Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 05:06 AM

171 posts, read 430,057 times

Advertisements

Lonnie Poole is a top notch public course. They have packages for the public for $160 month at the moment. It's not private but it's a tough course and the pace of play is decent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 07:27 AM

63 posts, read 87,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Not too sure on the total number of members, but they are actively pursuing full golf members.
Like I mentioned, you really will not have any issue with tee times now that all three courses are open.
Thanks again. Hopefully headed down next weekend to get a chance to play the course and look around a bit more (have been there once before).

Old 06-16-2012, 07:30 AM

63 posts, read 87,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imtheone81 View Post
Lonnie Poole is a top notch public course. They have packages for the public for $160 month at the moment. It's not private but it's a tough course and the pace of play is decent.
I am aware of this course as well. There is a strong argument to just stick with public courses (mainly, the cost) but part of what I am really looking for is a strong mens club. I called Duke as they have a decent membership deal as well but they told me they have no mens club to speak of. I know there are a lot of great public courses in the area, and even more when you go out an hour or so (Tobacco, Pinehurst, etc) but really looking to be part of the community, especially since we really don't know anyone in the area.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:00 PM

71 posts, read 148,436 times
This area is so friendly you can create your own men's club just by getting paired up a few times at a local course and going to a few local pubs at happy hour. I'm not kidding.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:26 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,896 times
You definitely don't need to join Prestonwood to meet people here. Everyone is super friendly and eager to make connections.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:02 AM

188 posts, read 748,165 times
If you are now looking in Raleigh, you should check out North Ridge, Raleigh, and TPC- Wakefield country clubs. All have strong mens golf groups and plenty of social events for the entire family (esp NRCC and TPC).

Also, Wakefield and Raleigh CC are now owned by McConnell Golf. They have great membership programs with access to 8 courses in NC/ SC including Wakefield, Raleigh, and Treyburn in the triangle.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:31 AM

74 posts, read 313,369 times
As they do have the annual packages at Lonnie Poole, but you may want to look into the Charter Partner offer. It is more the long term membership type that you have mentioned that you are looking for. I believe the minimum is a 10k donation to the University ( payable 0% interest over 5 years) to become a charter partner, and then you can buy your champions card for $1000 a year. This includes an abundance of benefits, including the Charter Partner tournament on the anniversary. It might be something worth looking into.

Oh, and yes... Donation means that a certain percentage is available to be written off your taxes... I don't think that is true with initiation fees.

Last edited by kanga; 06-19-2012 at 09:04 AM..

Old 06-20-2012, 05:36 AM

53 posts, read 92,347 times
My sister and her husband live in Prestonwood and joined the club way back when it was just a construction trailer! We always stay with them when we're in town and have seen the club expand, to include expanding to 3 courses. We looked at buying there as well, but selected a newer golf neighborhood for our purposes and price point. You may want to factor in $$ to update the house if it was built in 80s/90s, which is what we were finding. However, I can say from my experience, Preston does seem to match your wants mentioned in your posting. The club always has events going on, the Sr PGA Tour plays there every year, the pool has events, the fitness center hosts events, the tennis club hosts tournaments, and the downstairs bar makes great bloody mary's for those weekend power walks ;-)

Something else to consider, most kids in Preston go to Green Hope High School which is rated a 9 out of 10 on greatschools.org. We love that part of Cary, we just have fewer $$ avail than what we figured we would need to live there.

I think you'd like your decision to move there, but there are other options as some of the folks have noted that are definitely worth investigating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary