Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 02:39 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Here's how I see it ...

If someone says, "Tell me about RDU (sic) and where I should live and where my kids should go to school and anything else you can tell me that I need to know!"

Then an appropriate question would be ...

"Where is your job located? That will help us give you the information you need."

The person will either say, "I'll be working in [insert area here]." or will say "Uhhhhh -- working?", and that will give you a pretty good idea of the direction the conversation should take .....
Which is often my strategy, yanno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
You can't have it both ways!

You can't say this and then in your next post claim that most of these people aren't buying homes!!!

Vicki
That's why I'm trying to cull out the ones who don't have jobs or retirement money, Vicki. I'm here for ya.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
Also, as I think many clearly understand, some many not.

In my earlier post regarding some natives not like "change", I wasn't even close referencing race, food, and things of that nature. I think I was more referencing the "culture" of the area... as in general understanding of the school systems, political systems, religious make-up, and things like that. And again correct me if I am wrong... but I am not saying that natives don't want people with different religions and stuff moving here... they just don't particularly like people come from different areas that might have been predominately a certain way, and want to make this new area they moved to, into that! Changing the school systems, and of course many other things politically et al that go into an "understanding" of a local "culture" that sometimes is the norm.

Does that make sense? Can anyone better articulate what I am trying to say?

I don't at all think people who get a little grumpy when out of towners come in and try to change everything are mad because they might be a different color or religion...
I think some people get a little more frustrated when an out of towner comes in.... and starts saying stuff like "you can sing God Bless America" in your school because that offends me".... and "you can't bring Bible to school because that offends me".... and before you know it... some not so great people start getting voted into government that native locals would never have imagined or agreed with running things.
Oh. Absolutely. It's a tough concept to articulate and you've done it here quite well.

People don't mind interesting new experiences. They mind having outside forces that seem to be intent on forcing them to change what they view as "normal."

Old 06-13-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
That's funny. The company I worked for at the time built Morriville community park in 1990-91. Myself and 2-3 other people literally built most of that park with our hands along with a few subcontractors. Never in a million years imagined I would live there 10 years later and even when I moved in 2000 it was still pretty small.

I was born in 1970 and the whole area really has been In a constant state of change. "Yankees" moving here is certainly not new as it started with IBM in the late 60's I can't tell you how many people I hung out with in high school were from the areas just north of Six Forks and one or both parents worked for IBM.

It's a big reason the Raleigh accent is so much less drawl-y than from counties further east I think.

Personally, I am in favor of development and people moving here, not just because I work in construction, but because it makes it interesting here.
I was much like you in HS. I'm 3 years older than you, btw.

Many of my friends were transplants in junior high and high school. Variety being the spice of life and all.

In fact, transplants made up most of North Raleigh as I recall it from the early eighties onward.

People moving here for work and retirement isn't foreign to me in the slightest.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:50 PM

460 posts, read 1,017,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Oh. Absolutely. It's a tough concept to articulate and you've done it here quite well.

People don't mind interesting new experiences. They mind having outside forces that seem to be intent on forcing them to change what they view as "normal."
Yeah exactly! haha that is just what I have understood to be some folks issues....

Which I think many can understand in some ways... but again, I'm just an outsider looking in... and am explaining what I have observed and what I understand. :-)

Old 06-13-2012, 05:16 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,433 times
Who are any of you to tell someone why or why they shouldn't move here, or anywhere for that matter?? No job, eight kids...whatever. We live in a free society. It's hilarious when someone asks a question, a simple one that is direct, and they get requests to validate their question. Ie, my wife and I are thinking of moving to the area and were wondering about neighborhoods with a pool. Answers...don't move here unless you have a job! Don't even think about moving here if you don't sell your house! You have no clue about their personal situation nor is it relevant for you to decide it for them. Sme people move here with their ducks in a row, and some don't. It's the circle of life. Just because some of you are the Raleigh city data policeman doesn't mean it translates into real life. Lots of big egos in this forum who feel like they know what's best for everyone else.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:24 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
Also, as I think many clearly understand, some many not.

In my earlier post regarding some natives not like "change", I wasn't even close referencing race, food, and things of that nature. I think I was more referencing the "culture" of the area... as in general understanding of the school systems, political systems, religious make-up, and things like that. And again correct me if I am wrong... but I am not saying that natives don't want people with different religions and stuff moving here... they just don't particularly like people come from different areas that might have been predominately a certain way, and want to make this new area they moved to, into that! Changing the school systems, and of course many other things politically et al that go into an "understanding" of a local "culture" that sometimes is the norm.

Does that make sense? Can anyone better articulate what I am trying to say?

I don't at all think people who get a little grumpy when out of towners come in and try to change everything are mad because they might be a different color or religion...
I think some people get a little more frustrated when an out of towner comes in.... and starts saying stuff like "you can sing God Bless America" in your school because that offends me".... and "you can't bring Bible to school because that offends me".... and before you know it... some not so great people start getting voted into government that native locals would never have imagined or agreed with running things.
Could you be correctly referring to the losers from NJ on the WCPSS board?

May they be on the next Amtrak run North.

Dr Del Burns was a great educator and the transplants drove him out.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:21 PM

448 posts, read 851,595 times
My girlfriend just moved to Raleigh last week. She drove from AZ, on the way, she applied for a teaching job off the Wake County website. She had the interview on Tuesday and was offered the job right then and there. Sometimes it works out.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:55 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azteacher721 View Post
My girlfriend just moved to Raleigh last week. She drove from AZ, on the way, she applied for a teaching job off the Wake County website. She had the interview on Tuesday and was offered the job right then and there. Sometimes it works out.
I do think the "cream of the crop" always get a job! I've had too many folks tell me the same thing!

I recently had a client who was a nurse. She went to 4 interviews and got 4 job offers!

Vicki

Old 06-13-2012, 07:03 PM

448 posts, read 851,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I do think the "cream of the crop" always get a job! I've had too many folks tell me the same thing!

I recently had a client who was a nurse. She went to 4 interviews and got 4 job offers!

Vicki
Very true, she is an awesome kindergarten teacher
Since it is a year round school, she even starts July 9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary