Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,600 times

Advertisements

Relocating to North Raleigh and trying to decide between 2 homes in different neighborhoods. One is in stonebridge and the other is in North Ridge. Any thoughts on either neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 07:34 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,554,107 times
Just depends which one you like. You can't go wrong with either of those neighborhoods. They are both great in my opinion.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:45 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,126,868 times
if golf and the country club weren't a big draw, I believe I'd prefer Stonebridge. Either neighborhood, you're going to get a lot of 8 ft ceiling, formal, traditional homes that require updating. I always feel like Stonebridge has no through traffic, and the lots are definitely much larger. There's so much to do outsdie at Stonebridge, and it seems like a place you could let your kids out the door and not worry. Now, because of the club, etc, North Ridge will typically appreciate at a greater rate.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:57 PM
rfb

2,593 posts, read 6,335,843 times
I've always liked Stonebridge. I've also had several friends who live in Stonebridge, and they are quite happy with the neighborhood.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:03 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,759,944 times
North Ridge is a little closer to downtown, shopping, etc; Stonebridge is "out there" a little farther (I live right beside Stonebridge) though we are getting some cool things out our way such as a new Whole Foods. North Ridge was built in the 1970s and Stonebridge the late 80s or early 90s. If you worked in RTP, Stonebridge would be a better commute, but you haven't said where you'll be working or whether it's important (probably 10 minutes commuting time difference in the two). And I don't know if this matters a bit, but if you're Jewish, North Ridge is known for a substantial Jewish population because of an Orthodox Synagogue by there.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:08 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,154,070 times
I like both, one is in the city, and pays city taxes, one is not, and does not. I used to live next to North Ridge. I liked it, but wanted more room. We made an offer on a home in Stonebridge, we liked the neighborhood a lot, but ended up nearby. My biggest dislike about Stonebridge, is I always felt like I was several minutes away from a main road. But I'm sure it's something you get used to quickly. I like the mix of home styles, and reallu liked that there were nice "contemporary" homes in both neighborhoods. I think you'd get a lot more for your money in Stonebridge, and MUCH larger lots. North Ridge is very pricey, with a lot of teardowns in recent years. It's not at all unusual for someone to buy a $450,000+ home in North Ridge, just for the lot, and to tear down and rebuild.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:36 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,114,310 times
I lived next to the North Ridge golf club and loved the neighborhood.

If you can afford it, there's another bonus - no meddling HOA to stomp on your property rights.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:33 AM

460 posts, read 1,015,407 times
Just curious - what are the home price ranges for Stonebridge?

Thanks!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:39 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,064,563 times
The thing that people often don't know about North Ridge is that it offers homes in a wide swath of price ranges and sizes. For sure, one finds enormous homes into the multi-millions but modest 3 bedroom homes can be found in North Ridge as well. I think that North Ridge offers the proverbial "cheapest home in an expensive neighborhood" opportunity for investment with the ability to expand/imporove such a home in place over time without outpricing the overall neighborhood or having to move.
FWIW, North Ridge's base high school is an International Baccalaureate Magnet program school. So, while Millbrook might have been considered a liability to the neighborhood in the past, it is now arguably a bonus for it.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:23 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,175,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I lived next to the North Ridge golf club and loved the neighborhood.

If you can afford it, there's another bonus - no meddling HOA to stomp on your property rights.
I'm confused. Are you saying North Ridge has no HOA??? If so, that isn't so.

As for affording North Ridge, there are different sections, from the golf course homes down to homes in the $200,000s.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary