Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 08:48 AM

26 posts, read 67,032 times

Advertisements

Since moving here from Atlanta, I've realized that SW Durham is about the best area going. I live in the Chancellor's Ridge Subdivision literally 4 minutes door to door from South Point Mall. Lots of families and retirees over here. My roommate and I are single, renting this house from an out-of-town owner that couldn't sell quickly enough before taking a job transfer to Southern California. It's 3800 sq. ft., two stories (as most houses over here are) deck, two car garage. The couple next door are retired from NY, The guy across the street just moved here from Texas to do his MD residency at Duke, and next to him are a couple with two children; lots of diversity. I've seen everything from East Indians to Hispanics to Asians to Whites and Blacks. Seems to be a nice bit of transplants too from other states. Most are friendly, some are not. *shrug*

Near here are Hope Valley, Woodcroft, and lots of subdivisions immediately around Chancellor's Ridge. These are very nice, and not cheap to buy in; for sure not Hope Valley, with all of it's 'old money' and huge golf course. Oh, and just to let you know, there's at least 10 houses up for sale that I see just driving in and out of my subdivision. There's a new subdivision just right across the street and one a block down. Not sure of your budget, but these homes in Chancellor's Ridge start in the low 200k's and go up; although in this economy, you may be able to get a good deal.

A couple of posters spoke of North Durham as a good option; I agree, although it's lil far out for me. When I was a home health nurse, I had patients in North Durham, and drove up there a lot; it's a good choice to raise kids I think. Someone else mentioned Hillsborough, (which is Durham adjacent) and is great if you like more of a country feel.

Just stay out of Central Durham for now, it's too transitional. I find it ALRIGHT as a single person cuz it has a earthy grittiness to me, which I like. And diversity is not the word! LOL. But for raising kids, not so much. There are some young professionals and singles in central Durham, but again, too transitional. There are pockets of respectable neighborhoods, but central Durham hasn't had a complete overhaul yet. If you want some things to do, it's good to come and hang out, but that's it; unless you work there.

Good luck in your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 03:59 PM

523 posts, read 1,326,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Organicbakergirl View Post

Just stay out of Central Durham for now, it's too transitional. I find it ALRIGHT as a single person cuz it has a earthy grittiness to me, which I like. And diversity is not the word! LOL. But for raising kids, not so much. There are some young professionals and singles in central Durham, but again, too transitional. There are pockets of respectable neighborhoods, but central Durham hasn't had a complete overhaul yet. If you want some things to do, it's good to come and hang out, but that's it; unless you work there.
I know many parents in Central Durham whose experience could offer quite a rebuttal to these statements. There are a lot more than just young professionals and singles in the area, too: my immediate neighborhood includes several families with young children as well as many retirees. I also doubt that the people who live in the $600K+ houses in Trinity Park think of their neighborhood as "transitional", either!

For sure, Central Durham is not for everyone, but I think that blanket advice to "stay out" is a bit too extreme. I have friends who are raising some awesome kids in neighborhoods like Old North Durham, Duke Park, and Cleveland-Holloway and wouldn't think of doing it anywhere else.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:28 PM

120 posts, read 253,941 times
Look at Lochside, Hope Valley Farms, and Woodlake. All are right near RTP and great neighborhoods.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:41 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb27608 View Post
I know many parents in Central Durham whose experience could offer quite a rebuttal to these statements. There are a lot more than just young professionals and singles in the area, too: my immediate neighborhood includes several families with young children as well as many retirees. I also doubt that the people who live in the $600K+ houses in Trinity Park think of their neighborhood as "transitional", either!

For sure, Central Durham is not for everyone, but I think that blanket advice to "stay out" is a bit too extreme. I have friends who are raising some awesome kids in neighborhoods like Old North Durham, Duke Park, and Cleveland-Holloway and wouldn't think of doing it anywhere else.
Yeah -- what LB said! Just came back from a Trinity Park Neighborhood Assn. food truck rodeo at the neighborhood park with four food trucks and probably 100 people... easily a third of whom were school-age kids. Many go to DPS schools like Watts, some go to charters, others to private schools. And the playgrounds at our neighborhood park are always full!

Old 07-08-2012, 07:26 PM

635 posts, read 1,617,402 times
There's also West Durham, with neighborhoods like Lochnora and American Village. It's a great little part of Durham, with the former zoned for Forest View elementary and latter to Hillandale (with an Easley lottery option). There are also a lot of nice neighborhoods off Cole Mill Rd as well, heading into North Durham. And Watts Hillandale 'hood is filled with kids, but you won't get a whole lot of house for the price compared to other places in Durham.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:51 PM

26 posts, read 67,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb27608 View Post

I'm aware of the "pockets" of Central Durham that have changed for the better; I used to actually live there. I just didn't get the impression from her post, that would be the area she would be looking for. Trinity Park is great, but what's AROUND Trinity Park? There are homes on Club Blvd near Hillandale the have been remodeled and revitalized in the 500k-600k range, but again, it's a POCKET neighborhood. Very few parts of Durham really have ENTIRE distinct neighborhoods. The nice pockets bleed into the not so nice ones especially in central Durham, but hey, to each his own. Maybe she'll just absolutely adore it.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:25 AM

915 posts, read 2,382,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No2GMOS View Post
I'm aware of the "pockets" of Central Durham that have changed for the better; I used to actually live there. I just didn't get the impression from her post, that would be the area she would be looking for. Trinity Park is great, but what's AROUND Trinity Park? There are homes on Club Blvd near Hillandale the have been remodeled and revitalized in the 500k-600k range, but again, it's a POCKET neighborhood. Very few parts of Durham really have ENTIRE distinct neighborhoods. The nice pockets bleed into the not so nice ones especially in central Durham, but hey, to each his own. Maybe she'll just absolutely adore it.
I simply don't agree with your opinion. There are tons of great neighborhoods downtown. I'm not going to repeat them, as I don't want to come off like a broken record. It sounds to me like you haven't lived downtown in the past decade...

Old 07-09-2012, 01:25 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
I simply don't agree with your opinion. There are tons of great neighborhoods downtown. I'm not going to repeat them, as I don't want to come off like a broken record. It sounds to me like you haven't lived downtown in the past decade...
Agreed. Durham is one big hodgepodge of neighborhood pockets. Some are larger than others, but still coming from a big city where HUGE swaths of the city are bad, it's impossible to say that any one part 'central', 'south', 'east', etc. is bad. Even SW Durham has its sketchy pockets. They aren't very large, but they are definitely there.

I could just as easily say, "look at what's AROUND Hope Valley Farms. OMG, there's a section 8 apartment building around the corner. Look at who frequents the Kroger down the hill. Oh oh, AVOID that neighborhood like the plague." (yes, I'm purposely being sarcastic)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary