Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 04:44 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazania View Post
Lower figures can be a promising sign, but back when my husband was out of work, we saw many such articles when the rates dropped a little. Most of these figures were rubbish, or at best, very misleading.

Dropping rates may be meaningful if you see this pattern over a period of time (and I see this may be happening per the article), but often, this drop is not that significant. A state needs to take other factors into consideration. How many people dropped off the unemployment rolls because they used up their benefits? (That's a huge point .... one frequently overlooked in these articles.) Unemployment benefits do not last forever, and once you use them up, you've essentially disappeared in terms of the unemployment figures. Those figures almost always include those still collecting benefits, not those who can not.

How many felt forced to retire early, or just gave up entirely? A very large percentage of the long-term unemployed over the last decade or so are baby boomers (per many articles), and some are near the age when they can collect for Social Security, albeit at a much lower amount than if they somehow persevere until several years later. Many find themselves with little choice ... retire on a shoestring budget or get nothing at all.

Lastly, what TYPES of jobs are being created? That's another biggie articles like these miss, and it is a crucial point. Retail jobs are great, for instance ... don't get me wrong. I have worked many a retail job or seasonal job to earn extra money for my family, gave it my very best effort and have been thankful for the work. And I have no doubt I might have to do it again. But unless you are lucky enough to find an extremely generous retail company (I guess there might be one in the RDU area. Somewhere.), you are not going to be making a whole lot more than minimum wage; particularly if you are re-entering the retail field after being out of a professional or manufacturing job for a long time, and it's been years since you've worked a register. I speak from experience on this one. Someone trying to support a family on a retail job .. well, good luck on THAT one.

For a state's economy to grow and flourish, it needs a healthy dose of manufacturing and professional jobs in various fields (not just a couple), as well as retail and construction jobs. I truly hope that does happen here soon, but I certainly don't see it here now.
Please run for President.

Neither party understands that we've lost good jobs and replaced them with crap jobs.

We must terminate trade agreements and protect our industries. Pay more for items when the money is going back into our economy.

End immigration. We do not need more people any more. Fix the tax code to make all pay their fair share.

End the stupid war in Afghanistan.

Will take a lot of guts to do, but we need to put America first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 11:25 AM

21 posts, read 42,302 times
I find it strange that someone would overstate the obvious. That is, finding a job before you move here (or there, or anywhere for that matter).... but only in a theortical sense (or perfect world!).

While most people have a sense of reality and probably already realize the above, securing a job from far away is nearly impossible.

Everyone knows the old saying: "Did the chicken come before the egg... or viceversa?" In other words, sometimes you have to move to a city in order to increase your likeliness of landing a job. Resumes and cover letters can be sumitted all day long via the Internet, but interviews or practical exams necessary for some jobs can't be done via Skype or phone.

I'm moving there with or without a job. Do you think that a transplant will quality for state unemployment? That makes no sense at all. Unless they are out on the sidewalk, obstructing you from moving along while begging for money, then they probably brought money along to survive and/or are living with someone else (temporarily) anyhow.

Finding a job is already difficult enough *everywhere* and for nearly everyone these days. But to suggest that someone not move somewhere without a job seucred is pretty much saying don't move here at all.

While seemingly good advice to have work secured before you move, not so practical in the real world, IMO ...as sometimes in life you take a few steps backward in order to move foward.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:44 PM

804 posts, read 2,004,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx-transplant View Post
I find it strange that someone would overstate the obvious. That is, finding a job before you move here (or there, or anywhere for that matter).... but only in a theortical sense (or perfect world!).

While most people have a sense of reality and probably already realize the above, securing a job from far away is nearly impossible.

Everyone knows the old saying: "Did the chicken come before the egg... or viceversa?" In other words, sometimes you have to move to a city in order to increase your likeliness of landing a job. Resumes and cover letters can be sumitted all day long via the Internet, but interviews or practical exams necessary for some jobs can't be done via Skype or phone.

I'm moving there with or without a job. Do you think that a transplant will quality for state unemployment? That makes no sense at all. Unless they are out on the sidewalk, obstructing you from moving along while begging for money, then they probably brought money along to survive and/or are living with someone else (temporarily) anyhow.

Finding a job is already difficult enough *everywhere* and for nearly everyone these days. But to suggest that someone not move somewhere without a job seucred is pretty much saying don't move here at all.

While seemingly good advice to have work secured before you move, not so practical in the real world, IMO ...as sometimes in life you take a few steps backward in order to move foward.
just so long as you temper that with the fact that you will be one of MANY who are moving here & competition is at a high for jobs. the area universities are pumping students out regularly, people may be relocating for a job with a spouse/partner/children looking for a job, & this area is the fastest growing in the nation. we offer that perspective because many move here assuming they will easily find a job, without taking into consideration that not only is there a slow economy in general, but this is an in-demand area that has thousands moving here by the moment & has many students graduating & hoping to stay in the area. this is a cautionary tale for people to be sure they are honestly prepared that it could be months/years before they get a job depending on their industry.

i freely admit, too, that i'm tired of the threads started or contributed to by those who made haphazard moves in uprooting their family with little to no job security & expect that the area will magically provide them with a job / their hopes & dreams / their favorite pizza / their everything else but with no taxes.

can relocating without a job work out in the end? yes, but we are cautionary because of what we see & observe in this area & on these boards.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:45 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx-transplant View Post
Finding a job is already difficult enough *everywhere* and for nearly everyone these days.
That's so 2010.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:33 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,102 times
SMH. My field - the one I returned to grad school two years ago to get trained in because it was supposedly "hot" - has been absolutely, positively SATURATED by folks moving here. I can't get a job IN the Raleigh/Durham area, I drive an hour away. Such is life.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:45 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,408 times
I can't remember how many times I've been stuck on I-40 and thought to myself, "The only thing that would make the Triangle better is more traffic."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary