Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 07:45 AM

10 posts, read 14,471 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I recently moved to Town Hall Common division in Morrisville, which is approx 1 mile from the proposed McCrimmon Station and I am not sure on how to react to the news of train station at McCrimmon Pkwy and NC 54 in year 2016.

My neighbors feel it will increase the value of Real Estate but I feel it will add more train traffic noise to existing airplane noise and eventually lower the home prices. I stayed in Atlanta and the residential area's surrounding most train stations are usually dotted with not so desirable people. I am not saying same might happen here, but just trying to consider all possible outcomes in long run.

I am just trying see what the mood/reaction of fellow Morrisville residents is?

Thanks
SK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 08:05 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,149,804 times
I agree that it will drive up real estate prices. Look at the light rail in Charlotte and you can see how their crappy abandoned warehouse areas have been booming with development once the train stations were built.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:47 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Any Passenger Train line will cause housing prices to increase an extra 40-200,000$ depending on where the line goes. If it goes to a Job Hub such as NY or Charlotte then the line will cause prices to increase by a decent amount. Bus Stops also have a smaller increase affect depending on where the line goes.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:02 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Any Passenger Train line will cause housing prices to increase an extra 40-200,000$ depending on where the line goes.
What hat did you pull those numbers out of?

Old 06-28-2012, 09:08 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,339,662 times
This is interesting, I would have thought the opposite. That folks don't want to live next to train stations, with the noise, traffic, pollution, etc. I don't see the current Amtrak train stations doing any good for downtown Raleigh or downtown Cary.

I can understand home values going up if they are building a lot of retail, etc around the train station, but if this is just one little stop in Morrisville, then I don't think it would have that great of an effect.

Now I believe they are proposing a major transit center in downtown Raleigh where the Warehouse District is. In that case, I can see the abandoned warehouses around there being redeveloped and the district starting to boom.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:12 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,149,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
This is interesting, I would have thought the opposite. That folks don't want to live next to train stations, with the noise, traffic, pollution, etc. I don't see the current Amtrak train stations doing any good for downtown Raleigh or downtown Cary.
That is because currently there are only three trains per day that run there. If you had actual commuter trains that ran regularly that people could use more than just on a whim, it would make a significant difference. Everywhere I have lived that has actual train service, not the token train service we have here, some of the most expensive real estate per sqft could be found within walking distance of the train stations.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
some of the most expensive real estate per sqft could be found within walking distance of the train stations.
I think the answer depends on many factors. And there are many studies out there to research.
For example, how close you are to the train station, studies show you don't want to be right next to it.

Where did you live before?
Are these train stations you speak of in the middle of suburbs? or urban areas?
Did you live in a big city/metropolitan areas where there were places worth getting to by train?
And what else was around your train stations.

I've lived in the bay area next to BART stations. And in Dallas suburbs next to the recent DART high speed rail commuter lines. I can tell you there was absolutely no change in my property value. In fact, if not upkept, the area around train stations could deteriorate.

I really don't envision "most expensive real estate per sqft" or "40-200,000$" happening near a train station in the middle of Morrisville. I can, however, see it happening in our downtown urban areas.

Last edited by meanieme; 06-28-2012 at 09:42 AM..

Old 06-28-2012, 09:57 AM

10 posts, read 14,471 times
I was referring to a commuter trains similar to DART in Dallas, BART in SFO or MART in Atlanta.

Morrisville, NC - Official Website - McCrimmon Transit Small Area Plan

Old 06-28-2012, 10:10 AM

Yep, coincidentially I've lived next to DART in Dallas, BART in SFO, and MART in Atlanta.
I'm just trying to set realistic expectations here.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:00 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
What hat did you pull those numbers out of?
Northeastern Region standard for Railroad towns...it varies depending on where the line goes...and how often service is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary