Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:12 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times

Advertisements

I'm in Southern Village in Chapel Hill, a planned community with a school, shops, offices, pool, etc. within the development. Houses seem to move very fast here. I just did a search and there are 13 single-family houses "for sale" in Southern Village - 7 of them have contracts on them. We bought our house in December and all of these houses are new listings since then. I'm pretty sure, they've all been on the market less than 6 months, even with the zero-lot lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 05:35 AM

43,288 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Big builder rolls big bet on Triangle housing - Triangle Business Journal

Old 07-17-2012, 06:02 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,040 times
Latest data from the Federal Housing Finance Agency shows that prices continue to drop in the Triangle. That's 12 consecutive quarters of price drops, with the latest quarter's being the largest since spring 2010. Seems consistent with the anecdotal reports everyone is giving here.

So yeah, no surprise that if house values for three straight years year they're eventually going to get cheap enough to attract buyers. I don't know if that's a recovery or not, though. I guess it's important to differentiate between a recovery for agents and a recovery for homeowners. Agents want houses sold at any price since that's how they get paid, so they're interested in sales volume. Homeowners only have to sell once, so they're more interested in price. Which one are we talking about?

Old 07-17-2012, 06:21 AM

525 posts, read 1,298,132 times
KC I would tend to agree. I see homes selling all over the place, it seems like things have really picked up out there -- however, I will probably take a bath on my house purchased in 2009 because I need to sell it later this year. So, not much of a recovery to me personally....

Old 07-17-2012, 06:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
When economists speak of a recovery, they refer only to things being better than they were yesterday, not that things have gotten back to where they once where.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:06 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
That's logical. Lennar is huge. They build affordable housing. People are moving here still. They need someplace to live. It's bad for resales. Good for new home sales.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:30 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
^^^ True indeed. My townhome purchased as new construction in 06 in Northeast Raleigh near Rolesville has lost quarter of it's value from then to now. Resales are shaky at best in most areas, with few standouts.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:38 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Triangle housing market shows signs of recovery - News14.com

What are you seeing in YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD?

More listings? More houses sold?

Vicki
I think we've had 5-7 houses go on the market this spring....4-5 of them sold the first weekend they were on the market. One sold in 3 weeks. One is on the market and it's priced with the others (which is overpriced, as it's not as big as the others that have sold).

As for me, happy camper - prices are up about 10% on average here since we bought our home just about 2 years ago!

Houses don't come on the market here very often...this will probably be it until next spring - when people see them, they snap them up, but those houses that all sold in one weekend was a bit crazy!

I will DM you my neighborhood so you can double-check my facts

Old 07-17-2012, 07:40 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Our street's doing well. House across the street from us sold for ~$550k after two days on market. Two houses down sold before being listed as a private sale for $375k and is getting a whole house renovation. Less popular parts of the neighborhood (those right on busy city streets) are slower, but generally things are moving fairly well. This may be a "hyperlocal" phenomenon right where we are, I suspect other parts of Durham are moving more slowly.
Agreed with the hyperlocal phenomenon but it seems to extend to Morehead Hill and Forest Hills. Our small 1930s home in downtown Durham 27707 (Morehead Hill) sold in 29 days at a price considerably higher than tax value (substantial renovations done after valuation). I've kept an eye on things the last few weeks and it looks like a lot of homes are still selling in that area and not a whole lot is coming on the market to replace them.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:40 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think we've had 5-7 houses go on the market this spring....4-5 of them sold the first weekend they were on the market. One sold in 3 weeks. One is on the market and it's priced with the others (which is overpriced, as it's not as big as the others that have sold).

As for me, happy camper - prices are up about 10% on average here since we bought our home just about 2 years ago!

I will DM you my neighborhood so you can double-check my facts
It would be interesting to see where prices are for people who bought from around 2003-2008, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary