Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:10 PM

804 posts, read 2,004,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
If I may offer some unsolicited advice: this area has a big dental school. There are lots of recent grads around, so it's not necessarily the best job market for you. It can be competitive.
this is a good point. i know the point seems bludgeoned about on these boards, but i'd really recommend that you try to have that job lined up before moving. i will give you some anecdotal information about that to think on when considering relocating.

i have a friend who is a dental hygenist. she lived in raleigh years ago before moving to switzerland for 3 years doing one of their "exchange" dental hygiene programs, mainly for the experience of living & traveling in europe while still working. she was back in the area before getting married & moving to WI with her husband. she maintained her NC license while in WI since she knew that she'd be moving back eventually after her husband's employment commitment was over.

she returned to NC in december of last year & has been seeking a full-time dental hygiene position either here in raleigh or in wilmington (where her parents are located). she has maintained contacts here int he raleigh area during her time abroad & out of NC. all of the dentists continue to say the same thing: practices are not doing as well as they were so they are hiring less new dentists plus there is the dental school in the area that is continuing to put out new grads. many offices are trying new things with later weekday & perhaps some weekend hours (in an effort to add more business). on top of that, many are moving to the area or trying to move to the area & competition is fierce. your best bet might be if you could find a dentist retiring with a dental office that is trying to replace him/her rather than do without.

i realize that anecdotal evidence has to do with a hygenist rather than a dentist, but did want to throw it out. the economy has obviously taken it's toll on many & one thing that these dentists keep mentioning is that their number of patients has dropped somewhat in the wake of the numbers of layoffs/job losses which in turn reduced dental insurance &/or people are deciding to do without or at the very least doing the bare minimum. of course, this may be the case everywhere but the competition here is tight because so many are moving to the area &/or new grads are coming out of dental school & hoping to stay in the area.

i know there is at least one dentist on these boards. perhaps he can offer better information than i can. either way, i wish you the best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 04:28 PM

4 posts, read 6,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
If I may offer some unsolicited advice: this area has a big dental school. There are lots of recent grads around, so it's not necessarily the best job market for you. It can be competitive.
Yup, I will actually be applying to the residency program at UNC... not looking for a job yet, so I will only be moving to Raleigh if I am accepted into the program. I applied to dental school there but didn't get in as they take very very few out of state residents. I'm hoping it is not the same for their residency program, but I guess I will see.

As far as the job market once I finish the residency program that is a bit of a problem. But it's also a problem for most cities. The places dentists want to be are cities... cities have plenty. The places in need of more dentists are very rural areas, but that's just not what I want at this point in time. But being the residency is only a year I can always move elsewhere if I'm unable to find a job when I finish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary