Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 05:51 PM

47 posts, read 100,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
When I lived in Wakefield, they were trying to bus kids out of the development to balance the schools.
oh wow, my daughter isnt old enough to start elementary school so im not really involved in her schooling yet, but i did live in wakefield for a year and saw the location of all the schools and just figured if you lived in the development then your child could attend the schools. im really starting to dislike the way the school system works here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 06:02 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,781,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2MA2NC View Post
...Chapel Hill is rated high but it's my belief that has more to do with the types of students that attend there than the school system itself.
Isn't that true about most school districts? I am of the belief that, in general, if you transferred all of the kids from the worst school district and put them in the best school district and put all kids from the best school district and put them in the worst school district, the worst school district would suddenly become the best, and the best school district would become the worst.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:21 PM

149 posts, read 197,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Isn't that true about most school districts? I am of the belief that, in general, if you transferred all of the kids from the worst school district and put them in the best school district and put all kids from the best school district and put them in the worst school district, the worst school district would suddenly become the best, and the best school district would become the worst.
Absolutely. But Chapel Hill has a situation that prevents large percentages of less than ideally positioned students from attending. I would love to see the swap and see what happens.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:10 PM

37 posts, read 45,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaderGirl View Post
There are several hospitals in the area. (Duke, UNC, WakeMed) Do you have a specialty that you work in and are you wanting inpatient or are you open to outpatient? How much of a commute are you willing to have?
I work in Acute Stroke. I perfer acute care setting. Still looking for a good neighborhood and district. That's #1, commute not a huge factor.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:09 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenda King View Post
I work in Acute Stroke. I perfer acute care setting. Still looking for a good neighborhood and district. That's #1, commute not a huge factor.
It should be a factor here. This is an area where you have a lot of hospitals/skilled nursing facilities AND you have a lot of great places to live with decent schools.

Don't pigeonhole yourself. Come and visit. Rent for awhile. Find a job. Find a home near your job.

I know you have kids and everyone with kids wants to be settled immediately. I have 3 kids myself, so I get that.

It's just that this is a big move. The areas you think you like might not be so desirable after you've been here awhile and scouted it out to get a feel for the place. Just my 2 cents and change.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:21 AM

407 posts, read 1,074,471 times
Quote:
It should be a factor here. This is an area where you have a lot of hospitals/skilled nursing facilities AND you have a lot of great places to live with decent schools.

Don't pigeonhole yourself. Come and visit. Rent for awhile. Find a job. Find a home near your job.

I know you have kids and everyone with kids wants to be settled immediately. I have 3 kids myself, so I get that.

It's just that this is a big move. The areas you think you like might not be so desirable after you've been here awhile and scouted it out to get a feel for the place. Just my 2 cents and change.
Great advice. We plan on making the move to the Raleigh area ourselves once the house sells here, but will be renting a home the first year. We have two children and I believe it's more important to have them live and attend schools in a more desirable place then to move them and "settle" them immediately in an area that you later find out to be less then desirable. Much easier to walk away from a rental then to sell a home with little to no equity, especially in this economy. Patience is the key!!!

Old 07-18-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:

Ok thanks for that advice! I was leaning towards Cary, Morrisville or Chapel hill. Although Chapel maybe out in my range. I'm actually visiting this wknd. Can u recommend any good areas? I have a interview at Wakemed cary.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:12 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenda King View Post
Ok thanks for that advice! I was leaning towards Cary, Morrisville or Chapel hill. Although Chapel maybe out in my range. I'm actually visiting this wknd. Can u recommend any good areas? I have a interview at Wakemed cary.
Absolutely. To rent?

Old 07-18-2012, 07:57 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
use www.ncreportcards.org to research the schools. However, just as in medicine - you don't just look at the surface #'s and make a diagnosis of a school. You'll have to scrill down and see how different socio-economic and racial groups and even gender do - and where your kids fit in.

Wake County has great schools where you'd probably live for commuting, the kids, schools, etc. SW Durham - I went to Githens and Jordan and they're both still good schools. Chapel Hill/Carrboro city schools are also good.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. To rent?
Yes renting.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary