Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 07:50 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times

Advertisements

So I wonder if installing one of these would help your house stand out on the real estate market around here

Schneider Electric EVlink Full 30A Level 2 Electric Vehicle Charging Station EV2430WS at The Home Depot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 07:52 AM

915 posts, read 2,381,626 times
I'm too lazy to read through all the replies, so someone may have pointed it out before, but having poor performance in a hot climate is not a "design flaw". It's a natural side effect of the chemistry of all batteries. Haven't you ever put some batteries in the freezer to eke out the last bit of charge when your remote dies and it's too late to go to the grocery store?

Old 07-31-2012, 08:02 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Quote:
The problem is likely Nissan's air cooling system used for the Leaf's battery. Tesla CEO Elon Musk even predicted that Nissan's cooling system would fail the Leaf at some point back in August of 2010.

Musk said that Nissan's Leaf employed a cheaper air cooling system that would make its battery temperatures jump "all over the place," where cold temperatures would degrade the battery while hot temperatures would shut it down. Tesla, on the other hand, uses a high-end liquid heating/cooling thermal management solution.
DailyTech - Nissan Leaf Battery Can't Take Arizona Heat, Dealerships Knocking $5,000 Off Price

Of course I don't see anybody running out and buying Teslas instead of the Leaf, but if you give it another couple of years I'm sure Nissan's engineers will have come up with a better solution to the battery issue.

Last edited by evaofnc; 07-31-2012 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: a

Old 07-31-2012, 08:11 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
So I wonder if installing one of these would help your house stand out on the real estate market around here

Schneider Electric EVlink Full 30A Level 2 Electric Vehicle Charging Station EV2430WS at The Home Depot
We're about to buy a house here soon (finally) and we will have one of those (or similar) in the garage.

I have friends who built at a Toll Brothers development over in Durham off the Tobacco Trail (name is escaping me)... those were one of the builder options.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
DailyTech - Nissan Leaf Battery Can't Take Arizona Heat, Dealerships Knocking $5,000 Off Price

Of course I don't see anybody running out and buying Teslas instead of the Leaf, but if you give it another couple of years I'm sure Nissan's engineers will have come up with a better solution to the battery issue.
Yeah... this is why I'm a big advocate of leasing new tech instead of buying it.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
I'm too lazy to read through all the replies, so someone may have pointed it out before, but having poor performance in a hot climate is not a "design flaw". It's a natural side effect of the chemistry of all batteries. Haven't you ever put some batteries in the freezer to eke out the last bit of charge when your remote dies and it's too late to go to the grocery store?
Hehehe... yep. I said that earlier. The part about heat and batteries, not the batteries in the freezer. I may try that sometime.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:16 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
We're about to buy a house here soon (finally) and we will have one of those (or similar) in the garage.

I have friends who built at a Toll Brothers development over in Durham off the Tobacco Trail (name is escaping me)... those were one of the builder options.
Never too early to future-proof. Two of the three bays in our garage under construction have boxes and conduit for future 220 service. We only ran a 60 amp line from the house to the garage but have an empty conduit in our yard if we need to bump up the electrical in the future to support the 220, and to support future solar panels on the south side of the garage.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Never too early to future-proof. Two of the three bays in our garage under construction have boxes and conduit for future 220 service. We only ran a 60 amp line from the house to the garage but have an empty conduit in our yard if we need to bump up the electrical in the future to support the 220, and to support future solar panels on the south side of the garage.
Yes! All great ideas. We are big fans of going ahead and planning for these things. It's easier than having to run it later.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:20 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,789,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

We installed one when we leased our Volt It was super easy.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:50 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
New minivans are still only getting 17mpg (I'm talking city driving which is typical for me).
Which minivans? We have a 2011 Toyota Sienna. We regularly average 20-21 miles per gallon for 'around town' driving." When we get on the highway, we are up to 23-24 miles per gallon average, usually with 5 people and several suitcases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary