Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 01:02 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifevicarious View Post
No, I don't think there will be folks who pay $6,000 a year on dues to play once a year. Will people drink? Of course. Will people drive close to the greens? Sometimes. But I don't expect someone wearing jeans and taking off their shirt, throwing a Budweiser can on the ground, not knowing the rules and etiquette of the game, and having zero respect for the course. I'm happy outlets exist for those that want to do that, I simply don't want that type of atmosphere. I want the course that requires collared shirts (tucked in), no denim, etc. Again, think of me what you will but growing up playing at a CC, that is what I am used to and long for.
You'll be fine at Prestonwood. I don't play golf over there, but know quite a few who do.

I think I get the gist of what you're wanting, and I think it's a safe bet for you as far as golfing is concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 01:37 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
It sounds like just what you want. My in laws live there and are members. There are quite a few groups for sure and there are events there often. My FIL plays with some other older guys (he's in his 60s and semi retired) and they regularly bang put a round in around 3 hours for a foursome on a weekday. Now theyve been playing together for 10 plus years, but you can definitely get around if you want. Weekend tee times are more crowded, but I've played there in not too long over 4 hours. There's really nowhere else that has three courses plus all the amenities.

I've eaten in the various restaurants plenty and they are nice. Food is good and they typically hire good chefs some of whom have then gone on to some of the finer restaurants in the area so the ownership cares about quality. They recently rebuilt all the greens (like dug them out 5 feet and started from scratch) over the last couple years and have added and renovated the facilities as well,so it has stayed fresh.

Also, the fees have gone down a little bit over the last few years so you are getting a good deal.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:48 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Fees! That reminds me. When we were considering one of the homes that backed up to the one of the courses out there, the fellow that was selling it mentioned a reduced fee for younger members. I dunno if you're over that limit yet as I cannot recall the age bracket. Perhaps you've already investigated that.

Good luck to you!

Old 06-14-2012, 02:20 PM

63 posts, read 87,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Fees! That reminds me. When we were considering one of the homes that backed up to the one of the courses out there, the fellow that was selling it mentioned a reduced fee for younger members. I dunno if you're over that limit yet as I cannot recall the age bracket. Perhaps you've already investigated that.

Good luck to you!
Yes, I have. And just over the limit I think. But thanks for mentioning!

Old 06-14-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
It sounds like just what you want. My in laws live there and are members. There are quite a few groups for sure and there are events there often. My FIL plays with some other older guys (he's in his 60s and semi retired) and they regularly bang put a round in around 3 hours for a foursome on a weekday. Now theyve been playing together for 10 plus years, but you can definitely get around if you want. Weekend tee times are more crowded, but I've played there in not too long over 4 hours. There's really nowhere else that has three courses plus all the amenities.

I've eaten in the various restaurants plenty and they are nice. Food is good and they typically hire good chefs some of whom have then gone on to some of the finer restaurants in the area so the ownership cares about quality. They recently rebuilt all the greens (like dug them out 5 feet and started from scratch) over the last couple years and have added and renovated the facilities as well,so it has stayed fresh.

Also, the fees have gone down a little bit over the last few years so you are getting a good deal.
Thanks for this information, very helpful. I certainly would expect it to be a little slower on weekends t 4/4.5 would be great.

And yes, the three courses is a nice bonus, don't get bored that way!

Old 06-14-2012, 06:30 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Prestonwood is a good club. Sometimes it feels a bit more like a resort than a country club. I think it is because they sell so many social memberships, so the pools, events and restaurants get pretty crowded.
With regard to golf, you should have no problem getting out early on the weekends. We schedule with an online tee time system, so its simple. With three courses, you will not get bored. IMHO, the Meadows is the best, followed by the Highlands and then the Fairways (get's lots of play with the ladies and seniors).
If you set up a tour with Vickie, she will set you up with a practice round.
Good luck!

Old 06-14-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Prestonwood is a good club. Sometimes it feels a bit more like a resort than a country club. I think it is because they sell so many social memberships, so the pools, events and restaurants get pretty crowded.
With regard to golf, you should have no problem getting out early on the weekends. We schedule with an online tee time system, so its simple. With three courses, you will not get bored. IMHO, the Meadows is the best, followed by the Highlands and then the Fairways (get's lots of play with the ladies and seniors).
If you set up a tour with Vickie, she will set you up with a practice round.
Good luck!
Thanks for this. Very good to hear from a current member. I don't mind the resort atmosphere, in fact I kind of like it when it comes to the pool, but was worried baout over crowding on the courses. I know they tout 1800 or 1900 families, any idea how many full golf memberships there are?

Old 06-14-2012, 08:09 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,092 times
Old Chatham is an alternative to Prestonwood. It is pricier and is more of a golf club than a country club. They only do around 10k rounds a year there. They are currently removing their beautiful greens and replacing them with championship bermuda.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
Old Chatham is an alternative to Prestonwood. It is pricier and is more of a golf club than a country club. They only do around 10k rounds a year there. They are currently removing their beautiful greens and replacing them with championship bermuda.
Interesting. I have heard of the club but didn't know about the prices. I found some info on an annual membership which sounds interesting as well as an under 40 offer as well. I would gladly be an associate member for $2500 a year plus dues just to give it a shot. I will have to contact them, thanks for mentioning this.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:40 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifevicarious View Post
Thanks for this. Very good to hear from a current member. I don't mind the resort atmosphere, in fact I kind of like it when it comes to the pool, but was worried baout over crowding on the courses. I know they tout 1800 or 1900 families, any idea how many full golf memberships there are?
Not too sure on the total number of members, but they are actively pursuing full golf members.
Like I mentioned, you really will not have any issue with tee times now that all three courses are open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary