U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2007, 07:33 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,142,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
AnotherrelocatingNYer...if you watch the MLS long enough, as I did for six months before buying the house I live in now in Missouri, you'll start noticing that realtors try to 'refresh' listings by pulling them off the MLS and relisting them using pictures at different angles.
So sorry for this dumb question, but how do you tell how long the house has been on the market? I signed up to receive listings from the MLS via e-mail, but I don't see any dates on them. Where should I be looking?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 07:42 AM

959 posts, read 4,313,653 times
I've never seen an mls listing with that info (though maybe some mls services provide it). If there's a property you're particularly interested in just ask your realtor for the info sheet she can see that lists a lot more information and notes for the buyers agent to read.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:28 AM

3,021 posts, read 10,522,773 times
Ctribucher, that isn't a stupid question at all. I don't know of any way to find out this information other than asking a realtor. They can look it up in a database. Just make sure that the realtor checks all alternate spellings for the address! We looked at a house that we thought had been on the market for X months. Well, our realtor was suspicious, so he looked up a couple variations on the address (Specifically, "Court" and "Ct"). Sure enough, he found out that the house was on the system twice and that it had been on the market for twice as long as we thought.

As for the market in the Triangle ... I think it could be quite wrong to just lump it in with The South as that article suggests. This area is in a very unique situation. A couple of times a year, some major magazine tends to come out with an article declaring that this is The Place To Be - the best place to start a business, the best place to find a career, the best place to live. Those articles contribute to the high activity on this very forum. People want to know what makes the Triangle special & many people move here because of what they've found. Of course, a lot of people don't follow up on those articles, too, which is good. If everyone moved down here, the real estate prices would shoot through the roof & it would be even harder to find work - and we wouldn't be on the top of all of those lists anymore.

In my months of house hunting, I have seen that the situation can vary quite widely from one propery to another. I have seen quite a few houses that sold in 2 days and I have seen houses that have sat on the market for months and even one house that has been for sale for a year - all in the same neighborhood, all within a couple blocks of one another. The houses that have been on the market a long time have all been over-priced &/or don't have a particularly pretty lot. The houses that have sold quickly have all been fairly priced &/or are situated on a gorgeous lot. I think this means that buyers can now afford to be picky, but it also seems that whether it's a buyer's market or a seller's market depends upon the particular house in question.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:35 AM

5,296 posts, read 7,689,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
http://marketwatch.nytimes.com/custo...d=NYT&dist=NYT

home sales are crashing. even down here. off by over 10 percent.
Don't pay any attention to David Lereah, mentioned in your article. The rah rah boy is gone. Check these articles from Salon and Reuters posted yesterday.

http://www.salon.com/tech/htww/2007/04/30/lereah3/print.html (broken link)

This article from rom the NYT April 25 edition claims only 8.4% drop. It agrees with your recent article. Only Dallas, Portland and Seattle have increased sales. I'm in Portland and I don't see a drop in prices either. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/25/bu...gewanted=print

Pumping real estate just isn't any fun anymore
Proof that the housing boom is really, really over: The rah-rah chief economist for the National Association of Realtors is quitting his job.

From Reuters
Realtors' upbeat economist, Lereah, steps down
Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:39 PM ET

By Patrick Rucker

WASHINGTON, April 30 (Reuters) - The economist who prodded investors into the U.S. housing boom and has been skewered by bloggers during the bust is leaving a top real estate trade association, the group said Monday.

David Lereah, the author of 'Are You Missing the Real Estate Boom?', will leave the the National Association of Realtors' by the middle of next month after serving as the head economist for seven years, a spokesman said.

Lereah was the Realtors' analyst through the five-year run-up in home values that ended in 2005 and has continued to deliver the group's outlook through the current downturn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary