Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 09:18 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,543,889 times

Advertisements

Looking for advice on camp sites at Falls Lake that are accessible via boat. Would like to anchor the boat out near the camp site for the weekend so we can do some boating and camping.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 09:38 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Haven't camped at Falls lake in probably 15 years but have a friend who does so frequently. He simply rode the lake looking for spots. He has a couple that he frequents regularly. He sets up a tent and builds a fire. The park ranger has even stopped in on him one Sat. night to make sure everything was okay (yeah, right), checked the boat, and left.

I do know there are campgrounds at the park located on New Light rd that has a boat ramp, bath house, playground, etc. People will park their boat on shore or at the dock while camping. Pretty sure you have to pay for the site and amenities. The random spot on the lake is free.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:01 AM

Yeah, random spot would be cool with me, but not with the wives. I think we are going to scope of the shore situation at Shinleaf and see how feasible it will be to anchor out there.

Thanks man!

Old 06-15-2012, 10:36 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Not really sure what you are asking. Most of the camping areas are along the water & have boat ramps and you could certainly anchor the boat near the site. Holly Point is nice.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:55 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
I know most of my friends with boats usually camp at holly pointe. There is not a boat ramp for the boats, but there are places to tie up that are right next to camp grounds. Plus there is a beach area close by, and it is a very convenient place to have a boat while camping. This is the only area where I know where people have camped, the sites are large and nice, plus the showers/bathrooms are close by.

Leigh

Old 06-16-2012, 10:04 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
I know most of my friends with boats usually camp at holly pointe. There is not a boat ramp for the boats, but there are places to tie up that are right next to camp grounds. Plus there is a beach area close by, and it is a very convenient place to have a boat while camping. This is the only area where I know where people have camped, the sites are large and nice, plus the showers/bathrooms are close by.

Leigh
There is a boat ramp to launch at Holly Point.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:56 AM

Holly Pointe seems like a good location as well. I'll check that out.

I am going to be out on the lake tomorrow evening, so I'll drive by both Shinleaf and Holly Pointe and see what's up.

Not really worried about the ramp situation. I'll probably put in at Barton's Creek either way.

I know it's frowned upon, but is either area a little bit safer in terms of enjoying a few adult beverages?

Old 06-19-2012, 01:19 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,112 times
I can help!

What you are looking for is a camping spot that you can have your boat tied up to it, correct? At Falls Lake, the best one would be at Holly Point. Loop 1 is all woods and on a "first come first serve" basis. I would stick with Loop 2. Camping spots 71, 73 and 75 are very close to the water and deep enough to leave your boat. They all are electric with water. 59 is very popular with boats, you can literally have your boat right outside the spot. There is no electric or water though. The walk-in sites (#60-64 is good too). We stayed in #66 before with our neighbor in #65 who woke us up at 4 am when they took their boat out. You can also leave your boat in the parking lot at the boat launch ramp as well. Loop 2 is the only one I'm familar with.

You can stop by Holly Point anytime to check out their campsites, they dont mind if you take a look to figure out which spot is best. There's a map on the website, plus they recently added photos of each campsite, you just have to hover over the campsite number.

Hope that helps!

Old 06-20-2012, 07:55 AM

Thank you so much!

Old 06-20-2012, 12:03 PM

71,73,75 are PRIME spots up there. Right on the water and the boats would be a little bit protected by the cove as well. Unfortunately, they are not available. Looks like they book up well in advance.

We are going to book spot 59. I like how the boat is right in sight and I can monitor it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary