Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 08:33 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,062 times

Advertisements

Yes Brier Creek is another awful one that I avoid. I feel like they need to put speed bumps in front of the stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 09:36 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
I dislike Ridgewood and Brier Creek.

I'm starting to dislike part of Stone Creek here in Cary. You really cannot park anywhere between Red Bowl and Greek Fiesta (sort of that U-shaped pattern) and safely back your car out without nearly getting hit. That area needs speed bumps like the rest of the parking lot has. People fly through there.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:04 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,381 times
Really? No one has mentioned this video yet?

Whole Foods Parking Lot - Music Video [HD] - YouTube

Old 07-01-2012, 12:19 PM

563 posts, read 955,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
I got stopped by a Cary cop in Crossroads one time, but he was just being a jerk and had nothing on me...so I got no tickets. But "private property" means nothing.

I feel the same way as the OP, but about Brier Creek. Every time I go over there, I see way too many cars flying through that shopping center. It's nearly impossible to back out of one of the spaces that face the stores, without simply just backing on out and cutting traffic off. People will not stop to let cars back out. Many times the speeding cars will honk the horn at you as they speed past, while you're trying to back out of a space. It was a HORRIBLE design plan. I wonder how many people have been run down at Brier Creek. I don't hear about it on the news, but I'd bet a paycheck its happened numerous times. That place also has several 4-way stops...and those things are a nightmare. No one seems to fully understand how a 4 way stop is supposed to work. Well, they MAY understand, but I think impatience and greed take over. I drive through the 4 way stop at Durant and Honeycutt often, and that one is a nightmare as well, during the busier hours. When it backs up, most people tend to think "freight-training" is perfectly OK. That's when the front car in one line goes, and 4 or 5 cars behind it treat it like a green light and also go.
I purposely never park in the spots that face the stores. I always go into the lot. I agree that people drive crazy in that lot.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:49 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
someone died in Ridgewood ... New jersey a year or so ago. The woman who smashed several cars was either driver error or the actual as-claimed car malfunction. There's not a thing a mall cop could do about that. And I'm in that lot at least 3x a week, and other than poor ingress and egress behavior at the Ridge rd entrace, have never noticed anything odd or aggressive about cars in the lot.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:10 PM

527 posts, read 686,702 times
I work in that center, and it's a daily thing. I think each of my co-workers and I have had our cars dinged at least once by folks not paying attention, etc. It's really troubling!

Old 07-02-2012, 12:38 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
The backup strategy here in North Hills seems to be just throw it in reverse and come on back without looking I try to pull up and back in anytime I can when parking up to stores. People just aren't as courteous as they use to be and don't yield to folks backing out.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:44 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,939,088 times
People here have no consideration for pedestrians in parking lots. Trying to walk from the parking lot to a store is a gamble and if you dare step in front of one of these speedsters they act as if you've inconvenienced them. Doesn't matter if it's Brier Creek or the neighborhood grocery store. Whatever happened to pedestrian right-of-way?

Old 07-02-2012, 02:16 PM

810 posts, read 1,449,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
People will not stop to let cars back out. Many times the speeding cars will honk the horn at you as they speed past, while you're trying to back out of a space.
One of the things I noticed when I moved here is that the people here have no empathy or sense of shared humanity, especially when driving. I too have had someone blast right up to my bumper and hit his horn when I was backing out of a space in a shopping center lot. Anywhere in NY State that would be considered psychotic behavior. In NY State that would never happen; driving is very cooperative up there.

S

Old 07-02-2012, 02:19 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,165,745 times
I chased a guy down one day and gave him a long lecture on driving and courtesy after he honked at me as I was backing out from between a van and a Suburban. He apologized and acted genuinely remorseful but when you put most people in their car, they feel like they are not only invincible, but also special!

The same person who acts like a cocky jerk while in their car, would probably NEVER think of pulling those same antics in line at the grocery store. There's always one in every crowd, but cars make a lot of people feel powerful and special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary