Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,914 times

Advertisements

I am newspaper carrier myself.. I think a litlle tip like 5 to 10 dollars is appreciated.
Especially when having no days and the Hurricane, a little appreciation can help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 06:13 PM

13 posts, read 20,474 times
We tip 10 for each yr we had the same person so far 20.00 been the most !!

Old 12-07-2013, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,658 times
For all of you out there the economy has taken a considerable nose dive and jobs that were once available with adequate pay are no longer! I have a college degree and still deliver newspapers to make ends meet. I don't understand all the harsh comments toward the newspaper delivery person. We pay for our own bags, gas, upkeep on our cars ect... Please be kind and leave something for your newspaper delivery person. Trust me it is not an easy job, and the pay is not good.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:44 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,566 times
I agree that newspaper delivery is hard work, and that the person delivering deserves a few bucks for the trouble. Unfortunately, I had to give up the paper as the cost had risen to nearly three hundred dollars a year. I'm really going to miss it, but I could no longer justify the expense when the same info is available on the Net.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:53 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
Unfortunately, I had to give up the paper as the cost had risen to nearly three hundred dollars a year.
The N&O costs just under $200 a year. Using the Sunday coupons can more than pay for the cost of a newspaper subscription. Still, I know it's not worth it for some.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:34 AM

513 posts, read 695,833 times
Nothing, I am not sure to this day why a newspaper is delivered to my house everyday. Never asked for one and do not pay for it either. I'm guessing it is a sample of some sort because there are only a few sections

Old 12-09-2013, 11:27 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
I canceled my subscription over something that might sound minor. The delivery guy has very, VERY loud music playing in his car. I'm sure it's because it's so early that he needs it to keep himself awake. However, it was waking me up at 4:45-5:00 every morning as he drove up and delivered. So, I canceled.
That's not minor, it's a legitimate issue. One of the reasons we cancelled our N&O subscription was because despite having one of those green delivery boxes right next to our mailbox the last carrier we had would almost always toss the paper onto my driveway. If it rained the paper would get soaked through to the point where I'd just toss it right into the recycling bin. I called multiple times to request that the paper be placed in the green box, the one that N&O had provided, and which was located adjacent to the street, but it did little to improve the situation. Eventually I cancelled because it was more aggravation than it was worth. That and also because the carrier solicited us for a holiday tip, something I just can't stand (and I was in the service industry for years and often depended on tips to make ends meet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
Yep. For me, as I said, I like the puzzles. If I could find a source for 4 different number/word puzzles that increased in difficulty through out the week for around what I pay for my N&O subscription, I'd gladly take it. However I've yet to find something else that provides this (either in print of some kind or my kindle) so I'll stick with my newspaper until then.
Check out www.uclickgames.com. This is the outfit that sells the puzzle content to most newspapers. I used to play my Soduku, Jumble Daily and Crossword puzzles there when I still had time for that sort of thing. At one point I even decided to pay the $3.95 a month for their full library of puzzles but the free version works just fine.

And regarding the original post, give what you feel is appropriate and what you feel you can afford. Anything at all will be appreciated and not giving something is tantamount to saying you're unhappy with the service. If we can justify throwing a quarter into the tip jar at Starbacks for pouring a drink I think we can find it in our hearts to give something to the person who brings you your paper each day.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:24 PM

86 posts, read 146,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
The N&O costs just under $200 a year. Using the Sunday coupons can more than pay for the cost of a newspaper subscription. Still, I know it's not worth it for some.
As a new subscriber (defined as not having a subscription in the last 30 days) you can get a subscription for around $100/year. We just let our subscription, wait a month, then subscribe as a new subscriber. Even the people that sell subscriptions at the grocery stores will tell you to do that.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:27 PM

86 posts, read 146,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey Pope View Post
For all of you out there the economy has taken a considerable nose dive and jobs that were once available with adequate pay are no longer! I have a college degree and still deliver newspapers to make ends meet. I don't understand all the harsh comments toward the newspaper delivery person. We pay for our own bags, gas, upkeep on our cars ect... Please be kind and leave something for your newspaper delivery person. Trust me it is not an easy job, and the pay is not good.
Sorry, but if you were my delivery person and I saw you were soliciting for tips, you would not get one. It should be the customer's decision as to whether or not the delivery person gets one, and not based on the delivery person asking for one.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:40 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Nope.

imgur: the simple image sharer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary