Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 06:31 AM

61 posts, read 147,217 times

Advertisements

St Mary's would be a rough commute daily, IMO. It would be different to do it for work, but I think you could find wonderful schools much closer. WF is a great town. My office mate technically lives in youngsville, but she has no issues finding hair care, although I think she drives out a bit due to having the very narrow locks. She says very few hairdressers do a good job with those in general. While I don't think WF is as racially diverse as other areas, it's diverse. There are mixed race couples. I really do find it to be a lovely place to live, and hope you will all enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 06:35 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
OP? Have you considered Ravenscroft? It's much closer to Wake Forest.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:52 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
Here is the City-Data page for Wake Forest (they have them for every city/town). You can learn quite a bit with this, also via Wikipedia, the town's own home page, etc.

St. Mary's does have boarding options, right? That would be a dreary commute twice a day, though the 17-TO could get her license, I suppose, and drive them. I think they start at 9th grade, so your 12-YO would not be old enough to go there.

As meh_whatever said, Ravenscroft is up that way, and lots of WF folks go to Ravenscroft (or, did when I was there).

Old 09-21-2012, 09:25 PM

8 posts, read 13,788 times
Thank you Meh_whatever (love the name btw) Yes St Mary's is quite far its around a 40 minute drive from where we will be living but it is the school my fiance would like them to attend. I may have to look into somthing closer as I will not be able to drive for a while once I get there with you all driving on the opposite side of the road to us in the UK hahaha the school does look beautiful though.
Im glad its diverse as I lived in an all white area a few years back, It wasnt awkward for me as I was raised in a white family but it was awkward for my neighbours I dont think they had ever seen someone with brown skin before who wasnt in the pages of national geographic Im really excited about joining the community of WF Ive done alot of research strangely youtube was quite informative. I love that you have seasons we havent had seasons in my part of the uk for a very long time.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:36 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitespixie View Post
Thank you Meh_whatever (love the name btw) Yes St Mary's is quite far its around a 40 minute drive from where we will be living but it is the school my fiance would like them to attend. I may have to look into somthing closer as I will not be able to drive for a while once I get there with you all driving on the opposite side of the road to us in the UK hahaha the school does look beautiful though.
Im glad its diverse as I lived in an all white area a few years back, It wasnt awkward for me as I was raised in a white family but it was awkward for my neighbours I dont think they had ever seen someone with brown skin before who wasnt in the pages of national geographic Im really excited about joining the community of WF Ive done alot of research strangely youtube was quite informative. I love that you have seasons we havent had seasons in my part of the uk for a very long time.
Do you know why your fiancé wants them at a school so far away?

Trust me. This is The South. We are not at all surprised to see dark-skinned people (of varying nationalities).

Welcome!

Old 09-21-2012, 09:48 PM

He says its the best and thats all that matters for our girls. I suspect its because its a girls school hahaha. Is Ravenscroft a catholic school?
Francois thank you I have used the city-data page for research also NCSUDISNEYGIRL thanks my daughters need to have decent hair care I do my own but apparently Im not cool enough (shrug)
St Mary's does take boarders but I nor my children would be happy with that I really need to discuss a closer school with my fiance as I would hate to travel 40mins 2ce a day to and from school or even to work. I think I need to google Catholic schools closer to WF I know a little about St. Catherine's but none others.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:53 PM

Hmmm St.Catherine's is only 8minutes drive from the house :/ its definitely because its a single sex school then. Father's and their daughter's smdh.....

Old 09-23-2012, 06:26 AM

481 posts, read 1,086,372 times
WF is nice and LOVE the beautiful Victorian homes on Main Street, but all depends where you work. My friend lives in Rolesville ( WF neighbor ) and her drive to Durham was 45 minutes - hour. Even with 540, it's a hike ( to me ) if you work in the RTP area. If you work in downtown Raleigh, the distance is less but the traffic off Capital Blvd to get near the beltline then possibly 401 is heavy. Unless you go in early. If you work close by or from home you can definitely get more house for the money.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:52 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,093,500 times
I highly recommend checking into Ravenscroft (it's not Catholic) and asking about scholarships for minorities.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:50 PM

569 posts, read 1,978,032 times
I may be mistaken, but I believe St Catherine's only goes through 8th grade. There is a Catholic HS on Spring Forest just off Capital that would be closer than St Mary's, but it is coed and I don't know anything about it. Saint Thomas More Academy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary