Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,694 times

Advertisements

We are spending a month in the area this summer to explore moving to Chapel Hill or Durham within the next year. While we're here, we would like to check out communities that might be a good fit for our family. We are fairly liberal and seeking a welcoming, community-oriented neighborhood where there are lots of kids. Good schools are preferable so our kids don't have to commute to a charter school. Some have recommended the Watts-Hillandale neighborhood and Trinity Park, but we would love to find a home in an area with bigger lots. We drove through the Hope Valley neighborhood and think it is wonderful, but the schools do not appear to be well-rated and we want to make sure that if we're not an old Durham family that we will feel welcomed. I don't know much about Chapel Hill for families (other than it was a fun place to hang out while I was in law school and has terrific schools). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 06:32 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,948,444 times
Any particular price range you're considering?

Old 07-11-2012, 07:16 AM

520 posts, read 1,017,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benay9802 View Post
we want to make sure that if we're not an old Durham family that we will feel welcomed.
Can't help much w/the other questions, but I can tell you that this isn't an issue. There are very few 'old Durham' families in the area. Durham, and the whole Triangle, is probably more transplants than natives. Our experience, and that of other folks I know, has been that people here are very welcoming & helpful to newcomers.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 2,694 times
Re price range, up to $550,000.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:30 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
0h please don't think just because UNC is in Chapel Hill that it caters only to "kids". Nothing could be further from the truth. Great neighborhoods with lots of kids all over the place and best schools in the state. I can go for months without seeing a college kid.

prices are high but that is the cost of good school system. You should be able to find something in your budget in any number of neighborhoods. Look online at the numerous real estate sites. Just remember not every Chapel Hill address is actually in our school system. Some in Chatam County with Chapel Hill address and even in Durham school district.. Weird I know.

Look up and down and all around Homestead Drive and other north chapel hill neighborhoods or down around Glen Lennox area. Don't know how long ago you lived here but the growth in the last 20 years has been unreal. A good real estate agent would be happy to help you even if you are a year away from buying. They are hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary