Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:27 AM

577 posts, read 1,901,944 times

Advertisements

I hate to say I told you so,,But I did. About eight months ago. People said I was just being negative and trying to keep people from moving here, not true. Common sense was at a low point when people could see nothing but a cheap place to live and a big house. Lots moved here with out jobs we didnt have thousands of extra jobs just hanging around, but thousands moved here on equity and when that is gone and no good job then what. The whole place will suffer and its already starting. This is something I wish I was wrong about but I used common sense and have watched it happen. The posted unemployment rate does not reflect the thousands of transplants who cant file under NC it means nothing.DONT MOVE WITHOUT A JOB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 07:51 AM

331 posts, read 1,126,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believerofgod View Post
Companies are not hiring. They keep constant advertisements in to only keep an eye on the catches, no offense. If a really nice one comes by, they sweep him/her up.
I hadn't thought of it that way but it makes a lot of sense.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:53 AM

331 posts, read 1,126,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
I hate to say I told you so,,But I did.
Be honest, you enjoy saying I told you so. You (and others) were right. You deserve to gloat a little.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:32 AM

Im not a gloater, just wish people would open at least one eye. Nc is cheaper because it has to be because less job ops and lower salary ect. Has always been a big magnet for retired people because its cheaper and they dont need work. The housing bubble clouded peoples better judgement and just herded up and moved.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:15 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times
Default Martians are invading..... run for your lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by believerofgod View Post
Companies are not hiring.

.... Most big companies are cringing about the economy, afraid to make any advancements towards expansions in any area. They don't want their competition getting a strong hold on them, if they make a poor decision.

.... The Raleigh job market is saturated with employees. This is the price residents will have to pay for having so much development. It will only get worse with time.
Are your comments based on conjecture or fact? I know several (four) people who found jobs within three months of searching within RTP and who possessed little more then commoditized skills.

I also reject your opinion regarding saturation of employees. First of all, to call someone an employee they'd have to possess a job which you're suggesting they can't find. Second, if the job market cannot support the talent pool they'll lose their homes and need to leave and so you should be happy. People cannot pay a $1500 mortgage working at McDonalds alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Heck its hard to get a job at WHOLE FOODS!!! Yes they made you sit in front of a computer and do a 45 min ridiculus inventory then tell ya corporate will review and then they might MIGHT call you for an interview> My hair is not orange and I don't have a stud in my chin, that MIGHT be my problem!!!
Maybe that's the way they weed out people who wouldn't excel working in their environment. If you're put out following their application process you're probably not who they're looking for anyway. Aren't you an educator anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
I hate to say I told you so,,But I did. About eight months ago. People said I was just being negative and trying to keep people from moving here, not true. Common sense was at a low point when people could see nothing but a cheap place to live and a big house. Lots moved here with out jobs we didnt have thousands of extra jobs just hanging around, but thousands moved here on equity and when that is gone and no good job then what. The whole place will suffer and its already starting. This is something I wish I was wrong about but I used common sense and have watched it happen. The posted unemployment rate does not reflect the thousands of transplants who cant file under NC it means nothing.DONT MOVE WITHOUT A JOB.
How is it you possess knowledge of undocumented unemployed people?

It's amazing how this entire thread is filled with opinions being offered as fact. A few people start a thread in a forum and offer "the sky is falling" rhetoric based almost entirely on opinion. Then a few more people jump in and appear to corroborate the rhetoric with more opinions offered as fact. And yet within this thread filled with gloom and doom there remains not one single legitimate piece of evidence to support their position.

For those reading this thread and not familiar with some of the regular contributors herein they'd never realize that many of the posters almost always paint a bleak picture for the Raleigh-Durham area.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:55 PM

Ill just tell you I do possess that knowledge and leave it at that. Why not go back and argue with clamboy on the LI thread, This is the place Ive always lived and worked and my knowledge of NC is far greater then your wildest dreams. I hire Li and people from MA,NJ,CA and every where else. You came running from your home to NC and maybe have you found a job, thats great for you but please dont waste my time with you knowledge or lack of on NC and petty attempts to belittle any one with views other then your own. long Islander. And PS I know little to nothing of LI so if we bring up that topic you win. Also how can you call the people on here whom say they cant find a job big fibbers. Because you know a person who found a job means nothing as far as the whole state. As far as backing up the statments with a presidential seal so you approve, have done that been there and then you just fade away. Sorry Im done on my soap box and no neg rep for you but get a grip.

Last edited by NC man; 10-01-2007 at 01:06 PM..

Old 10-01-2007, 01:12 PM

560 posts, read 2,849,386 times
The job market and salary adjustment is dependent on a lot of factors including what you do, what company you work for, your level of education, etc. For an example, I have seen a significant increase in my salary and a even more significant decrease in my out of pocket medical expenses:

Salary is 124% of what it was back in NY.
Medical out of Pocket is 21% of what it was back in NY.
If you consider the increase in salary and the decrease in medical out of pocket costs I am at 138% of where I was back in NY.

I was hired the day after my first interview.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:58 PM

168 posts, read 500,247 times
Default Believer

"They keep constant advertisements in to only keep an eye on the catches, no offense. They had well over thirty people come in I was offered the position."
I am sure that no offense was taken, I mean, not everyone is a catch

Old 10-01-2007, 03:01 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,832 times
Alot of people dont want to admit that Wake and NC dont have an unlimited amount of jobs. Really, there are plenty of people here already looking and when more come that just means more people looking. There are many more people moving here than there are jobs moving or opening up here.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:55 PM

306 posts, read 1,136,566 times
I have felt for a while that Raleigh has reached a point where the numbers of people flocking to the area are greater than the dream jobs out that the transplants seek. A new biotech/ IT company doesn't just spring up over night. Think too transplants, you are competing with younger, cheaper folk that are churned out from nearby UNC, DUKE, NCState and others.

Yes, this will have an effect on housing. In particular, the high end housing (400K +) will and already is taking a hit. There's so much inventory at this price, yet the high paying jobs that are likely needed to cover a large mortgage are not as prevalent as the papers might say.

Monster, Career Builder etc. are next to useless. The best way to get a job these days is through networking. The line, "Its not what you know, but who you know" is so so true.

There's 2000 lawyers just graduated from North Carolina universities. Do we actually need 2000 lawyers in the Triangle region? I can't imagine either how many PhD scientists there are around the Triangle. Must be more than this number. How many biotech companies are around which employ more than 50 folk? Not many.

Go figure, there aren't the jobs here to balance the influx of people to the area. In short, DONT COME HERE WITHOUT A JOB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary