Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 09:44 PM

49 posts, read 81,009 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I didn't realize I could file a claim for minor hail damage (have about 30-50 little dents on the roof and trunk of the car) until someone told me they filed a claim and the insurance paid to fix the car.

I remember my car got hit by a hail storm on or around 04/22/2012 in Cary, but looking at the reports on Storm Prediction Center I don't see anything listed for NC for this time period. I'm 100% sure it happened the weekend of 04/21-04/22 and I need to somehow prove it to the insurance company since it's been almost three months now.

I was hoping someone else on this forum filed a claim for this same storm or would know if the town of Cary keeps a history of all hail reports somewhere.

Thanks, much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 05:37 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,770,529 times
Video: Hail storms the Triangle Saturday

People are surveying the damage left behind Saturday's severe weather.

April 18, 2012 2:16:23 PM PDT | abc11.com

Old 07-17-2012, 05:54 AM

677 posts, read 1,903,348 times
Your insurance company will likely know the dates of recent storms; they'll have received other claims. Most can use a service to check for hail in your area, also. Just tell them you aren't positive of the date.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:11 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdolls4me View Post
Your insurance company will likely know the dates of recent storms; they'll have received other claims. Most can use a service to check for hail in your area, also. Just tell them you aren't positive of the date.
I agree with this. Have they told you to provide proof? I've handled several hail instances and there are always a good number of claims. It shouldn't be an issue, because you can't be the only one.

If they are asking you for proof I'd consider another insurer for the future. I do remember working as a temp for a carrier like this - it's ball-busting, plain and simple, when a company does that.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:53 PM

49 posts, read 81,009 times
Thanks for all the replies! Turns out they never asked for any proof and I got the car fixed.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:09 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,258 times
There's a method for removing a lot of small dents. It involves heating up the metal parts, and then rapidly cooling them. We had a bad hail storm a couple years ago in Michigan and a few people had this done to their cars. Electromagnetic is also another option, but you would have to do some research to who does it. I'm sure your insurance company will know who to contact. I brought it up in case you can get it cheaper than your deductible, and you wont have to worry about increased premiums.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,856,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
There's a method for removing a lot of small dents. It involves heating up the metal parts, and then rapidly cooling them. We had a bad hail storm a couple years ago in Michigan and a few people had this done to their cars. Electromagnetic is also another option, but you would have to do some research to who does it. I'm sure your insurance company will know who to contact. I brought it up in case you can get it cheaper than your deductible, and you wont have to worry about increased premiums.

I've got a vendor who does this work for me, but it's not done by heating the metal parts. It's called paintless dent removal -- essentially, he massages the metal using pre-formed tools, and the metal reverts back into place. Seeing is believing, trust me, because the first time I witnessed it, I couldn't believe what I had seen.

The insurance company likely will have a paintless dent removal person that they work with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary