Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 05:05 PM

164 posts, read 426,673 times

Advertisements

The soon to be wife and I decided we are tired of playing the renting game and decided to possibly invest in some land in the Pittsboro/Moncure area. We are interested in the log cabin and metal roofed style homes and have heard great things about modern modular home construction as they are built in a contained environment to strict code and seem to be becoming similar in appreciation if implemented correctly. We plan to live there for at least five years

Does anyone have experience with log cabin modular homes dealers/contractors in the triangle? We are interested to find out if this is a better idea and more cost effective than stick building one. I would assume construction time is vastly improved. Any thoughts, advice, or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 08:39 PM

After more searching finding it hard to even pinpoint any dealers/contractors that do cabin homes.. Hmm.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:37 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAtlantaTransplant View Post
After more searching finding it hard to even pinpoint any dealers/contractors that do cabin homes.. Hmm.
Have you considered the resale value of a log cabin? I suspect it's not a popular style at all, hence the lack of dealers.

However, there is a log cabin model display center near Rocky Mount, with the address here: http://www.logcabinhomes.com/models.htm

Old 07-22-2012, 11:12 PM

Really? Maybe we should consider that further as I assumed it would be a great style to choose for a secluded tract of land; while driving through the area I have seen quite a few of them. Thanks for the link, seems to be the only thing I saw in or around the triangle. I sent them a message earlier today. Thanks!

Old 07-22-2012, 11:17 PM

Also, to clarify I am talking about the log cabin kit homes. They are modular constructed homes, they are the look of log homes but are built with modern building techniques and constructed of various other materials. Here is an example:

http://log-modular-homes.modularhome...ar-homes-2.jpg

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-23-2012 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: Please do not hotlink to photos not owned by you

Old 07-22-2012, 11:26 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,580,166 times
Quote:
Also, to clarify I am talking about the log cabin kit homes. They are modular constructed homes, they are the look of log homes but are built with modern building techniques and constructed of various other materials. Here is an example:
I also love log homes , Try " Blue Ridge Log Homes", South Carolina , They have many different styles

Old 07-22-2012, 11:28 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
I assumed it would be a great style to choose for a secluded tract of land; while driving through the area I have seen quite a few of them. Thanks for the link, seems to be the only thing I saw in or around the triangle. I sent them a message earlier today. Thanks!
I also have seen homes that look like log cabins, but they are built like a double-wide modular on a foundation, and just sheathed with log trim. That's not what you meant, I assume.

Your idea of a log cabin kit may be available, but I hadn't seen them advertised for years. Are you planning on doing part of the work yourselves?

Old 07-22-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I also have seen homes that look like log cabins, but they are built like a double-wide modular on a foundation, and just sheathed with log trim. That's not what you meant, I assume.

Your idea of a log cabin kit may be available, but I hadn't seen them advertised for years. Are you planning on doing part of the work yourselves?
We were hoping to find a modular home dealer/builder to do everything. I have a background in deck building and finish carpentry but was hoping to use the builder to do the majority of the work.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
I also love log homes , Try " Blue Ridge Log Homes", South Carolina , They have many different styles
Wow these floor plans are awesome! Wondering how affordable some of them are. Thanks for the info my friend! Repped!

Old 07-23-2012, 02:05 AM

Blue Ridge homes sees like a great company, from what I can tell on their social networking pages customers seem to be very happy with the finished product. Any others anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary