games a year and would love to see Major League Baseball near home. On the other hand, going forward I will NEVER support taxpayer money going to a big-league pro sports stadium. The $15 million investment for the Bulls has paid off well as has DPAC for renovating downtown Durham. But the numbers (hundreds of millions) kicked around for pro sports leagues that are pricing their product out of reach of everyday citizens -- the $7 per month every US cable subscriber pays, like it or not, for mandatory sports channels -- the out of control salaries? None of these appeal to me when we face challenges paying for our universities and a transit system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 09:19 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,258,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel_Dent View Post
Golden State Warriors
Do they really count? I always forget about them.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:53 PM

81 posts, read 173,424 times
Luxury boxes and impressing clients is not what Raleigh is about. Baseball has become too much of a money hungry business that forgot about the kids watching their star players and caters to Network ratings. Can you really expect a family in the Triangle to pay a major league ticket prices plus food and soda and the bonds for the Stadium construction? It's not going to happen and it's no loss in my opinion with the Bulls in Durham.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:21 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonlespaul View Post
Luxury boxes and impressing clients is not what Raleigh is about.
Having attended a few Hurricane's games in the the private boxes at PNC Arena courtesy of several different companies with a local presence, I'd have to disagree with that.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:59 PM

81 posts, read 173,424 times
Filling Luxury boxes at a MLB stadium is way different then the PNC. Not even IBM,SAS, Quintiles,Cree etc., could afford a Luxury MLB box that holds 50-100 for 82 home games.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:20 PM

42 posts, read 61,847 times
Quote:
Filling Luxury boxes at a MLB stadium is way different then the PNC. Not even IBM,SAS, Quintiles,Cree etc., could afford a Luxury MLB box that holds 50-100 for 82 home games.
Not necessary. Not even Yankee Stadium sells out their "Legends Suites" in one of the world's true Alpha++ World Cities. Tickets can be found outside of most any given park on most any given night (with few exceptions) for cheap. Tampa could not sell out their playoff games last year, with face value tickets going for $9. Could Raleigh not sell out for this occasion? Especially when Raleigh's own Josh Hamilton would be in town, as he was for last year's playoffs in Tampa???!!!

Old 06-19-2012, 06:25 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
Quote:
Filling Luxury boxes at a MLB stadium is way different then the PNC. Not even IBM ... could afford a Luxury MLB box that holds 50-100 for 82 home games.
If a company that is #19 on the Forbes 500 list, with $107 Billion in annual revenues and $17 billion in profits can't afford it, what company can?

Old 06-25-2012, 12:55 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
I think MLS is a more viable option than baseball. This area can barely sustain the Hurricanes. Also, no offense, but I'll take my $9 seats at a Bulls game over bleacher seats for the same price at a MLB stadium any day. I've seen most of Tampa's stars in person on the cheap.
MLS is a great idea--one I'd love to see the Triangle take on. It makes a lot of sense for this area.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:21 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,258,170 times
What's the niche/need for a MLS team? I would love to see whatever (MLS, MLB etc), be built downtown.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:58 PM

133 posts, read 331,338 times
I agree 200% that anything that is ever built in terms of a stadium be done in downtown Raleigh. As someone mentioned, baseball is a 7 day per week sport and plays considerable more games than all of the other major sports. As a result, the games attract many more walk-ups sales and take less "planning" than most of the other sports. People leaving downtown buildings after work, or having dinner nearby or in town on business staying at hotels, etc will be attracted to the games on a spur of the moment. Football, for example, is much more of an "event"; something planned in advance. Many people in a city have already parked their car, or don't have one or are vistiting in a city setting.

Baseball is successful in "cities".....and lends itself to a city type of culture drawing fans from all backgrounds, cultures and ages. Baseball benefits from a city setting and the city benefits from the presence of MLB baseball. Look at Boston, Baltimore, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, San Diego, Pittsburgh, Cincinatti - all parks downtown as a major part of the city. MLB baseball outside of the city just doesn't have the same vibe - Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami before they moved, Tampa.

To me, "where" to build a stadium is a no-brainer - has to go into downtown Raleigh and be a visable, exciting and modern day landmark that the city can build upon.

The question to me is will an area that is so spread-out, so suburban, so family orientated and so unused to "city life" put enough fannies in the seats long-term. As someone mentioned, how will a Tuesday night "Raleigh-Miami" baseball game draw in the middle of August?

Also - is it too hot for baseball here? Look around - teams are either inside in the south or make scheduling accomodations to avoid the heat.

I personally think that the area is growing enough and there are so many transplants that have come from baseball cities that Raleigh would be successful on the long-run. It could help further revitalize and legitimize downtown Raleigh and if the right owner and finanical arrangements were made, I'd be all for MLB in the Triangle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary