Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 10:18 AM

355 posts, read 958,427 times

Advertisements

For those of you that have relocated or plan to relocate to the area by your own choice, would you mind sharing your experiences? Could you tell us:

1. How did it take you to find a job in the area (from when you started searching in earnest)?

2. Did your salary (or offers) go down, stay the same, or go up?

3. What region or area of the country did you move from?

3. What field are you in?

I think these answers would be of use to a lot of the people on the board that are considering moving to the area. Thanks for your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 10:55 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,608,820 times
1. 8 months. But. . . I was living in Dallas and trying to find a job here. No companies would give me the time of day because I was out of state. After 6 months, I decided to find a head hunter to market me and I agreed to pay for my own move. After that I had a job within 2 months.

2. Salary went up, benefits and perks were a wash, bonuses went down.

3. Dallas TX, y'all

4. Telecommuncations SW Development (I write SW for cell phones)

Old 09-14-2007, 03:38 PM

277 posts, read 798,015 times
1. We moved here at the end of July and are STILL looking.

2. Offers have been lower for the most part.

3.Oregon

4. Construction Superintendent -Residential/Lite Commercial

Anyone know of a solid, family friendly company that's hiring?

Old 09-14-2007, 04:13 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,647,041 times
For me:

1. About a year. The whole search was out of state. I didn't come up here until I had a job secured. Didn't get any responses but from the job I ended up taking. One shot, one kill.

2. I got an overall promotion. Everything else stayed the same because...see #4

3. Miami, FL

4. Federal Government (USDA) administrative position. The position I took was the next progressive level of experience from the one that I had in Miami, but it was NOT a transfer. I had to compete for the position.

For boyfriend:

1. Nine months. This was after I already had my job and we were moved up here.

2. Lower salary, but benefits are better.

3. Jensen Beach, FL

4. Special Events and Recreation

Old 09-14-2007, 04:16 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,062,032 times
Bear in mind that some companies in the area are unwilling to work with head-hunters or recruiters because of their fees. When you go through a recruiter, your potential employer has to feel sure that you are worth the extra 10% to 15% that they'll have to pay to hire you. If you have an excellent track record but you just aren't good at researching job opportunities, a head-hunter may be for you. But if not, you might get more nibbles by going alone.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:54 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,863,920 times
The recruiters we worked with didn't help at all, in fact, I think they hindered my husband's job search, who is in biotech. He finally landed a great job with the help of my sister in law. Sometimes it's about who you connect with.

I am an elementary teacher who, at the last minute, decided to take another year or so at home with my young ones.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:29 PM

2 posts, read 5,315 times
Default From a WV girl.

1. How did it take you to find a job in the area (from when you started searching in earnest)?
I haven't found one yet (of course I haven't moved yet also) but I DO have 3 job interviews lined up for next week already (I move this Monday). Don't listen to people who say "If you're out of state people won't notice you" Not true. All you have to do is let the employers know that you are serious about moving. Once I told them that yes, I already signed the papers on an apartment they were enthusiastic about interviewing me. Also don't be afraid to check back on resumes you've sent out.

Seeing as how I'm fresh out of college I'll take whatever I can get. I haven't talked salaries yet but I'm assuming they'll be pretty low since I have no experience.

Charleston, WV. I went to High Point University then worked in Alaska this past summer.

3. What field are you in?
The arts/education

Old 09-14-2007, 11:46 PM

12 posts, read 47,575 times
1. Still haven't found one! Moved to Cary on 8/1/07. Have been seriously searching for employment for approximately 5 weeks. My husband & I have yet to be contacted for even one interview. (Getting a little discouraged).
2. The salary seems to be higher here compared to where we came from - this is judging from what we have seen online.
3.Ormond Beach, Florida (Daytona Beach)
4.Healthcare (my husband & I are both X-Ray Techs & very sad at the moment to have not found jobs yet).

Old 09-15-2007, 08:50 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,062,032 times
Since I made a comment earlier, I figured I should come back and answer the OP's questions.

I should preface this by saying that we were only looking for a job for my husband. He is not an American and had never worked in this country before, so it's hard to make comparisons, but I'll try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever User Name View Post
My husband was not focused on finding a job in any place in particular. Mr. Steel did a nation-wide job hunt through websites like Monster. We considered jobs in Chicago, San Francisco, Salt Lake City, and the Triangle. He was offered the job in the Triangle about 3 & 1/2 months after starting his search.

Quote:
This is where it's hard to compare! The value of the dollar against the British pound has changed quite a bit in the last few years (I think the pound was worth $1.70 when he left, but it's worth about $2 now). I think that the pay scale is pretty similar to what he was getting before, plus taxes and cost of living are less here than where we lived in England, so in the end we are better off. The only thing that is worse is vacation days. He got about 5 more days of paid holiday at his jobs in England than he gets here. That's mainly a cultural difference.

Quote:
Technically, we moved here from Oklahoma, but the last place where my husband worked was in Brighton, England. It's on the coast just about an hour south of London.

Quote:
4. What field are you in?
My husband makes video games. He's a programmer. He also assists in the hiring process at his company (and they do not like working through recruiters, which is why I made my earlier comment). As for myself, I became a housewife when we moved here.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:05 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,942,317 times
Depending on your field and if it's a specialty the time to find a job will vary tremendously. When you are moving from out of state it's good to have an address because it shows a commitment to coming here that employers like to see. Most companies can wait the two weeks when you give notice but if it going to take you a month or longer and ESPECIALLY in a market like this is there is a hint that you cannot move until you sell your house then don't even bother interviewing. Recruiters and HR personnel want a quick hire and if they can get someone who has 8 out of 10 traits in 2 weeks or someone who is 10 out of 10 in 2 months they are going to go for the 8 out of 10 person 90% of the time. If you have a friend in the area use their address or if it's family the same. Mention you are moving regardless and have already purchased (you don't have to have already) but at least show that you are truly committed. No one wants to hire someone who two weeks later says "I am still waiting to sell my house can you give me another month." save your money, move down and let the job search begin but ONLY if you are in a job field that has plenty of openings. If you are in a very special niche then wait to move until you have a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary