Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 12:55 PM

448 posts, read 851,675 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Fisher Beach? About how long does it take to get there from Garner? Is it a smooth sandy beach or rocky? We are looking on going Tuesday for a day trip. If you don't think that this beach is worth it, what do you recommend? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 01:23 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Are you thinking of Fort Fisher?
From Garner will be about 2 to 2.5 hours. It's a sandy area. You can google images to get an idea of what it looks like there. It's sort of lumped together with Kure Beach. The aquarium is there too and a ferry to Southport.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:19 PM

Yes, lamishra it seems once I googled, it is Fort Fisher. Is it a nice beach? Is there a closer beach that you would recommend? We have been living in the desert for the past sixteen years, looking forward to the beach. Thanks

Old 07-15-2012, 02:37 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azteacher721 View Post
Yes, lamishra it seems once I googled, it is Fort Fisher. Is it a nice beach? Is there a closer beach that you would recommend? We have been living in the desert for the past sixteen years, looking forward to the beach. Thanks
Getting to Fisher you will go by Carolina and Kure beaches. The water at Fisher and the beach line are different. Walking in the water at Fisher is pepples on pepples and small rocks etc. If you don't like you won't like it. The the shore line at Fisher is much deeper than the other two. By deeper I mean there is more sand for people to sit on. There is a shower and a nicer restroom then at Carolina or Kure. The parking at Fisher is free while at Carolina you will pay. It is all a personal preference. Carolina has a small boardwalk with stores, food etc. Fisher doesn't. Kure has some restuarants. Folks have their preferences of the three beaches and there is a plus to each. Kure is nice and I know folks who prefer Kure of the three based on pure beach. I like Kure in some ways and Carolina in others and Fisher in some It is one long island with the three beaches and communities right next to each other.

http://pleasureislandnc.org/

Old 07-15-2012, 02:41 PM

46 posts, read 77,255 times
I love Fort Fisher for the free parking and clean restrooms! We usually take our family there for a a day trip, even though it is a little further than some other beaches.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:43 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
There is a very nice state Aquarium at the end of the island just after the beach at Fort Fisher. Check it out while there for a possible next trip or you might combine the two of them on Tuesday.
North Carolina Aquariums » North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher

Right after you come over the bridge on the Island there is a Food Lion on the right and if you need vittles you can stop in there. You will go past a number of other spots and on the way back you might want to stop in the shopping center of Carolina and head to the boardwalk and give yourself the opportunity to have a Britts donut and even some pizza from Franks and a good ice cream. Pick up some fudge to bring back and you will have had a great day.
Britts Donuts
http://www.fudgeboat.com/

Old 07-15-2012, 03:32 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
There is a shower and a nicer restroom then at Carolina or Kure. The parking at Fisher is free while at Carolina you will pay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbfamily View Post
I love Fort Fisher for the free parking and clean restrooms!
We always go to Kure Beach - there's plenty of free parking up and down the beach. We tend to park near the pier, which gives access to restrooms.

My wife and I stopped once at the shower/restroom facility at the Fort Fisher beach so that we could change before going to dinner. It was overrun with people, and it was the most vile and disgusting thing either of us has ever encountered, and I will never set foot anywhere near that place again.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Getting to Fisher you will go by Carolina and Kure beaches. The water at Fisher and the beach line are different. Walking in the water at Fisher is pepples on pepples and small rocks etc. If you don't like you won't like it. The the shore line at Fisher is much deeper than the other two. By deeper I mean there is more sand for people to sit on. There is a shower and a nicer restroom then at Carolina or Kure. The parking at Fisher is free while at Carolina you will pay. It is all a personal preference. Carolina has a small boardwalk with stores, food etc. Fisher doesn't. Kure has some restuarants. Folks have their preferences of the three beaches and there is a plus to each. Kure is nice and I know folks who prefer Kure of the three based on pure beach. I like Kure in some ways and Carolina in others and Fisher in some It is one long island with the three beaches and communities right next to each other.

Pleasure Island, North Carolina - Carolina Beach NC, Kure Beach, and Historic Fort Fisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbfamily View Post
I love Fort Fisher for the free parking and clean restrooms! We usually take our family there for a a day trip, even though it is a little further than some other beaches.
Quote:
There is a very nice state Aquarium at the end of the island just after the beach at Fort Fisher. Check it out while there for a possible next trip or you might combine the two of them on Tuesday.
North Carolina Aquariums » North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher

Right after you come over the bridge on the Island there is a Food Lion on the right and if you need vittles you can stop in there. You will go past a number of other spots and on the way back you might want to stop in the shopping center of Carolina and head to the boardwalk and give yourself the opportunity to have a Britts donut and even some pizza from Franks and a good ice cream. Pick up some fudge to bring back and you will have had a great day.
Britts Donuts
The Fudgeboat - Fudge - Carolina Beach, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
We always go to Kure Beach - there's plenty of free parking up and down the beach. We tend to park near the pier, which gives access to restrooms.

My wife and I stopped once at the shower/restroom facility at the Fort Fisher beach so that we could change before going to dinner. It was overrun with people, and it was the most vile and disgusting thing either of us has ever encountered, and I will never set foot anywhere near that place again.
Thanks for all the suggestions.I tend to prefer a sandy bottom when we are in the water. We do have water socks so we could use them. Which would be better if you have a kid, he is eleven not that young but since he was born in AZ he is not used to beaches. Fudgeboat definitely sounds appealing. We are planning on bringing a cooler. We might event take a look at the aquarium. Will have to see how it goes.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:34 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
If I were doing a day trip, I'd eat in Carolina beach, spend whatever "beach time" I wanted at Kure and only go to Fort Fisher for the aquarium and the fort if you have time to do that. They are really all so close together you won't notice a difference...

That's weird about the dirty bathrooms at Fort Fisher...I've never experienced that. In fact it's usually the opposite! The worst bathrooms, IMO, are in Carolina Beach. I've never had a problem with anything in Fort Fisher...I just don't prefer the beach area there...

Old 07-15-2012, 04:47 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,749 times
if you are going for a mid week day trip, I would skip the extra drive to Ft. Fisher and go to Wrightsville beach. We were there last week, and as I was told on this board,it was very easy to go to the far north end of the island and park in the number 4 or number 2 public parking areas near Shell Island Resort hotel. Just take N. Lumina almost to the end.

The public access areas are clearly marked, some have parking and some do not. Parking area 4 has a big lot, bathrooms, showers, changing room and hose with a boardwalk that takes you right to a lifeguard stand. Bring a credit card and pay just $2 an hour or $12 for the entire day (you can leave and come back) Not terribly crowded. Number two is a little less populated (fewer parking spaces) and farther walk down the beach to the lifeguard.

We had a great time at both locations on Wednesday/Thurs/Friday (#4 was full on Friday and we grabbed the last space at number 2 that day) From #4 it is an easy walk to Johnny Mercers pier if you want to go buy lunch, or you will also pass a gazillion restaurants on the way if you want to grab some subs for your cooler.

I had also heard that Ft. Fisher was a good drive for a day trip but now that I've tried wrightsville, I doubt I would go the extra 20 miles on a weekday. On a Weekend, Ft Fisher is probably much easier for parking.

Thanks to all who have given so much great info re: beaches...it really is painless and I didn't even mind the drive home to Raleigh...Going back to Topsail in just 3 weeks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary