Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 08:41 PM

16 posts, read 197,612 times

Advertisements

Raleigh isn't good for really young people to get a job. They only want to hire the older people that are 35+ and have 10 yrs experince. I once applied for a telemarketing job. They said it was entry level and no exp. ness. , well Thye called me one morning at 7AM and told me very rudely that I don't have enough experience when i worked in PC sales for 1 year and sold over 200 systems a mo that were 2000$+ and over 100 sales a month that were 4000$+ since i worked for a completly custom computer mfr when i lived in Tn they built everything in a very nice and very posh shop and they only catered to people making over like 100K/yr. I told them that and I was in the top 5/200 people for 6 months! They seem to be more interested in duration then actual quality work. You could be there 10 years and be a total slacker! or you can be there just 2 and totally make a difference in a company and they would pick the first option.

The only good sales job that hires are the real estate ones and you need to go to school for that and pay an arm and a leg for it. And then you only make commission.

Also admin/clerical jobs were not great eaither. You only had a few medical companies ever hiring for it and they only pay like 10/hr and that does not make it very well if you r rent is 750/mo and electric bill is 150 your phone bill is 100 and your water bill is 40 and your car payment is 150/mo and your insurance is 80/mo. you barely have enough for food!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 05:55 AM

32 posts, read 165,005 times
I had a very positive experience. I'm in the clinical research field, have a masters degree, and 2 years experience in NY. I applied for several positions online, came down for two interviews, and got my first choice of job.
It is a great place for people in my field.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:23 PM

123 posts, read 553,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluflower View Post
This is kind of disturbing. I was thinking of moving from Florida to Raleigh - in hopes of finishing my BA at NCSU... also I'm wary of all this talk about the amount of people from the north. I'm not against people from above the MDL but I work with a south florida client base and most of my clients down there are relocated from the north and I have to tell you I'm not really in love with the attitude and just all around general treatment I get and see given on a regular basis. Do they not teach you people a simple thank you goes a long way and the proper response to have "have a nice evening" is "same to you"

sheesh... maybe I won't be moving to Raleigh...

Good luck w/ your job search....
I suppose this is a generalized statement, but I am from New Hampshire.. The North. Call me a 'Yankee' if you will.. But I have been looking into relocating to NC and I must say that when someone says, 'have a nice evening', I usually reciprocate with 'you too', perhaps not 'same to you' but in the same context. So, again, I suppose it is a generalized statement, but not everyone is that way..

Old 11-13-2007, 01:51 AM

14 posts, read 55,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoOHtoNC View Post
It is stereotypical responses like this that bring out the NY in me. I am a good man with a good wife and family and and ex Long Islander. I love living in NC, I love everything about it...except the redneck, idiot response of people like this. I will not be the first to insult a southerners "twang", the stereotype that all southerners are stupid and all they do is drink and have sex with their sisters...but you sir are a step below the attitude of a KKK member. Don't throw your half witted comments out like this "Do they not teach you people a simple thank you goes a long way and the proper response to have "have a nice evening" is "same to you".

We came from an area that was non socialable, due to high crime rate and fear. We were not social because of this, this is not our own faults, but society as a whole. When we move to a new state and encounter southerners and mid westerners that see we are not outwardly social like "yall" then we are immediately looked at like an outsider and you throw first stone. We are actually very nice people "WHEN" you get to know us, but until then we are guarded from our environment. It is not every day that an airplane smacks into your office building next door. So please don't come here with your hater attitude until you actually have half a clue about NY or the NE in general. I would rather you tell me to f**k off and have a nice day .
Dude, that was way lowbrow of anything bluflower said.
Besides, how can you be resentful of southern hospitality? What bluflower mentioned are simple anecdotes that brighten others' day.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:41 AM

331 posts, read 1,126,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookw06 View Post
what is up with the job market around here? i always see a lot of posts regarding people not being able to get jobs.
I don't get it. I recently went through a job search and had to turn down more job interviews than I accepted due to timing.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:56 AM

266 posts, read 590,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
I don't get it. I recently went through a job search and had to turn down more job interviews than I accepted due to timing.
I was thinking that the job market was very good since about 1-2 years ago for most positions. There is a problem with supply outstripping demand, but I thought it was a minimal problem.

The real issue is in the next year or two as the credit crunch spreads into retail and other areas. It's just beginning now, so it takes time for people to stop spending entirely, as consumer credit standards are still lax (all those pre-approvals will eventually end when the bill to foreigners isn't paid). People don't realize that we've been through this exact same scenario in the roaring 20's with deferred payment. Credit didn't come back for about 60 years. Everything was strongly tied to collateral rather than income since WWII up until the the 80's. Be careful with commission oriented service and retail jobs.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:07 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
What I find so interesting is that I can understand 100% why SOME of you haven't been called back by employers.

Some of you have such bad attitudes and are such negative thinkers that any emplyer is going to pass right over you and go on to the next 10 people who WANT that job.

Stop and think. Maybe the problem is you. Maybe you need to step back, take a good hard look at yourself, honestly, and think of what would make you a better person and a more hireable person.

Its not always about skill. Attitude is big. Other people's perception of you is big.

Vicki

Old 11-13-2007, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
What I find so interesting is that I can understand 100% why SOME of you haven't been called back by employers.

Some of you have such bad attitudes and are such negative thinkers that any emplyer is going to pass right over you and go on to the next 10 people who WANT that job.

Stop and think. Maybe the problem is you. Maybe you need to step back, take a good hard look at yourself, honestly, and think of what would make you a better person and a more hireable person.

Its not always about skill. Attitude is big. Other people's perception of you is big.

Vicki
It completely depends on the profession. As someone who's responsible for hiring, skill is 90%, attitude 10%. You just need enough attitude to do your job well. The rest is irrelevant. But to think that skill is not relevant will likely keep one getting unemployment checks.

The "gool ol' boys network" isn't around anymore. Not anywhere I've looked for work, North or South. When the US went global, these people get mowed over by real achievers.

My "dismal" attitude on consumer spending reflects very little on my attitude in the workplace. I'm a very aggressive go-getter who is only gloom and doom on current economic figures. I keep my dismal attitude completely isolated from my social encounters. To me, that's just being versatile in one's personality.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:37 AM

134 posts, read 410,637 times
You need to look at the statistics, not your own experience. You can't make generalizations about the Triangle because you, or uncle Billy, or your neighbor, or some unknown guy here at this forum, can't find a job.

My wife began to seriously look for a job about two months ago. At first, nothing. Zippo. Just horror stories from headhunters. She has a Business degree and an MBA, but she was out of work for many years raising our kids. And she's not American. And her previous job experience was in Europe. The headhunters made it sound like she needed to work at Harrris Teeter or McDonalds for a few years! She was distraught. She couldn't even get an interview.....

And then, out of the blue, two interviews and two job offer, both in the same week! About six weeks after she began to seriously look for work. Six weeks is not so bad...

But in any case, individual experiences rarely paint a true picture of macroeconomic trends. Had you asked my wife three weeks ago, she would have said the Triangle is terrible for job seekers. Ask her now, and you'd hear something completely different.

I don't know the statistics for the Triangle, so I can't really say what is happening here. But it does seem the US economy is slowing, and that will certainly impact this region, too. High oil prices, a collapsing housing market, an overextended military bogged down in two wars, the dollar in free fall, out of control federal spending while taxes have been cut....... It all takes its toll, and now we are seeing the results.

--JC

P.S. This story does not yet have a happy ending, as my wife does not like the job she selected! It's too far from our home, and the work is not as challenging as she would like. She's not learning much on the job. The pay is quite good, but she's decided to look for something else. But at least she's bringing home a paycheck while looking, unlike before.....

Old 11-13-2007, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChristmas View Post
You need to look at the statistics, not your own experience. You can't make generalizations about the Triangle because you, or uncle Billy, or your neighbor, or some unknown guy here at this forum, can't find a job.

My wife began to seriously look for a job about two months ago. At first, nothing. Zippo. Just horror stories from headhunters. She has a Business degree and an MBA, but she was out of work for many years raising our kids. And she's not American. And her previous job experience was in Europe. The headhunters made it sound like she needed to work at Harrris Teeter or McDonalds for a few years! She was distraught. She couldn't even get an interview.....

And then, out of the blue, two interviews and two job offer, both in the same week! About six weeks after she began to seriously look for work. Six weeks is not so bad...

But in any case, individual experiences rarely paint a true picture of macroeconomic trends. Had you asked my wife three weeks ago, she would have said the Triangle is terrible for job seekers. Ask her now, and you'd hear something completely different.

I don't know the statistics for the Triangle, so I can't really say what is happening here. But it does seem the US economy is slowing, and that will certainly impact this region, too. High oil prices, a collapsing housing market, an overextended military bogged down in two wars, the dollar in free fall, out of control federal spending while taxes have been cut....... It all takes its toll, and now we are seeing the results.

--JC

P.S. This story does not yet have a happy ending, as my wife does not like the job she selected! It's too far from our home, and the work is not as challenging as she would like. She's not learning much on the job. The pay is quite good, but she's decided to look for something else. But at least she's bringing home a paycheck while looking, unlike before.....
Some people in this forum have been known for gauging all statistics on feelings, emotions, experiences "on the street", etc rather than numbers.

It's a shame really. The fact that people don't believe numbers or think they're somehow not reflective of anything important is another reason why the US could be hurled back into a 2nd rate power and why China is growing faster than we are. The world economy runs on numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary