Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 01:42 PM

188 posts, read 1,144,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I think it is egomaniacal to tell a teacher who says he/she is happy with their situation that they are looking through rose-colored glasses. None of the facts liliping has stated about teacher pay have been contradicted or proven to be inaccurate by another source. People are free to disagree with her opinion, but the facts stand on their own. Check them out, and come to your own conclusion.

I love how people are identified as seeing the world through "rose-colored glasses" simply because they are happy.
Thanks, NRG. Urbywan always tends to put a negative spin on things. He's always an "expert," so I've learned to basically disregard what he says.

I've only posted facts so far. Now for my opinion. I've worked at schools in PA, MI, and NC. My school in WCPSS is the best school I've ever worked at. The principal is great, my co-workers are experts and kind. Do I wish I got paid more? Sure. Doesn't everyone? Do I think the benefits need work? Sure. But the opportunity cost here is my workplace. I'd rather have the best school than work in a crummy school with an awesome salary and benefits.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
Are there opportunities for teachers to work at track out or summer camps for extra money? Or tutoring, etc?
Yes, you can sub for the school system during your track-out.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:50 PM

[quote=urbywan;1641146]Lili,

The fact that you have to pay for the health coverage for your spouse and children is a big cost factor. 40K at 6 years experience is well a bit weak wouldn't you say? QUOTE]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that most employers require you to pay a certain amount per month to cover your spouse and family. I could have a certain amount deducted from my paycheck each month, but I shopped around and found it was less expensive to purchase from BCBS.

Also, I have 5 full years of experience. Considering I work 10 months out of the year, I don't think 40K is as terrible as you make it out to be.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,432 times
I work for Durham Public Schools (next door to Wake) and have enjoyed it here. To me, the pay is fine for young professionals. I would love to make a bit more money, but even most younger teachers (I have been in 8 years) are buying townhomes. Cost of living is not a problem in Durham.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:47 PM

709 posts, read 934,960 times
[quote=liliping;1642825]
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Lili,

The fact that you have to pay for the health coverage for your spouse and children is a big cost factor. 40K at 6 years experience is well a bit weak wouldn't you say? QUOTE]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that most employers require you to pay a certain amount per month to cover your spouse and family. I could have a certain amount deducted from my paycheck each month, but I shopped around and found it was less expensive to purchase from BCBS.

Also, I have 5 full years of experience. Considering I work 10 months out of the year, I don't think 40K is as terrible as you make it out to be.

Comments like this one Quote I work 10 months I don't think 40K is as terrible as you make it out to be. Is odd.

You NEED union representation! Oops North Carolina is the only state in the nation that for forbids Collective bargaining! So No union!

Oh by the way taught in New Jersey for 30 years, had medical bennies for my wife and children paid in full with the traditional plan not an HMO!Had also a great dental plan and prescription 5 dollar co pay! The entire time I taught. Oh and now I have that for my retirement. Its ugly in the wake county north carolina schools, but if you like it more power to ya. I went on strike for better wages and bennies, IT WORKS!!

Lili,

YOU ARE WORTH MORE THAN 40K!!! start thinking that way! Teachers need to think outside the box here in North Carolina we need to change the collective bargaining laws. Only then will salaries increase to a wage that represents the profession that we work in!

Old 10-05-2007, 09:27 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,185 times
If you find teaching elsewhere better, please return, or stay, there.

I retired for health reasons two years ago when my husband's job brought us to the area. My entire teaching career had been in NC, 25+ years of it with the New Hanover County Schools. My starting salary in 1977 was roughly $12,000 annually. It was difficult to live on, but you learn to budget, and live within your means.

Teaching, while not rewarded monetarily, is still a rewarding profession. I did not like all of the job, any more than I think most people like all of what constitutes any "job," but it was a good career, and I accepted it with all of its shortcomings. The day I no longer liked it, I could have done something else, even if it was flipping burgers and asking, "Fries with that?"

There are NO unions in NC. It is illegal, but there are teacher advocacy groups like NCAE (part of NEA) and the American Teachers' Federation, to which a teacher may belong. Health benefits are offered to educators at no expense, but some plans require $ from the teacher, including covering one's spouse, children, or family. The coverage has been good coverage for me and my family. As a retiree, I am covered by the State's Health Plan at no expense to me, but I choose to pay to cover my spouse and college-aged daughter.

There is tenure in the State, and tenure from County to County and system to system is recognized, following a brief period of employment, in the new area -- generally a year, I think. Teachers in the State earn tenure on the first day of the fourth year, when gives most teachers some security -- the poor teachers, too much security, in my opinion.

There are incentives for pay increases, such as earning National Teachers' Board Certification. For me, it was a 12% pay increase, and the certification was recognized for ten years. This was, without a Master's degree. A Master's degree in an area in which you teach earns a higher salary, but for my situation, the National Board certification was better. The State pays the fee for you to be a Nat'l Board candidate -- you do not even need to be successful, but you are required to complete the process. The year I chose to do it, it was like receiving a $2300 bonus. By contrast, a friend of mine in another State had to pay the fee herself.

Coaches, department chairs, club advisors, and the like, earn small stipends. Granted, not enough to offset the time involved, but it is foolhardy to choose education as a career if you envision being a multi-millionaire. I contend there is something wrong when a pro ball player or actor makes mega millions, and public school teachers are entrusted with the future leaders and workers of the country.

Teachers in most NC schools, at all levels, serve some sort of duty, unfortunately, but it is not entirely without reason, or arbitrary. I appreciated the teachers who served duty in the cafeteria where my daughter attended school, or were on bus duty until children were safely loaded aboard the bus and headed towards home. At the HS, I helped keep the halls clear during lunch, and my colleagues did the same for me while I taught. Duty at a ballgame or other event could actually be pleasurable -- I was around lots of students and parents, and colleagues I didn't get to see most days.

NC schools are good to work for, overall, but like any other job community, some schools are a better work environment than others, for any number of reasons.

If you want higher pay and teachers' unions, stay in an area where those are available.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:42 PM

58 posts, read 63,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
If you find teaching elsewhere better, please return, or stay, there.

I retired for health reasons two years ago when my husband's job brought us to the area. My entire teaching career had been in NC, 25+ years of it with the New Hanover County Schools. My starting salary in 1977 was roughly $12,000 annually. It was difficult to live on, but you learn to budget, and live within your means.

Teaching, while not rewarded monetarily, is still a rewarding profession. I did not like all of the job, any more than I think most people like all of what constitutes any "job," but it was a good career, and I accepted it with all of its shortcomings. The day I no longer liked it, I could have done something else, even if it was flipping burgers and asking, "Fries with that?"

There are NO unions in NC. It is illegal, but there are teacher advocacy groups like NCAE (part of NEA) and the American Teachers' Federation, to which a teacher may belong. Health benefits are offered to educators at no expense, but some plans require $ from the teacher, including covering one's spouse, children, or family. The coverage has been good coverage for me and my family. As a retiree, I am covered by the State's Health Plan at no expense to me, but I choose to pay to cover my spouse and college-aged daughter.

There is tenure in the State, and tenure from County to County and system to system is recognized, following a brief period of employment, in the new area -- generally a year, I think. Teachers in the State earn tenure on the first day of the fourth year, when gives most teachers some security -- the poor teachers, too much security, in my opinion.

There are incentives for pay increases, such as earning National Teachers' Board Certification. For me, it was a 12% pay increase, and the certification was recognized for ten years. This was, without a Master's degree. A Master's degree in an area in which you teach earns a higher salary, but for my situation, the National Board certification was better. The State pays the fee for you to be a Nat'l Board candidate -- you do not even need to be successful, but you are required to complete the process. The year I chose to do it, it was like receiving a $2300 bonus. By contrast, a friend of mine in another State had to pay the fee herself.

Coaches, department chairs, club advisors, and the like, earn small stipends. Granted, not enough to offset the time involved, but it is foolhardy to choose education as a career if you envision being a multi-millionaire. I contend there is something wrong when a pro ball player or actor makes mega millions, and public school teachers are entrusted with the future leaders and workers of the country.

Teachers in most NC schools, at all levels, serve some sort of duty, unfortunately, but it is not entirely without reason, or arbitrary. I appreciated the teachers who served duty in the cafeteria where my daughter attended school, or were on bus duty until children were safely loaded aboard the bus and headed towards home. At the HS, I helped keep the halls clear during lunch, and my colleagues did the same for me while I taught. Duty at a ballgame or other event could actually be pleasurable -- I was around lots of students and parents, and colleagues I didn't get to see most days.

NC schools are good to work for, overall, but like any other job community, some schools are a better work environment than others, for any number of reasons.

If you want higher pay and teachers' unions, stay in an area where those are available.

Loving the being a teacher thing is well getting old. I find many in the profession are making excuses for the poor salary and poor working conditions. Funny there are NO Unions here in North Carolina, what is the excuse for such bad schools? Short of wake and mecklinberg most of the state has an awful reputation and test scores to prove the terrible schools.

Money? You bet they should pay teachers more then you might attract the best and brightest. You sure will not now. Sure wake has the best salary in the state but head to Harnett or Johnston Counties and its much less, add pension deductions of almost 7% a year and then add medical bennies for your spouse and children sorry it really is not worth working in the profession here.

CT, CA, NY MA have fantastic salaries go back? Why would you say that?

I think the poster was thinking that maybe we teachers should demand to be treated as professionals, not hourly workers.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:28 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,185 times
Would you contend that poorly performing schools, then, are the sole fault of teachers? And unions will make them better? I am afraid I am not following the logic here.

After 25 years of teaching in NC, I never felt like an hourly worker, nor did I ever feel as if I were treated like one. I am merely tired of some wanting to whine about the pay -- I wasn't attracted to the profession for the salary, I assure you. It was something much greater, and a bit more altruistic. I thought of myself as a professional, I earned being treated as one, and I was. It had nothing to do with the figure on my monthly pay stub.

If teachers want better pay, and unions, go to the states where they are available. Actually, some of the best opportunities for educators are with DODDS.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:09 PM

58 posts, read 63,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Would you contend that poorly performing schools, then, are the sole fault of teachers? And unions will make them better? I am afraid I am not following the logic here.

After 25 years of teaching in NC, I never felt like an hourly worker, nor did I ever feel as if I were treated like one. I am merely tired of some wanting to whine about the pay -- I wasn't attracted to the profession for the salary, I assure you. It was something much greater, and a bit more altruistic. I thought of myself as a professional, I earned being treated as one, and I was. It had nothing to do with the figure on my monthly pay stub.

If teachers want better pay, and unions, go to the states where they are available. Actually, some of the best opportunities for educators are with DODDS.
With teachers thinking as you do, the profession will never move out of the low pay status that you feel is appropriate. Altruism does not pay the bills.
Union representation is an american right, the fact that north carolina is the only state in the country that will not allow collective bargaining is a joke. The southern old boy network in full force. I will say it again there is no reason not to have the AFT or NEA negotiate contracts for the teachers here in NC.

The law must be changed. It will.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:43 PM

19 posts, read 74,493 times
Post Keeping things the way they have been.

I am all for you northerners unionizing and trying to bring together a harmonic balance across the entire state. However, I believe it will be a very long time before it will ever be allowed.

My wife is a teacher and she makes less than $30,000 year and we both agree she is well paid. She works very hard, goes in very early and come home very late. She spends extra time with every kid. She purchases activities constantly to help the kids with development.

The idea of a $60,000+ salary for average teachers is not feasible. The inflation over the past two decades has come to a halt. It is time to adjust to a steady income.

I myself have had to adjust dramatically working for the state. No guarantee on annual raises. The raises are usually pennies, compared to a private sector position. No Christmas bonus, the insurance is average, no pay-for-performance.

I believe the teachers that are upset with county positions should look at other alternatives (e.g., private schools). Many schools around the state pay very well for very good teachers.

Working for a local, county, state position, will never offer big bucks to most employees. People work in these positions for "security". There are no perks, it is literally for job security.

The idea of bigger salaries, is exactly the problem with NC's housing prices. They have jumped dramatically over a few years.

I have to admit, you northerners sure are lucky. I have a buddy that is making twice what he should and he is living in Cary for half of what NJ cost him for less space. He loves it, he owns two cars, dines out constantly, rolling in dough.

It is tough for the natives here. Any one earning a salary over $40,000, really had to work for it. Even with a decent college education, most employees start in the low $30 K.

Being a "Teacher" requires a special person. If your in it for a salary, you definitely need to reconsider. It is the end result that is the true pay.

Maybe this mentality should prompt annual screening of all county teachers. A teacher would be required to take tests regarding the position pros and cons. This would help evaluate whether or not the person should continue to be a teacher.

Think about it, if you really want to earn more than $40K annually for teaching, your in the wrong profession.

My heart goes out to all the good teachers that accept that their salaries are second to the love of the experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary