Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:43 PM

201 posts, read 1,003,745 times

Advertisements

I've heard that Southall subdivision (in Raleigh 27604) is, or at least was, a desirable subdivision? Is this true? It seems that the houses for sale there haven't been moving much and there's a house I'm kind of interested in . We have also been looking in Planter's Walk, areas off Forestville Rd, the more established part of Hedingham, etc. Looking for something under $185K with at least 1600 sq ft and in a nice, safe neighborhood that's not too old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 08:14 PM

997 posts, read 4,644,586 times
Those are definitely some of the nicer neighborhoods in the area for that price range unless you want to head out further and go to Knightdale. Some residents have been complaining about the increased traffic in front of Southall.

I had buyers that liked a home in Southall and Hedingham. They ended up in Hedingham because it had more ammenities for their family and felt more like a community to them they said. They also said they liked the fact that they were close to shopping but when they were in Hedingham they felt like they were in a totally different world.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:17 PM

2 posts, read 10,862 times
Default Southall Subdivision

My wife and I decided to buy a home in Southall subdivision. Though it was not my decision, as that is the case with most married men, I have grown to love this neighborhood. To me, this neighborhood has shown me that hospitality still does exist and that your neighbors are not just people that you nod at when checking the mail or mowing the lawn.

My wife decided on living here because everything that we would want is within a close distance and the back yard is amazing. Downtown, hospitals, 440, 540, and the triangle town center mall are within minutes of the area.

The majority of the neighbors that I have met are extremely friendly and have normally lived here since the neighborhood was created in the mid 90's.

I know that there are plenty of great neighborhoods in Raleigh, but I was fortunate enough to have my wife pick our home in this one.

Moderator cut: TOS Violation

Last edited by autumngal; 05-22-2008 at 05:21 AM..

Old 05-22-2008, 12:13 AM

7,144 posts, read 4,738,653 times
I've heard that the Knightdale area and east Raleigh in general has a more troublesome problem with gangs and crime. Hopefully it's not as bad as it was a year ago.
best,
toodie

Old 05-22-2008, 09:41 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
I sold 3 houses in Southall when it was being built. They really should have named the cul de sac after me! Alot of the homes in there have been maintained very well but I have heard from people living there that some homes and yards are not being maintained and it is affecting their values. To the people that are moving there now, it was a very friendly neighborhood at one time and I hope you'll help get it back to that.

Vicki

Old 05-23-2008, 06:14 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
I've heard that the Knightdale area and east Raleigh in general has a more troublesome problem with gangs and crime. Hopefully it's not as bad as it was a year ago.
best,
toodie
I've heard from some area residents that things are still bad.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:14 AM

19 posts, read 51,839 times
Southall is wonderful subdivision. I've lived there for over 5 years and I've had very few problems. One thing great about Southall, is that there are a lot of long-term 20 year+ residents.

A lot of young families, retirees, and yuppies live in this subdivision. With the mortgage crisis, it thinned out a lot of the people who couldn't afford their house or didn't keep up on their yard work.

I've seen other subdivisions and the yards are out of control. For the most part, people keep their yards in good order in Southall. I've had very few complaints. There are even couples who walk around and pick trash up in their spare time to keep the neighborhood looking nice.

Every morning (even before the sun rises) there are roller bladers, bikers, people walking their dogs, people taking walks, etc. It's a real community.

The only problem I've had is with a few ferral teeangers. However, in a 500+ home community, I don't think anyone is always going to avoid problems of all kinds. Every subdivision has had problems but I haven't had a problem in about 4 years. In fact, all communities in NE Raleigh/Knightdale have had some form of problems (i.e. Hedingham, Wyckford, Southall, New Hope Crossing, Planters Walk, Wide Water, etc).

However, Hedingham is also a good community. Hedingham is a much larger subdivision at 2,000+ homes and the builder is still building in Hedingham, which means that older homes are in direct competition w/ new ones. In regards to lot size, the lots are bigger in Southall. As for traffic patterns, Hedingham has the same kind of traffic entrace as Southall. And like Hedingham, Southall also has a back way into the Subdivision, called Southall Road.

Also, the Southall pool rules are some of the best. We have a pool attendant at all times. You need a southall issued picture ID and a key to enter. Also you can't leave children unattended.

Southall is a mature community, a community that has already worked out the kinks that brand new communities are still working on. Most of these new communities are being thrown up with no thought or sidewalks. The people who live in the new community across the street, Wesleyan, come to Southall to walk and bring their kids to Southall to trick o treat. That should tell people something.

Last edited by Ramona23; 09-18-2008 at 10:32 AM..

Old 09-18-2008, 02:55 PM

185 posts, read 575,689 times
Wouldn't it be great if when folks asked these questions they weren't given hear'say and rumors.
Southall seems like a great community, however I have to sing the praises of Hedingham. Great community, two pools, golf, walking paths-that are chock a block with foot traffic at times (including prams and dog walkers) give this community a great friendly feel. I doubt you will find a single resident here who would ever associate this community with gangs or any of that trash. But as I say, some folks love the rumor mill, just ask those people in SW Durham the reaction they get when they tell people they are from Durham, despite the fact that is a fantastic area to live.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:31 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,436,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I've heard from some area residents that things are still bad.

triangle.com | Know

We used to live in Hedingham (1989-1998) and am also familiar with SouthHall (just up the road). We almost bought a home there, but liked the pool/golf/etc. in Hedingham.
Triangle.com is a great way to search crime statistics.
I plugged in our old street in Hedingham (liverpool) .. I clicked Raleigh... and changed the dates to 2001-01-01 to present. There are 31 hits. Then I clicked "show all incidents in surrounding area." 631 hits for Hedingham since January, 2001. This one popped out from 6/23/2008 - ASSAULT WITH KNIFE OR OTHER CUTTING INSTR.. and this one from 5/29/2007 - SHOTS FIRED.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:42 AM

161 posts, read 602,181 times
I have friends in Southall and Hedingham, and all are happy. They got better houses in these neighborhoods than they could have in North Raleigh or Cary or Inside the Beltline because it is a little further from RTP and it is not the fancy side of town. But they don't work in RTP so they don't care about that, and they don't care about the fancy side of town. I have never heard them mention crime problems, although I haven't asked.

Hedingham is actually a huge area, so I don't think the numbers weluvwakeforest found are all that high. I'm sure we have higher numbers where I live, and I feel very safe. I know we have had shots fired, because I heard them, and it was more recent than the shots fired in Hedingham over a year ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary