Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2012, 10:31 PM

81 posts, read 142,068 times

Advertisements

We're going back and forth between a house in Brook Green in Clayton and One in Twisted Oak in Garner. Does anyone have any experience with either of these subdivisions?? Hoping to make a decision soon. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 11:01 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,986 times
Default my take

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzeeq72 View Post
We're going back and forth between a house in Brook Green in Clayton and One in Twisted Oak in Garner. Does anyone have any experience with either of these subdivisions?? Hoping to make a decision soon. Thanks
Been through there:
One section of Twisted Oaks looks nice, the other side (over the road) you can tell by about 3 homes there is no HOA , not that bad but there is a difference but then again I saw about 3 people working on their homes outside. One is more hilly than the other. One is tied into hunters milll which means more friends for kids vs the other side.
There are no dues at twisted oaks.

The subdivision in split between different schools so check that.
Most homes priced OK.
As far as johnston, this area is not too far from most shopping.
Couple of brand new homes still for sale but they have a steep yard, if that doesnt matter then you might get a good deal.

Brooke Green:
Dont know much as it is not that big of a subdivision hence kids would have less local friends so it was a quick drive through.

I it were between the two it would be twisted because there are about 3 subdiviions right there so you should be able to have firends in the close area as well as your kids.

Which house in twisted oaks are you looking at?

Old 07-16-2012, 05:10 AM

Great info, Ducter. Thanks so much for your reply. The house we are looking at in Twisted Oak is at 101 Great Oak.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
Been through there:
One section of Twisted Oaks looks nice, the other side (over the road) you can tell by about 3 homes there is no HOA , not that bad but there is a difference but then again I saw about 3 people working on their homes outside. One is more hilly than the other. One is tied into hunters milll which means more friends for kids vs the other side.
There are no dues at twisted oaks.

The subdivision in split between different schools so check that.
Most homes priced OK.
As far as johnston, this area is not too far from most shopping.
Couple of brand new homes still for sale but they have a steep yard, if that doesnt matter then you might get a good deal.

Brooke Green:
Dont know much as it is not that big of a subdivision hence kids would have less local friends so it was a quick drive through.

I it were between the two it would be twisted because there are about 3 subdiviions right there so you should be able to have firends in the close area as well as your kids.

Which house in twisted oaks are you looking at?

Old 07-16-2012, 05:20 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzeeq72 View Post
Specific and accurate clarification. That development is really two developments by the same builder. Twisted Oaks and Hunters Mill. Hunters has an HOA and Twisted doesn't. Hunter is the more recent of the two. Part of the development has a Clayton mailing address and part has a Garner. Not sure if the mailing address split is at the split between the two names. I would strongly suggest you look at all of the houses available in each development and get the specifics on each including schools etc etc. As far as the quality of life in the development it is quiet and neighborly. Keep driving around both neighborhoods you are looking at and see what on a normal basis you will see happening in Brook Green and Twisted/Hunter. Also do you homework on the builders of the home and what their reputations were when the home was built. The issue of slopes is very valid and of course will be lot dependent.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:59 PM

615 posts, read 1,504,004 times
We've lived in Twisted Oaks for 5 yrs. We love it. We like the proximity to 40/42 and downtown Raleigh(15-20 minutes). We like the "slope"/hilly look..I think it gives the neighborhood some character. There are neighborhood events(block parties, yard sales, etc.) that usually are in conjunction with Hunters Mill which connects to our neighborhood. And the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce sponsors the Strawberry Festival each year at 40/42 and there is also a nice Cleveland 4th of July celebration each year right outside of our neighborhood, near the Emporium/Pelicans Snowballs....a parade, carnival games, food vendors and a good fireworks show.

And if you are looking for a neighborhood pool, Broadmoor is within walking distance(or a 3 minute drive) and is usually never real crowded. We also love the no HOA fee....which is unusual for most subdivisions. I know some people like the fee which ensures the neighborhood is kept up, but we keep our yard intact and so do 95% of our neighbors....so I have never missed the fee or what goes along with it. I can honestly only see a HOA fee for a community center or pool. MOST people keep up their yards fairly nicely if you live in a $200k+ area.(not all, but most). And most of us just take turns keeping up the "common" areas such as the entries to the neighborhood(s). Most of our neighbors who have a pool have in-ground pools and put up nice, attractive fences. There are 2 or 3 with those $80.00 blow pools in the back yards...but I don't know if HOA fees would prevent that anyway..and most are out of sight anyway because of all the trees in the neighborhood/private yards..so it doesnt really bother us.
There some nice choices for nightly bike rides/walks right around the corner such as Pelican's snowballs(snowcones), batting cages, ballfields, playgrounds, pizza/BBQ places and a general store(Emporium)..there is also a small pond in the neighborhood for fishing(access thru a Hunters Mill cul de sac)..as well as a small stream that runs through a few of the properties. The neighborhoos is fairly wooded so we get a lot of deer, groundhogs and blue herons(due to the water).
We have great neighbors, a few of which are now very close friends who we do things with every weekend/every other weekend.
Cleveland Elementary is the school district here, along with Polenta....both are equally nice schools and all of our neighbors seem content with both. My daughter goes to Cleveland High and we have been more than happy with it.
Not sure what else you wanted to know....but we have been very happy here, and so have most of our neighbors. The Cleveland area is one of(if not the most) repaidly growing areas of Johnston County....mainly due to the access to Route 40 and Raleigh and also the quality schools. Property taxes are also a bit lower not being in the legal city limits of Clayton(although we still have Clayton mailing addresses in the neighborhood..as well as Garner...jsut depends what side of the street you are on..LOL)
Good Luck with your choice..there is a lot to choose from....we took 6 months to finally choose when we first moved here(rented first)...and looked at literally dozens of neighborhoods and just kept coming back to this one due to proximity to my job, unique "hilly" look, nice wooded yards and proximity to 40/42. I will say that house prices have not gone up at all(probably have fallen a bit) since we moved here 5 yrs ago..but I think that is true everywhere.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:21 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom5497 View Post
We've lived in Twisted Oaks for 5 yrs. We love it. We like the proximity to 40/42 and downtown Raleigh(15-20 minutes). We like the "slope"/hilly look..I think it gives the neighborhood some character. There are neighborhood events(block parties, yard sales, etc.) that usually are in conjunction with Hunters Mill which connects to our neighborhood. And the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce sponsors the Strawberry Festival each year at 40/42 and there is also a nice Cleveland 4th of July celebration each year right outside of our neighborhood, near the Emporium/Pelicans Snowballs....a parade, carnival games, food vendors and a good fireworks show.

And if you are looking for a neighborhood pool, Broadmoor is within walking distance(or a 3 minute drive) and is usually never real crowded. We also love the no HOA fee....which is unusual for most subdivisions. I know some people like the fee which ensures the neighborhood is kept up, but we keep our yard intact and so do 95% of our neighbors....so I have never missed the fee or what goes along with it. I can honestly only see a HOA fee for a community center or pool. MOST people keep up their yards fairly nicely if you live in a $200k+ area.(not all, but most). And most of us just take turns keeping up the "common" areas such as the entries to the neighborhood(s). Most of our neighbors who have a pool have in-ground pools and put up nice, attractive fences. There are 2 or 3 with those $80.00 blow pools in the back yards...but I don't know if HOA fees would prevent that anyway..and most are out of sight anyway because of all the trees in the neighborhood/private yards..so it doesnt really bother us.
There some nice choices for nightly bike rides/walks right around the corner such as Pelican's snowballs(snowcones), batting cages, ballfields, playgrounds, pizza/BBQ places and a general store(Emporium)..there is also a small pond in the neighborhood for fishing(access thru a Hunters Mill cul de sac)..as well as a small stream that runs through a few of the properties. The neighborhoos is fairly wooded so we get a lot of deer, groundhogs and blue herons(due to the water).
We have great neighbors, a few of which are now very close friends who we do things with every weekend/every other weekend.
Cleveland Elementary is the school district here, along with Polenta....both are equally nice schools and all of our neighbors seem content with both. My daughter goes to Cleveland High and we have been more than happy with it.
Not sure what else you wanted to know....but we have been very happy here, and so have most of our neighbors. The Cleveland area is one of(if not the most) repaidly growing areas of Johnston County....mainly due to the access to Route 40 and Raleigh and also the quality schools. Property taxes are also a bit lower not being in the legal city limits of Clayton(although we still have Clayton mailing addresses in the neighborhood..as well as Garner...jsut depends what side of the street you are on..LOL)
Good Luck with your choice..there is a lot to choose from....we took 6 months to finally choose when we first moved here(rented first)...and looked at literally dozens of neighborhoods and just kept coming back to this one due to proximity to my job, unique "hilly" look, nice wooded yards and proximity to 40/42. I will say that house prices have not gone up at all(probably have fallen a bit) since we moved here 5 yrs ago..but I think that is true everywhere.
I can fully understand and appreciate why you focused on your neighborhood.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:10 PM

615 posts, read 1,504,004 times
LOL Thanks Tuborg...it was long winded, but I hope I was a bit helpful to the OP.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:14 PM

Definitely VERY helpful. Thank you so much! I really appreciate the input from all that posted. Your personal experience is especially helpful.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary