U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 11:30 AM

276 posts, read 620,799 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will have a few hours without our kiddo tomorrow, and I thought it would be nice to enjoy a picnic somewhere as the weather will be nice. We'd like to bring a bottle of wine. Any suggestions of where we can picnic with wine, without being kicked out or arrested? I suspect most city or state parks have a no-alcohol policy. Bonus points if you know of a place that is fairly secluded so we can have some privacy. We live in Durham and will only have about 3 hours of free time, so it can't be somewhere too far away. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 11:32 AM

4,598 posts, read 9,819,807 times
Every city around here has open container laws so I recommend brown bagging whatever you bring. Nobody will bother you at Duke Gardens but I'd still brown bag your wine as to not tempt fate

Old 06-15-2012, 11:45 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,037,245 times
See suggestions in this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...nic-spots.html

Old 06-15-2012, 12:21 PM

276 posts, read 620,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
See suggestions in this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...nic-spots.html
Thanks, but that thread isn't really related to places that allow wine consumption. I like evaofnc's idea - we might go incognito with some wine in a bag or a thermos, and enjoy the afternoon at Duke Gardens. Plus that's close to home so we can optimize the few hours of babysitting.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:27 PM

8,136 posts, read 10,229,891 times
I always liked to picnic in my canoe. My favorite spots were sitting up in a quiet little private cove on most any lake around. Anything goes

Old 06-15-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsbells View Post
Thanks, but that thread isn't really related to places that allow wine consumption.
Any secluded spot (including some of those listed in that other thread) is going to "allow" wine consumption. If you're looking for express permission, the picnic pickings are going to be slim.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:53 PM

915 posts, read 2,303,607 times
You're absolutely allowed to have wine at Duke Gardens. It's private property, and Duke allows consumption on Central and West Campus for those 21+. I've had wine at the Gardens tons of times, and there was no discretion about it.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
You're absolutely allowed to have wine at Duke Gardens. It's private property, and Duke allows consumption on Central and West Campus for those 21+.
I wonder if the same would apply to Duke Forest as well (referenced in the other picnic thread).

Old 06-17-2012, 04:42 PM

915 posts, read 2,303,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I wonder if the same would apply to Duke Forest as well (referenced in the other picnic thread).
I think the forest explicit bans alcoholic beverages due to their tendency to lead to litter. Unfortunately, some careless folks have ruined it for everyone.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
I think the forest explicit bans alcoholic beverages due to their tendency to lead to litter. Unfortunately, some careless folks have ruined it for everyone.
Reading the regulations for Duke Forest, it doesn't appear that they do ban alcohol. In fact it is expressly permitted at two picnic shelters they maintain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary