Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 10:17 PM

11 posts, read 24,587 times

Advertisements

We live in Raleigh but my husband works in Durham. The drive there and back is costing. We are thinking of moving to Durham. We don't know the area but we would like to move to a nice neighborhood to raise our 2year old daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 03:56 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mina3888 View Post
We live in Raleigh but my husband works in Durham. The drive there and back is costing. We are thinking of moving to Durham. We don't know the area but we would like to move to a nice neighborhood to raise our 2year old daughter.
South Durham area....woodcroft, hope valley farms, south point area.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:57 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,622 times
We live in North Durham county/city (about 6 miles north of downtown) and like the area.

You'll find older 'neighborhoods' (no HOA) or newer developments.
We like that our neighborhood has 2 ways in/out so very quiet & most everyone knows to go slow when driving because between the crazy deer & kids playing in the road you just can't speed through.

It is nice being tucked back in a quiet neighborhood, but close to everything we need/want.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:12 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Maybe try Hillsborough? Just a thought. Lots of my coworkers drive from there to RTP every day and love it.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:34 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
A better idea of where in Durham geographically he works, and what your housing needs and budget are would be helpful.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:59 AM

635 posts, read 1,617,402 times
Time until school age will pass quickly. If you plan on staying in the area and using Durham Public Schools, you'd be wise to focus your neighborhood search on those with elementary schools that are a good fit for your family. While a number of families in Durham go with lottery/charter options, if you're planning on using the DPS system, you'll want to settle in a place with a good neighborhood school in the case that you a) prefer a neighborhood school for your family or b) don't get accepted to any magnet or charters. And yes, good neighborhood schools, at least for elementary age which is what's most familiar to me at this point, exist in the DPS system contrary to the belief of some others

Old 07-06-2012, 10:53 AM

222 posts, read 545,876 times
The whole SW Durham area is full of families. Very family-friendly all around here. Woodcroft, Woodlake, Hope Valley Farms, Fairfield, Chancellor's Ridge, and Grandale are the bigger neighborhoods I can think of off the top of my head that are full of children. There are tons of other smaller subdivisions all around too. There are plenty of good elementary schools in Durham too, as stated above. I know parents who are very happy with Forest View, Creekside, Hope Valley, and Pearsontown. Kestrel Heights, a charter school, is also expanding down to elementary school for the first time in the coming year. We never thought we'd stay in Durham, but now I can't imagine raising my kids anywhere else!

Old 07-06-2012, 01:02 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
We are in North Durham and love it. We love our elementary school, Easley. Durham is a great place to live and raise kids. If we ever moved our of our house, I think we'd still live in North Durham. It's close enough to everything, but far enough out there to have a home town feel. I didn't think I'd like the north end so much, but I really do.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:21 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,491 times
Lots of new houses being built of the Sharon road/Mineral Springs area. Kids go to brand new elementary school in Brightleaf. Quick access to 40 etc.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:38 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,026 times
Just driving from one part of Durham to another can be tiring! What specific area are you trying to be closer/convenient to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary