Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 11:58 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times

Advertisements

I guess I didn't make my OP clear. It was pretty much intended for transplants from the extended DC metro area. Before transplanting here and upon arrival we heard much about the Thunderstorms in this area and resulting power outages. In addition there were the ice storm stories. Friends and neighbors up there warned us about storms down here and folks we talked to here talked about the storms. We had storms there but not like they were said to be here. In the last few years that area has had from what friends and neighbors there say and from what I read a lot more sever storms including both wet and cold (ice) while we in our experience here have had no where near as much. I was wondering if other transplants from there had heard and felt the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 12:13 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Well I JUST moved here from Northern Virginia, and I was actually there during this past weekend's storm. So I cannot really compare what it's like here to there. In the past 10 years or so in Northern Virginia, the most prominent storm in my mind was Hurricane Isabel, which devastated the area. We bought a generator after that. There was a major flooding storm after that, but I don't remember power being an issue, at least not with us. And then there was this past weekend's storm. Our house in Vienna never lost power or had downed trees, but many of our friends did, and there were downed trees everywhere we drove. In addition to those summer-type storms, there was the big Snowmageddon. That's what I remember. I do think there may have been an ice-storm in there, too, but I don't remember it being awful.

As far as this area, like I said, I cannot really compare, as I've only lived here 5 months, but my MIL lives in Greensboro, and I do remember coming down one December when there was a major ice storm. Major portions of the town were without power and trees were down everywhere. It was awful. I do think they tend to have more ice storms here than in DC. Snowstorms are less. Thunderstorms/hurricanes, I do not know.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Well I JUST moved here from Northern Virginia, and I was actually there during this past weekend's storm. So I cannot really compare what it's like here to there. In the past 10 years or so in Northern Virginia, the most prominent storm in my mind was Hurricane Isabel, which devastated the area. We bought a generator after that. There was a major flooding storm after that, but I don't remember power being an issue, at least not with us. And then there was this past weekend's storm. Our house in Vienna never lost power or had downed trees, but many of our friends did, and there were downed trees everywhere we drove. In addition to those summer-type storms, there was the big Snowmageddon. That's what I remember. I do think there may have been an ice-storm in there, too, but I don't remember it being awful.

As far as this area, like I said, I cannot really compare, as I've only lived here 5 months, but my MIL lives in Greensboro, and I do remember coming down one December when there was a major ice storm. Major portions of the town were without power and trees were down everywhere. It was awful. I do think they tend to have more ice storms here than in DC. Snowstorms are less. Thunderstorms/hurricanes, I do not know.
Yeah we came through Delaware, Maryland and Virginia this weekend. Went up hours ahead of the storm and were in Northern Virginia last week. I remember reading and hearing about the massive icestorms here but in five winters have yet to really experience and I know up there they have gotten. Seems like often when I am talking to friends there they have had a bad storm with trees down etc etc. I have had this very discussion with folks there and they think it has gotten more severe there and I have folks here tell me about how it HAS been.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:05 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
The media does tend to distort the impact of east coast storms in some locations vs. others. My wife and I joke that a hurricane could wipe out SC and NC with little media notice, but God forbid it bring some heavy wind and a few inches of rain all the way to New York City (or even D.C.)!

Old 07-02-2012, 02:41 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
The storms we get in central NC are generally air mass thunder storms and squall line storms. Air mass storms are fairly benign by thunderstorm standards. "Thunderstorm alley" is more in the midwest Texas to IL or thereabouts where supercells happen. Those are the ones I would move away from if concerned!

Old 07-02-2012, 03:18 PM

242 posts, read 465,533 times
After the last Hurricane to hit the N.C. Coast, I called two friends, fishin' buddies, who live in or around Morehead City just to ask if they were alright. They both said the same thing, "Rhodes, it was just another hurricane, we get them every year, we know how to prepare for it, what happened in New York was because they don't get storms like this very often, therefore....they don't know how to prepare for them."

Old 07-02-2012, 03:50 PM

84 posts, read 253,563 times
I grew up in Maryland, came down to NC for undergrad, went back to the DC area afterwards and lived all over there for 12 years. Now I've been back in NC since November. I personally don't think the storms are any worse here than the DC area although we did have 5 hurricanes in the 4 years I was in school here. But, the Mid-Atlantic is no stranger to hurricanes either, they're just usually weaker. Back to your question though, I don't think there's much of a difference strength-wise. The only thing I find different is that it's more difficult to tell the direction a storm is heading here. They seem, in my opinion of course, to head more northeast or southeast than the typical west to east storms you see in DC. And they will sit over top of areas for inordinate amounts of time here without moving much.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:14 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,178 times
My brother has lived in DC for 17 years or so after living in NC for 30 years. He has said many times over the years that the weather in the DC area is rarely substantially different than it is here. I agree with him. All areas get freakish weather at times. to compile data based on anecdotal evidence is kind of a waste of time.

We had extreme temps and violent storms in NY off and on. I just don't see how anywhere on the eastern seaboard is that different from any other where.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
The media does tend to distort the impact of east coast storms in some locations vs. others. My wife and I joke that a hurricane could wipe out SC and NC with little media notice, but God forbid it bring some heavy wind and a few inches of rain all the way to New York City (or even D.C.)!
Thats a very good point.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:03 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,282 times
North Carolina benefits greatly by having the Appalachians to our west, except in the summer, where downslope winds tend to dry things out and create drought-y conditions. But thunderstorm complexes approaching from the west tend to get beaten up by the mountains, which is why we don't generally get a lot of tornadoes or supercells here. The exception would be when the Gulf of Mexico is open for business, and fronts drawing moisture from that big, warm bathtub suck humid air northward, bypassing the mountains and bringing the steam bath conditions directly into the Triangle. That's when you'll see severe thunderstorms and even a tornado or two, as we did last April. But most of the time, that big granite wall to our west protects us from the kind of mayhem you see in the Midwest. Yet another reason to love the Old North State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary