Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2007, 11:35 PM

3 posts, read 32,124 times

Advertisements

Hi, all.

I recently moved to the Chapel Hill area from New England, and was dismayed to discover cockroaches in my condo this week. So far, the evidence of their presence is pretty small, but from what I hear, where there is one there are more. I'm trying to do what I can to nip this in the bud, including various DIY treatments. But, I figure that a call to the exterminators will probably be in order.

A few questions about exterminators, from a gal who has lived her whole life until now north of the Mason-Dixon:
What do exterminators generally cost? My place is just around 1000 sq. feet.
Do you have any companies that you would recommend? Are there companies you would steer clear of?

I've read some horror stories about exterminators and toxic chemicals that have made people very sick, so I'm a little wary of this. However, I'm not optimistic about my homemade insecticide and boric acid tricks. Anyone have NC-specific tips (other than keeping a clean house) for dealing with roaches?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 04:07 AM

43,261 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoaster View Post
Hi, all.

I recently moved to the Chapel Hill area from New England, and was dismayed to discover cockroaches in my condo this week. So far, the evidence of their presence is pretty small, but from what I hear, where there is one there are more. I'm trying to do what I can to nip this in the bud, including various DIY treatments. But, I figure that a call to the exterminators will probably be in order.

A few questions about exterminators, from a gal who has lived her whole life until now north of the Mason-Dixon:
What do exterminators generally cost? My place is just around 1000 sq. feet.
Do you have any companies that you would recommend? Are there companies you would steer clear of?

I've read some horror stories about exterminators and toxic chemicals that have made people very sick, so I'm a little wary of this. However, I'm not optimistic about my homemade insecticide and boric acid tricks. Anyone have NC-specific tips (other than keeping a clean house) for dealing with roaches?

Thanks.
I would think that extermination would be covered in your HOS/condo association dues.
Anyway, usually a quarterly trip by a pest control company is sufficient, once there is some control in place. It may take a couple of trips to get things under control in the beginning.
I would expect to pay from $60 to $80 quarterly, with a guarantee for a return service if the little buggers come back out.

Wish I could give you a recommendation, but not sure in Chapel Hill. I think you will be farther ahead to get local service instead of going with a national company, though.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:40 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,152,505 times
Dodson Brothers is great at out apt complex.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:11 AM

3 posts, read 32,124 times
Thanks for the tips. I'll see what I can find about Dodson Bros.

Mike, you're right - in the long run, the HOA should cover this; but right now, I'm the only occupant in my complex, and we don't have a HOA set up yet. Either way, I'll figure it out. If anyone else has recommendations or tips, I'd love to hear them.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:58 PM

13 posts, read 81,762 times
HOAs usually only allow for exterior service with interior upon request.but hey it comes with the fees so use it up......

Welcome

Old 10-07-2007, 09:22 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,095,387 times
It depends on the type of roach. There are german cockraoches, which are known to "infest" apartments. For those, you need to get someone who will spray your interior but it likely won't do much good unless your whole unit is treated. Then there are the regular brown "wood" roaches which generally live outside and find their way in. They do not infest nor breed indoors. For those roaches, there isn't a whole lot you can do. We have regular pesticide service but they still occassionally get in. Put up a few roach traps in key locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary