Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 08:49 PM

58 posts, read 63,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
More like if you are going to raise teachers salaries then they should be able to raise student results. Why pay them more if the kids don't get more? You don't pay a sales person more when they are not selling you increase their potential income by bumping up bonuses. One they see what they can make IF they perform then they are paying for themselves. Now being that teachers don't generate revenue directly they are not "paying for themselves but I am sure schools that perform better get better treatment. I could be wrong though.
Wrong.

Have you seen the parents that raise the little darlings??

Please, students are being raised by wolves.

I am not saying pay teachers monster salaries but a person who has taught for 20+ years with a masters degree should earn upwards of 80+K a year.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:50 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,906,663 times
Default Then we need to be thankful and appreciative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzen View Post
Yes the pension, something that many want to cut down.
Approx 20% of workers in the United States today now have pension benefits. The average pension is only about $9,000 per year. WE need to be thankful to the public and appreciative of the tax sacrifice they are making to provide us what they don't get. If we are ingrates what can we expect them to do when they are footing the bill.
People aren't happy about state and local taxation for government services and pensions etc. Some are so ticked off elsewhere that they are trying to escape and move to the triangle.
Reason Foundation Commentary: Public-Sector Pension Crisis Worsens

Old 10-06-2007, 08:58 PM

Default Why?

Quote:
Wrong.

I am not saying pay teachers monster salaries but a person who has taught for 20+ years with a masters degree should earn upwards of 80+K a year.
Why because they want to make that much? How many can go into their boss and say I should make 80K because I been doing it so long and don't worry about the results? Ok granted your average phys ed major with a master makes 95K in the private sector and your average journal editor make about 92K and the person who tells you shhhh in the public library is bringing in 110K. Oh yeah and the well rounded degree that gives you a little of everything brings in a wopping 125K in the private sector. The average historian makes I believe 85K darn luck of being a history major. Yes being a teacher is such a rip off when compared with what your degree brings you in the private sector. Hate to lose you from the profession but I guess the big bucks will lure you away.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:06 PM

43,043 posts, read 76,570,629 times
I think ol' Tuborg has an opinion here, if he could just elucidate.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:13 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,911,339 times
Quote:
Wrong.

There you go with the "it's the parents fault" excuse. Yes parents need to be involved and I understand that but you have 8 hours per day to get these kids attention. It's just like sales in the classroom, you build credibility, show you know the product, find out the clients needs and then sell them on the benefits. If procurement is not allowing the buyer to spend then you find out what the problem is with procurement, solve those issues, return to the buyer and complete the sale. If you give your students buy in as well as the parents then you have a raving fan backing you up. Does this always work? No of course not but at least you can say you tried.

Now I am assuming you are an educator.....when you started teaching did you see yourself making 80k after 20 years or where you aware of the fact that teachers were not "making what they deserve"? Also, just because you have been somewhere for 20 years and have your Master's means nothing in the real world. It's about results, it's about environment and it's about the profession. If we go by your logic then anyone who has worked as a teacher for the past 20 years (and has passed one student that whole time and of course has not been fired because they are part of a teachers union) and decided to go and get their Master's Degree in an unrelated field should automatically get 80k. Yeah that sounds smart. I respect teachers more than you know and my argument is not that they should not get paid more but it should be like in the real world where they EARN it. Just showing up and furthering your education means NADA without results. Your attitude is gimme, gimme, gimme and that's the issue with some teachers. It should be giving, giving, giving because the teaching profession is about giving to your students. You want a fancy pension and a 6 figure income go somewhere else because the last person I want teaching my kids is a teacher with a "tip jar" instead of an apple on their desk.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Why because they want to make that much? How many can go into their boss and say I should make 80K because I been doing it so long and don't worry about the results? Ok granted your average phys ed major with a master makes 95K in the private sector and your average journal editor make about 92K and the person who tells you shhhh in the public library is bringing in 110K. Oh yeah and the well rounded degree that gives you a little of everything brings in a wopping 125K in the private sector. The average historian makes I believe 85K darn luck of being a history major. Yes being a teacher is such a rip off when compared with what your degree brings you in the private sector. Hate to lose you from the profession but I guess the big bucks will lure you away.

Lets see Tuborg, it used to be a good beer.

Anyway,

8 state championships in track over my 30 year teaching career. 3 students accepted to the military academies. Dozens accepted to Ivy League schools. I know of 10 different doctors that came out of my classes, a state senator, and alway recieved superior evaluations by my administrators during that time. I guess I am a lousy teacher. I made the profession work for me by working in a district that paid well and treated me as a professional. I see the complete opposite down here in the carolinas.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:19 PM

Default You better believe I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I think ol' Tuborg has an opinion here, if he could just elucidate.

The wife and I are about to retire. I have been in the profession for 36 1/2 years and my wife will have in 37 1/2 years. I have done it all and she has taught Education in the same school for all those years. This is a great profession and we have been blessed and know we don't have to work another day in our life. We have been fortunate to help other parents raise their children and this profession gave us the golden opportunity to do a grand job raising our own. It is a wonderful opportunity for people to enjoy life as they work and retire young. Pension, investments and social security are the three legs of retirement. Most people have lost one of those legs we in education have all three. How can I complain when I am retiring young. You my friend are the opposite extreme of our profession. If you don't sell you don't get paid. If you don't invest you don't have retirement down the road. You have to ride the ups and down of the economy, the good and the bad. It is obvious you have a passion for what you do. Every home buyer needs a buyers agent with your passion and shouldn't every child deserve an educator with equal passion? Do we want more from our realtor then our child's teacher? I have seen it written that our home is our most important investment. What about our family? Should we willingly trust our kids with a disgruntled teacher? We wouldn't our house.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
There you go with the "it's the parents fault" excuse. Yes parents need to be involved and I understand that but you have 8 hours per day to get these kids attention. It's just like sales in the classroom, you build credibility, show you know the product, find out the clients needs and then sell them on the benefits. If procurement is not allowing the buyer to spend then you find out what the problem is with procurement, solve those issues, return to the buyer and complete the sale. If you give your students buy in as well as the parents then you have a raving fan backing you up. Does this always work? No of course not but at least you can say you tried.

Now I am assuming you are an educator.....when you started teaching did you see yourself making 80k after 20 years or where you aware of the fact that teachers were not "making what they deserve"? Also, just because you have been somewhere for 20 years and have your Master's means nothing in the real world. It's about results, it's about environment and it's about the profession. If we go by your logic then anyone who has worked as a teacher for the past 20 years (and has passed one student that whole time and of course has not been fired because they are part of a teachers union) and decided to go and get their Master's Degree in an unrelated field should automatically get 80k. Yeah that sounds smart. I respect teachers more than you know and my argument is not that they should not get paid more but it should be like in the real world where they EARN it. Just showing up and furthering your education means NADA without results. Your attitude is gimme, gimme, gimme and that's the issue with some teachers. It should be giving, giving, giving because the teaching profession is about giving to your students. You want a fancy pension and a 6 figure income go somewhere else because the last person I want teaching my kids is a teacher with a "tip jar" instead of an apple on their desk.
No my friend I saw my students for 43 mins about 170 days a school year.

Well what about the teachers over the past 20 years that HAVE EARNED IT??

Your rational is BS. You would rather not pay anymore taxes. But you will drive an suv that gets poor gas mileage but still pay 3+ a gallon because its america and a free country. Please. Better you should home school your kid.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:23 PM

Default Then be happy

Quote:
Lets see Tuborg, it used to be a good beer.

Anyway,

8 state championships in track over my 30 year teaching career. 3 students accepted to the military academies. Dozens accepted to Ivy League schools. I know of 10 different doctors that came out of my classes, a state senator, and alway recieved superior evaluations by my administrators during that time. I guess I am a lousy teacher. I made the profession work for me by working in a district that paid well and treated me as a professional. I see the complete opposite down here in the carolinas.
I never said you were lousy and you had a great career. Enjoy the success you had and let that be your business card. Most people can't look back at their career and have the intrinsic satisfaction you and I can. We are blessed and should share that with those who complain so they can find the satisfaction you and I had.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:24 PM

19 posts, read 74,413 times
Default So the problem isn't the salary, it sounds like the work load?

I and the majority of other NC citizens across the state believe teachers are very well paid for their services. However, it is apparent that teachers are over-extending themselves.

This isn't something that can be solved at the school district level. We must demand a reform in our State's educational requirements for K-12. We are trying to push too much on our students and their families.

Teachers have 180 days to teach a currculum. Isn't it amazing how every teacher can give their students a crash course the last week of school, prior to EOC testing?

There is no need for home work, for so many projects. Teachers need to do their job in front of the students during their paid time.

For the teachers that complain about working more than ten hours a day, get used to it. The average American worker spends atleast ten hours away from the home per day due to work related activities (commuting, scheduled work, prep).

Things aren't going to be rosey for any one. Our era has changed, in the sense of pushing more work out for a less amount of time. We are driving ourselves insane.

Some people believe that higher salaries might be the answer for their over-extending hours. Well, it isn't, it is a temporary bandaid for a bigger problem. Teacher's must get back to basics. Do what you do best. Get up in front of the board and teach. It is so simple, it is inconceivable for most to comprehend.

We need to back off K-12 in some areas of study. I still find it very difficult to believe that every once in a while some young kid will be interviewed on t.v. and the viewer can barely make out a sentence.

If you remove the few bad apples from the bunch, you will salvage the whole crop. Why do teachers tolerate misbehavior? They are afraid of confrontation, completely understandable. Our principals must do more. Kids that are disruptive and abusive to other students must be removed and disciplined accordingly.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary