Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 04:28 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2MA2NC View Post
Wow. I don't know where you live but I don't know of any house that sold for less than they bought for in the mid 2000's (2004-2008). I'm sure there may be a foreclosure here and there providing a loss but I'm not even personally aware of those from that timeframe. I don't doubt you but I just can't imagine an area that bad off in the Triangle. Contrast that with a lot of houses bought 2008-2011 and there is a drastic difference. Breaking even is a real good deal for a lot of neighborhoods and you can bank on different degrees of loss for many of them.
Seriously? I could find dozens of them right now. It's not about doing badly. It's about people buying at the height of the market for too much and having to sell now.

And, as I said, the ones who bought then and sold for more now have usually spent quite a bit on upgrading the homes. Typically more than the amount they might have made selling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 04:34 PM

149 posts, read 197,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Seriously? I could find dozens of them right now. It's not about doing badly. It's about people buying at the height of the market for too much and having to sell now.

And, as I said, the ones who bought then and sold for more now have usually spent quite a bit on upgrading the homes. Typically more than the amount they might have made selling.
I don't doubt you. I'm just surprised because I'm not seeing that in my area in the timeframe you mentioned. I notice more of an issue from 2008 - 2011 in some neighborhoods. If you go to the City-Data main section and look up median prices by year it also reflects this. It's like the Raleigh/Durham area was a little late getting to the depreciation dance but has been doing the tango the last few years. That's why I laugh when I see the news say this is the year every year since 2010.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I don't doubt you. I'm just surprised because I'm not seeing that in my area in the timeframe you mentioned. I notice more of an issue from 2008 - 2011 in some neighborhoods. If you go to the City-Data main section and look up median prices by year it also reflects this. It's like the Raleigh/Durham area was a little late getting to the depreciation dance but has been doing the tango the last few years. That's why I laugh when I see the news say this is the year every year since 2010.
Nah. Houses are selling for more this year than they did last year. Just not much more. The peak of the market here was from about 2003 until roughly 2008.

If a house sold for X in, say, 2005, it might've sold for X-2 last year where it now appears to sell for X again, or even X+1, but once you factor in Y in upgrades, the house may have sold for a substantial loss. We've looked off and on for 2 years (no hurry, we own a place already) for house. In Cary. You'd be surprised at people's losses. Obviously, the longer they've owned the less painful it generally is.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:50 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Wow. I don't know where you live but I don't know of any house that sold for less than they bought for in the mid 2000's (2004-2008).
That just seems to defy what the numbers say. The overall market was peaking in around 2006/2007. Anything bought around the peak of the market - before or after - are likely to be worth less today. I would tend to think purchases made in the 2004-2008 timeframe are the most likely to have suffered a decline, not the least.

Of course, on an inflation adjusted basis, we all learned a while back that prices are only equal to what they were in 1997:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...97-levels.html

Old 07-17-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
That just seems to defy what the numbers say. The overall market was peaking in around 2006/2007. Anything bought around the peak of the market - before or after - are likely to be worth less today. I would tend to think purchases made in the 2004-2008 timeframe are the most likely to have suffered a decline, not the least.

Of course, on an inflation adjusted basis, we all learned a while back that prices are only equal to what they were in 1997:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...97-levels.html
Look how late the dip happened in Raleigh according to City Data. If you bought 2008 - 2011 and sold this year it indicates the median value is lower. The further back from 2008 the purchase was the better your chances are.
//www.city-data.com/city/Raleig...-Carolina.html

Look how awful Cary is.
//www.city-data.com/city/Cary-North-Carolina.html

Both show what I am saying.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
I have a hard time believing that the real estate market in Cary is that different from the market in Raleigh.

Not sure I'd rely on City-Data for hard real estate data.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I have a hard time believing that the real estate market in Cary is that different from the market in Raleigh.

It's not only source of info to be followed but it does mirror what I've seen. But it's all local and what I'm seeing where I go may be different than what you're seeing where go. I'm certainly not debating what anyone else is saying they see. We're just putting our observations on the table.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:

I live in Cary. I've been looking for a house here for awhile. I'm not a realtor and I'm not trying to sell my house (I'd lose money if I did. At least a little.)

Cary isn't any different than North Raleigh.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:36 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,998 times
Quote:
Wow. I don't know where you live but I don't know of any house that sold for less than they bought for in the mid 2000's (2004-2008). I'm sure there may be a foreclosure here and there providing a loss but I'm not even personally aware of those from that timeframe. I don't doubt you but I just can't imagine an area that bad off in the Triangle.
I see many homes for sale priced far below what the owners originally paid. Jamison Park, Bells Pointe, Park at Westlake, Flower's Plantation, and Glen Laurel are just a few of the neighborhoods which come to mind.

There aren't too many people who are buying homes in the 400k plus category right now. Of course the one exception is transplants who consider 600-800k a "downgrade".

Old 07-17-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I see many homes for sale priced far below what the owners originally paid. Jamison Park, Bells Pointe, Park at Westlake, Flower's Plantation, and Glen Laurel are just a few of the neighborhoods which come to mind.

There aren't too many people who are buying homes in the 400k plus category right now. Of course the one exception is transplants who consider 600-800k a "downgrade".
What is the timeline? When did they originally buy? I'm not buying into this year is the year until the year is over and I saw it was the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary