Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 07:51 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times

Advertisements

I'm so disappointed to hear this. The Galaxy was really a unique destination in Cary and we certainly don't need another Harris Teeter. I wonder if they'll be able to show some of the movies they usually show at the Galaxy in the new downtown theater?

The Harris Teeter that is currently there could definitely use some improvements and expansion, but there is an empty TJ Maxx sitting right across the street!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 07:57 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
A few details on the project mentioned here. Construction starts first quarter 2013 with HT set to open first quarter 2014. Also includes redesigned entrances.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:11 AM

477 posts, read 1,419,209 times
This is awful news! The Rialto and Colony in Raleigh are so much smaller that many movies that I want to see don't ever make it there and the Galaxy is the only theater around that will screen them. Honestly, the only reason I ever go to Cary is to go to the Galaxy, Koka Booth or TAC. The Galaxy will definitely be missed! Very sad.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:11 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Where's CharltonDude when we need him - to celebrate the tearing down of something old and the building of something new in Cary?

Old 06-26-2012, 09:57 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
One of the reasons we are excited about relocating to the triangle is the large number of theaters showing indie films. The Galaxy is one of several that we visited since we arrived 3 weeks agi. We went to see "Bernie" at the Galaxy on sunday afternoon 's late matinee. There were a total of ten people in the theater, including us - that's less than $80 in ticket revenue. No theater can cover its overhead costs, let alone make a profit, on those numbers.

I do hope it gets relocated, but the best location from a business owners point of view would probably be a much smaller theater,

Old 06-26-2012, 10:19 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,626 times
I heard that a new theater was going to be opening at Park West Village. How about they turn Carmike Park Place, which is right across the street and will certainly fail compared with the shiny newness of whatever they're building at Park West, into one that does indie / bollywood / foreign and maybe second run?

Barring that, Waverly Place would be OK too I guess.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:51 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
My theory is that the Carmike Park Place will turn into a $1 theater.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:52 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Where's CharltonDude when we need him - to celebrate the tearing down of something old and the building of something new in Cary?
Shhhhhh. If you say his name 3 times, you conjure him up.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:03 AM

81 posts, read 248,739 times
We used to go to Galaxy to watch Hindi movies and occasionally to watch indie movies, although often we'd see those at Colony or Rialto. Haven't been recently so don't know if there are still big crowds for the Bollywood movies like there used to be. I have heard that it's getting MUCH easier to find better quality pirated versions of Hindi movies, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's cutting into Galaxy's business. Hindi movies also tend to come out on DVD and Netflix much sooner than English movies, so that can't help either. We moved back to the Triangle not too long ago from San Jose. There were a few theaters there that showed movies from all parts of India, but a lot of the bigger theaters would show one or two Hindi movies. I wouldn't be shocked to see that at a newer multiplex theater in Morrisville. Many people I knew in CA preferred to go to the big theaters because they were newer and had staduim seating and better sound. I prefer watching Hindi movies at theaters like Galaxy, though, because the big theaters tend to omit the intermission. It can be brutal to watch a 2 hour 45 minute movie without a break.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:12 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,714,230 times
The new HT will probably be built; I can't think of a reason for Cary to stop it that would hold up in court, even if Cary wanted to. This is merely a routine case of an owner deciding not to renew an expiring lease and do something else with the property instead, as is the owner's right -- subject to zoning rules which aren't an issue in this case, it appears.

I hope that Galaxy successfully reopens elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary