Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 06:51 PM

42 posts, read 147,861 times

Advertisements

My parents have a salt inground pool and the yearly cost is not very high due to it being salt and not chlorine and its such a better swimming experience , everyone loves the salt vs chlorine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 08:32 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,022 times
We got a quote for a 16x36 fiberglass with fence, some concrete, salt filter system, etc and it was $35k.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:22 PM

615 posts, read 1,502,889 times
SYP==Thanks. I am very excited..its something I have always wanted(even as a kid) and us being the home-bodies that we are, and doing most of our entertaining here at our own house, along with having out of town visitors alot...I think its a good choice. Also, being a teacher, I will have use of it every day in the summer when I am off. My daughter and I go at leat 1-2x per week to friends' pools during the summer, so now we won't have to do that anymore. We also plan on staying in our present house for at least another 8-10 years, so resale value really is not a huge deal breakers right now. The pool will basically cost @10% of the present value of our house....which is about what the "experts"(realtors) say you should invest in a pool, should you choose to put one in. Being in the real estate/mortgage industry eons ago, I do agree that an in ground pool can be a liability when selling a house..but its something we want and will use for the next 8-10 years, and as you said, we think many more people down south(compared to up north) will be attracted by a nice , easy to maintain, in ground fiberglass saline pool. Some won't, but we think some(like yourself) will look for a moderatly priced house with a in ground pool as a nice "bonus" with how hot is here for a lot of the year(compared to the Northeast), especially if you have older kids.(over age 10). I know I would have snatched one up w if more houses with in ground pools were offered in our price range($200k) when we were house hunting 5 years ago.

cncsmom--Keep in mind that the pool quote we got was for a pool considerably smaller than 16x36 (12x23), with no fence(my dh will do the fence himself within the next year....our county gives you 1 year to put a fence up). The fence alone probalby adds about $3-4k to the overall price, depending on how big your yard is. So that 35k price sounds about right.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:44 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom5497 View Post
SYP==Thanks. I am very excited..its something I have always wanted(even as a kid) and us being the home-bodies that we are, and doing most of our entertaining here at our own house, along with having out of town visitors alot...I think its a good choice. Also, being a teacher, I will have use of it every day in the summer when I am off. My daughter and I go at leat 1-2x per week to friends' pools during the summer, so now we won't have to do that anymore. We also plan on staying in our present house for at least another 8-10 years, so resale value really is not a huge deal breakers right now. The pool will basically cost @10% of the present value of our house....which is about what the "experts"(realtors) say you should invest in a pool, should you choose to put one in. Being in the real estate/mortgage industry eons ago, I do agree that an in ground pool can be a liability when selling a house..but its something we want and will use for the next 8-10 years, and as you said, we think many more people down south(compared to up north) will be attracted by a nice , easy to maintain, in ground fiberglass saline pool. Some won't, but we think some(like yourself) will look for a moderatly priced house with a in ground pool as a nice "bonus" with how hot is here for a lot of the year(compared to the Northeast), especially if you have older kids.(over age 10). I know I would have snatched one up w if more houses with in ground pools were offered in our price range($200k) when we were house hunting 5 years ago.

cncsmom--Keep in mind that the pool quote we got was for a pool considerably smaller than 16x36 (12x23), with no fence(my dh will do the fence himself within the next year....our county gives you 1 year to put a fence up). The fence alone probalby adds about $3-4k to the overall price, depending on how big your yard is. So that 35k price sounds about right.
I'd say you are the perfect candidate for a pool as long as you're willing to maintain or pay for a maintenance contract. go for it, don't look back, and enjoy every minute you're sitting by, looking at, or swimming in your pool.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:27 PM

Thanks RDU biker...we intend to get a lot of enjoyment out of it...as soon as we make up our minds which one we want..LOL.
We feel we did our homework , know the pros and cons, and are not just jumping into this just because its a whim. Its a lot of money(as much as a new car), so its not something to go into without a fair amount of knowledge. We have a budget in mind and we are sticking to it.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:51 PM

45 posts, read 95,860 times
You might want to look into a spa option as well. We had one integrated into our pool so that we could also enjoy it in the winter. It feels great to dial in 98 degrees and jump into the spa during cold weather -- especially when everything is covered with snow!

Old 08-09-2012, 05:19 PM

vcs---yes, we are considering that option for later down the road. The pool company said they can do rough pipes/set up it up for us to do it later. Its not in the budget right now, but we think we may want it next year/in a few years.
Thanks.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:33 PM

397 posts, read 805,053 times
Pools use to be a huge plus 30 years ago. Now everybody is so paranoid about their kids and living in fear that something could happen. It could end up costing you a sale, and lots of parents with young kids won't buy one. You might not get any of your money back if you install a pool.

I think a pool can be great if you have a larger wooded homesite with at least a 1/3- 1/2 acre with some privacy. It's a community area for the kids and family once they get a little older. It can be very relaxing.

It's regional as well. My cousin lives in Tampa, Florida, and it's hard to get a house that doesn't have a pool.

People down South don't have any problems with pools and young kids. It sounds about right for 25 grand on a quality in ground pool.

If I had a pool at my house, I would have to do saltwater.

I can't stand the chlorine in the community pools.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:32 PM

363 posts, read 1,212,069 times
Got this email from our HOA today, this is why we have our own pool and have loved it for the last five years since it was installed:

Subject: Contamination of Pools

Bedford at Falls River Weekly Bedford E-Blasts & Notices - August 9, 2012

The policies put into place to keep our pools open, safe and free of contaminants include swimming diapers and rubber pants for your little ones.

Among other things, one of the reasons that most neighborhood pools have a 10 minute break each hour is because it gives parents a chance to remind children to take a restroom break. We wish to extend our thanks to all of the residents that observe the policies.

Unfortunately, we have had 3 incidents of fecal contamination in the last 6 days. This is unfair to those that are doing what they are supposed to, following the rules that have been put in place to maximize resident use of the pools and enjoyment for all of Bedford. The ultimate goal is for everyone to have an opportunity to enjoy 2 safe and clean pools for the entire pool season, and a loss of several hours while a pool needs to be sanitized from something that could have been prevented is unacceptable.

YEEUUK!!!!!

Old 08-09-2012, 07:39 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
That's nasty. Pee is fine, but poop - yuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary