Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2007, 09:13 AM

54 posts, read 207,536 times

Advertisements

I'm hearing there is a bug and spider problem in the region. Is this accurate or overstated? Do most people have outdoor screening on their porches? Can you sit outside in the evening with a glass of your favorite beverage without swatting away the creepy crawlers and mosquitoes. If it's a major issue, what measures do people take?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 09:20 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,184 times
I think it is overblown, generally. Screen porches are common here to enjoy sitting outside without worrying about mosquitoes. An alternative is to use a citronella candle, or just spray on some DEET.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:00 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,827 times
its no different than anywhere else in the southeast. I rarely give it any thought at all really.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:48 PM

643 posts, read 2,053,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryon View Post
I'm hearing there is a bug and spider problem in the region. Is this accurate or overstated? Do most people have outdoor screening on their porches? Can you sit outside in the evening with a glass of your favorite beverage without swatting away the creepy crawlers and mosquitoes. If it's a major issue, what measures do people take?

Thanks

I hate to fill this NC forum with hate, but....

Oh. My. God.

We lived in a suburb just outside of Durham for two years. The house we lived in was literally infested with what they call 'camel crickets'.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/30/60...02bcbd8060.jpg
To give you an idea.

These things got into everything. They were in our clothes, our closets, in the drawers of our dressers and worst of all: In out bed. Now, I'm NOT a dirty person. I don't leave things sitting around, I don't attract bugs. In fact, I do everything I can to deter them. But, there was nothing we could do to stop these things. We'd pull down our sheets at night to get into bed and they'd jump out at us; we'd move a pillow we're about to put our head on and they'd crawl down your neck and back. It was unbearable. Needless to say, we moved.

We lived in Raleigh city limits for two years and there again had issues with bugs - huge cockroaches that come out at night and crawl around on your porch; spiders the size of malted milk balls that string huge, sprawling webs over your doorways, windows and patios. I've even, in the years I've been here, had multiple encounters with them inside of my car, spinning webs and crawling around. There's nothing quite like a spider crawling all over your lap to make you swerve wildly.

Now, we live just in Raleigh/Cary, but outside city limits. I've never seen so many spiders in my life. We have a big yard, which crawls with mosquitoes, grasshoppers and spiders of all sizes from the teeny-tiny red ones to the malted milk ball variety. All the bugs attract other things, though; like frogs (which are delightful, I'll admit), snakes, raccoons, opossums, stray cats, et cetera, et cetera.

In short, if you're squeamish, do not move here. I, personally, can't wait to get out of this state so I can go outside again and not worry about being swamped by crawling things.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:02 PM

32 posts, read 123,800 times
I think that all the new construction has a lot to do with it. Essentially these instects, rodents, bugs live in the tall oaks of Raleigh. When you have such a grave number of trees falling all at once, these living creatures seek places to live too. I am not an environmentalist by any means, but I believe similar things have happened in Florida, Georgia, Virginia, Maryland, and the like.

Sorry to hear about your experiences, and that is definitely one uuuugly insect!

Old 09-27-2007, 02:03 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,102,327 times
I've lived in either the Greensboro or Raleigh areas on and off for 27 years of my life. Have I seen many of these aforementioned critters? Yes Have they sometimes been a nuisance? Yes. Do I live in fear of them? No. Do I still walk around barefoot outside and eat dinner outside on an unscreened patio w/out being eaten alive? Yes.

There are critters everywhere. Some homes are infested while others are not. My vacation home in the mountains is overrun with ladybugs in the fall...thousands of them. The spiders were almost always an issue when I lived in northern Arizona. We had awful mosquitoes for a while in Colorado. If the bugs were as bad as the original poster has heard, there wouldn't be so many people living here.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:31 PM

310 posts, read 1,715,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
I hate to fill this NC forum with hate, but....

Oh. My. God.

We lived in a suburb just outside of Durham for two years. The house we lived in was literally infested with what they call 'camel crickets'.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/30/60...02bcbd8060.jpg
To give you an idea.

These things got into everything. They were in our clothes, our closets, in the drawers of our dressers and worst of all: In out bed. Now, I'm NOT a dirty person. I don't leave things sitting around, I don't attract bugs. In fact, I do everything I can to deter them. But, there was nothing we could do to stop these things. We'd pull down our sheets at night to get into bed and they'd jump out at us; we'd move a pillow we're about to put our head on and they'd crawl down your neck and back. It was unbearable. Needless to say, we moved.

We lived in Raleigh city limits for two years and there again had issues with bugs - huge cockroaches that come out at night and crawl around on your porch; spiders the size of malted milk balls that string huge, sprawling webs over your doorways, windows and patios. I've even, in the years I've been here, had multiple encounters with them inside of my car, spinning webs and crawling around. There's nothing quite like a spider crawling all over your lap to make you swerve wildly.

Now, we live just in Raleigh/Cary, but outside city limits. I've never seen so many spiders in my life. We have a big yard, which crawls with mosquitoes, grasshoppers and spiders of all sizes from the teeny-tiny red ones to the malted milk ball variety. All the bugs attract other things, though; like frogs (which are delightful, I'll admit), snakes, raccoons, opossums, stray cats, et cetera, et cetera.

In short, if you're squeamish, do not move here. I, personally, can't wait to get out of this state so I can go outside again and not worry about being swamped by crawling things.
This post sounds like a scene from a horror movie...

Old 09-27-2007, 04:48 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,827 times
Just an FYI...camel crickets tend to migrate to damp crawlspaces and then may enter the house(very rare) Cure the dampness in your crawl and you wont have them, at least in any significant numbers.
Sprinkle sevin dust around the exterior and interior of your crawlspace to kill the insects. Kill the food source and no more toads/frogs coming for meals....which means no more snakes coming for the frogs. It is basically a chain reaction.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:51 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryon View Post

Thanks
I see fewer bugs down here then I did in Ohio. (We had Mayflies every spring....lol...those things would freak out some of the bug-a-phobes....even though they don't even have mouths)....anyway....

It's no worse here then most other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary