Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 06:48 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,924,677 times

Advertisements

I just read this on another site:

If you have more than 3 pets of any kind, your home will be considered by the town as a "kennel" under proposed changes to Fuquay-Varina ordinances. And, to qualify as a kennel, you will have to have at least 2 acres and be in an allowable zone. So, for almost everyone living in Fuquay and its surrounding jurisdiction, if you have two dogs and two cats, you will have to give one up or be out of compliance. There is no grandfather clause for the pets you have now, and the only exception is farm animals. Does this sound like a well thought out, enforceable and useful ordinance? It doesn't to me.

I Love Fuquay! - Home (http://ilovefuquay.com/site/index.php - broken link)

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 08:19 AM

180 posts, read 662,484 times
I think it sounds incredibly ridiculous!! Do you actually go around "catching" people with too many pets?

Old 09-27-2007, 09:55 AM

64 posts, read 196,908 times
Oh, if only they did. We got our new dog Lulu from a breed rescue group. She was one of 60 small dogs that the owner had inside her home in a Northern Virginia city home. All of them stuffed into crates. She was 4 years old (we guess, not sure) and had never been outdoors. I cried when I saw her for the first time.

If you look at the NC dog abuse websites, you'll see this isn't an isolated case. It happens every day with people hoarding dogs and cats. Houses are condemned, and pets suffer horribly.

Also, the dog fighting issues. It's a real problem and breaks my heart every time I see a newspaper article or TV report on the cruelty that humans are capable of.

IMHO, anything that helps eliminate the suffering of these dogs far outweighs anyone's need to have as many pets as they want.

And, Lulu - well, after a year with us, she is bounce off the walls happy. Her weight has doubled and she has such a contagious joy of life.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:57 AM

324 posts, read 1,285,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debera109 View Post
Oh, if only they did. We got our new dog Lulu from a breed rescue group. She was one of 60 small dogs that the owner had inside her home in a Northern Virginia city home. All of them stuffed into crates. She was 4 years old (we guess, not sure) and had never been outdoors. I cried when I saw her for the first time.
There is a huge difference between having 3 or 4 pets and having 60 dogs. I think Kennel/rescue should be considered 10+ same animal. People have to remember that many people have dogs AND cats (I'm guessing rodents, birds, and fish aren't making their equation of 3 pets, if they do then that is even worse, what kid doesn't at some point have their own charge along with the family pet?). We have 4 indoor cats and couldn't imagine parting with any of them, they are members of our family. I think its crazy to force such a restriction. To much private invasion by the government. Its one thing to go after puppy mills and hoarders where actual abuse occurs, its another to tell someone they have to surrender a family member because the government won't allow them to live with you. Ridiculous. Whats next, going to tell us we can't have more than 3 children without an allotted square footage for each?

Old 09-27-2007, 12:13 PM

64 posts, read 196,908 times
I agree with everything you have said ... in principal. The problem is what is reasonable to you, may be unreasonable to others. The lady with the 60 dogs thought it was her right to own 60 dogs in her home. She went back to court 2 times to try and get them back. Is 40 dogs to many? Is 20? Where do you draw the limit? Or do you forget about it, and then you're back to the lady with the 60 dogs again?

We can't get anyone to agree on anything concerning pets, and so the problems continue. The pet problems are epidemic, and probably no one solution will work, but at this point I think I'm amenable to any tactic that would keep irresponsible people from spreading their misery around.

I'm not sure what limit is reasonable, or even if this is the way to go. But I do know that responsible people (and pets) always suffer for what irresponsible people do. I guess I'm just tired of seeing that suffering.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:34 PM

I think that there are plenty of people who have 2 cats and 2 dogs who are very responsible pet owners. I don't think that is too many pets. 60 dogs should certainly qualify as a kennel, 10 pets should probably be a kennel too, but I don't think it is reasonable to call 4 pets a kennel.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:49 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,998,136 times
Where is the actual text of the proposal? Is this for residents who actually live within city limits only or for all of Wake County? Something doesn't sound right here. Details please.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Where is the actual text of the proposal? Is this for residents who actually live within city limits only or for all of Wake County? Something doesn't sound right here. Details please.
According to
I Love Fuquay! - Your Home is a Kennel? (http://ilovefuquay.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemi d=1 - broken link)

This is all part of a larger amendment to the town code referred to as "ZA-11-07 - Zoning Ordinance Text Amendment to Sections 9-4012 and 9-4082 Regarding Kennels", and changes both the definition of the term kennel and the zoning/planning requirements of kennels.

Though there may be other issues with this change, the key elements I am concerned with are as follows:

Section 9-4012 TERM DEFINITION (67)

"KENNEL. Any place or premises where four (4) or more dogs, cats, or other domestic animals over six (6) months of age are kept. This definition shall not apply where said animals are accessory to an agricultural use."

Section 9-4082 ACCESSORY USES AND BUILDINGS. a., (4), (B), (a)

"(B) Kennels, kennel boardings, kennel breeding or stables are permitted in Residential-20, Residential-30, and Residential-40 districts under the following conditions:

a) Kennels, kennel boardings, kennel breeding shal be located on property a minimum of two (2) acre in size.

..."

There is more to the tune of nearly 4 pages of changes, limiting exceptions for Vets, Animal Hospitals and Groomers, further describing stables, and then adding a whole new section, 9-4090.2, to impose conditions on kennels, boarding and breeding in the Commercial Highway District and Industrial District.

You can apparantly see the whole thing here:
http://ilovefuquay.com/site/images/stories/kennel/kennelordinancechanges.pdf (broken link)

Old 09-27-2007, 02:52 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,240,116 times
Most LAWS and RULES come about when that one rotten apple messes it up for the rest of us!!!

All it takes is a few people that end up with 60 dogs and 50 cats and don't take care of them and the town has to step in and make it clear that this type of behaviour is not good for people OR the animals.

The law is meant to protect but...

Vicki

Old 09-27-2007, 04:41 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighNativeheretostay View Post
No way would I agree to any law restricting me from aquiring something for my personal property.

This is simply rediculous!

When do we say that there are enough laws! Let the lawyers fight it out in court. That is what the judicial system is for. Not politicians trying to govern us!

We have allowed this to happen way too long in this country. Any one remember the Boston Tea Party? They were pushed a little too far with taxes, dejavu?
I agree. I certainly dont want abuse of animals as I have 4 cats and a dog myself, but abdicating of our freedoms is a very slippery slope, especially in the response to a few bad apples. One size fits all doesnt tend to work well in municipal law, but a common sense approach is rare. These issues should be case by case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary