Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 09:32 AM

615 posts, read 1,503,519 times

Advertisements

Considering a in-ground pool ...for those who have one...what was the average cost of putting one in(total) and annual cost of maintaining it? We are considering a small fiberglass, basic rectangle shape..will need some excavation(sloped lot)...saline is a possibility also.

Just looking for ballpark numbers and experience(worth it? hard to maintain etc.)
THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 12:32 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,573,818 times
We had an inground pool for about ten years. Then we became tired of the endless maintenance: PH up, PH down, chlorine/algaecide .... We buried it and now have beautiful raised gardens.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:01 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,832 times
Default easy

Vinyl is cheaper than fibreglass FYI and to maintain them is the same, easy. Get an automatic cleaner and salt generator as this is what makes your life easy. Rising Sun Pools. Basic vinyl 18*36 will be 22k and up. That is really a just the basics, it just goes up fro there. I think fiberglass is about 25-30% more. Also they will look at your lot for septic lines and such because sometimes you just cant get one.
Old pools were hard to maintain, now they take about15 - 30 minutes a week.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:13 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,415 times
A swimming pool is a hole in the ground into which you throw your money. I had a pool for 4 years and averaged about $500 per year on maintenance. Stuff breaks and has to be replaced, etc. It didn't take that much time to keep it up. After the first month of the summer my kids would lose interest.

If you invest 22K now, you can use that money for things you enjoy throughout the year.

Then take your maintenance money and join a club. Enjoy the social aspects of it and have none of the liability if someone gets hurt.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:36 PM

Not interested in joining a club...did that for years when my daughter was younger and now want to escape the screaming and splashng kids and enjoy the solitude and peace...as for the social aspect..looking forward to inviting close friends, neighbors and family on hot summer days to hang out.
Always dreamed of having my own pool...not really for my daughter(who is 15 now)..but more so for me. Always loved the water....still do.
But thanks for the input!

Old 07-21-2012, 06:29 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,592 times
We're considering the same thing. We're looking at a fiberglass lap pool. A pool is something we know we will enjoy and something we'll use most of the year. Better than paying $875 a year to be part of the community pool that is either packed to the gills or closed due to a floater or puke. Not to mention we can swim whenever we want not only during the hours someone else sets. We are just now starting to look into this. We called Rising Sun Pools and they haven't gotten back to us yet. They said they'd call back to set an appt to review what we want and our backyard space. Since we haven't heard back, we're not very optimistic about their business practices already.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:52 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
You'll want to check out RDUBiker's pool info. He's posted many times about his experience installing one. Start here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...most-here.html

Old 07-21-2012, 07:40 PM

586 posts, read 1,546,776 times
We had an inground vinyl pool installed earlier this year. (Actually December into March in order to get a discount.) We love it. My husband and daughter use it daily. We figure when our daughter becomes a teenager, we will be the hangout house. At night, we will use a small fire pit and put on the pool lights, it is very relaxing. It is 37x40 and cost us around $35,000 altogether because we added a pool heater and lots of concrete. It has been a great stress reliever for my husband!

Old 07-22-2012, 08:11 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,832 times
Default spend

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
A swimming pool is a hole in the ground into which you throw your money. I had a pool for 4 years and averaged about $500 per year on maintenance. Stuff breaks and has to be replaced, etc. It didn't take that much time to keep it up. After the first month of the summer my kids would lose interest.

If you invest 22K now, you can use that money for things you enjoy throughout the year.

Then take your maintenance money and join a club. Enjoy the social aspects of it and have none of the liability if someone gets hurt.
What is a vacation then?
What is a nice car (as if a simple one doesnt do the same thing)?
People can get hurt driving a car yet everyone does it..

I think that people who take multiple vacations a year, drive a lexus and install 20 inches of molding in every room of the house and throwing money away.

At least it is something that can actually be used and not just looked at.
I spend a quarter of that on my pool. Not a single thing broke on my pool for the first 4 years, after that it was a 25.00 part that I replaced myself.
I think this person has decided that they want one so this really doesnt matter.

As far as Rising sun pools, They will call you back, they get busy in the summer but will get to you.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:03 PM

cncs--Please report back if/when you get an estimate..I am very interested in what they tell you.

I agree with you 100% about all you said about having your own pool and not relying on community pool hours and crowds. Nothing against community AT ALL, we belonged to one in New Jersey and it worked out nicely for us for years(actually it was our gym' outdoor pool and it was only $39.oo per month, including gym membership. During the week, we basically had the pool to ourselves).
But now that we can actually use the pool more months out of the year than in NJ, and me being a teacher with summers off, I really think we will get our money's worth out of it. We are home-bodies by nature and like to host parties at our home..., and with our teenage-daughter also prefering to hang out at home with us and 1 or 2 close friends....it just seems like something we would really use(plus I have always dreamed of having my own in ground pool..even as a kid). Even when we are on vacation, we end up at the hotel pool the majority of the time...moreso than the beach/ ocean.

And as another poster said about using it after work...even when school starts again, the thought of coming home to my own little resort after a hard day's work in September or May....is already on my mind(complete with Strawberry Daquiri in hand..LOL)
Post back if you hear from Rising Sun pools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary