Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 12:51 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,114,450 times

Advertisements

I have to take a family member to an appointment 3 times a week around this area for 2 hours. I found a little strip mall close by with Joe Van Gogh (formerly cup a joe) coffee shop. There isn't much else in the shopping center of interest to me (It's called Timberlyne, I think). Anyway, what else is there to do close by to kill 2 hours? I don't want to get into the habit of going somewhere to eat all the time. The movie theaters in the shopping center don't show any movies until late afternoon. Any other ideas of places to go? Parks? Bookstores? A mall just to browse? A place to sit and read my kindle?

Last edited by lamishra; 07-30-2012 at 01:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 01:20 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
Across the street from Tymberlyne is a complex of medical offices where you could sit in AC and read your Kindle. It is called Vilcom Center. You will not even have to go into the doctors office as there are some comfortable chairs in the main lobby but if you want to I doubt Chapel Hill Doctors would mind your sitting there.

Is University Mall too far for you to drive for recreational shopping? Chapel Hill Library is there as well.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:21 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
If you don't need to stay within shouting distance you can go down Weaver Dairy Rd a little bit more to Cedar Falls park (Cedar Falls Park) or back down Airport/MLK to Homestead Park and Aquatic Center (Town of Chapel Hill : Homestead Park). The Aquatic Center is very nice if you like to swim.

If you're looking for a bookstore, the closest one is probably Flyleaf right down Airport/MLK (Flyleaf Books | Reading Matters). It's a great independent bookstore.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:57 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Flyleaf is a great place to kill some time. Locally-owned independent bookstore - not many of them left. They have plenty of comfy chairs for reading.

Cedar Falls park doesn't have much to offer, but Homestead park is a good suggestion.

For coffee (or wine), ditch the strip mall and head to Caffe Driade

Old 07-30-2012, 02:34 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Cedar Falls park doesn't have much to offer, but Homestead park is a good suggestion.
Why do you say that CHTransplant? Cedar Falls has more nature trails than Homestead. Of course, if you wanna go swimming or skateboarding Homestead is the clear winner, but other than that I think they're pretty comparable. I used to take the kids to both when they were little and Cedar Falls has a pretty good playground, tennis courts, and ball fields, too.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:56 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
True - I was thinking more about places to sit and read. I put my foot in my mouth when I said "not much to offer."

Old 07-30-2012, 03:09 PM

146 posts, read 295,180 times
Head up Martin Luther King Road toward Chapel Hill.

Homestead Market is about halfway to town, on the right. There's a little coffee shop/lunch/ice cream spot there. Good internet access. Continue on up MLK and Midtown Market is on left. Others have recommended Flyleaf Books. Great place.

Another relatively short drive would be to Maple View Farm for ice cream. I know you're looking for some non-food places and although this is food, I've found it to be very comforting. My Mother had to have a series of medical procedures (in Burlington) with me driving back and forth several times a week. I would periodically go a bit out of my way and have ice cream at Maple View, sit on their front porch, and just do nothing. I would sit there about an hour, because it was a wonderful way for me to relax after stressful medical visits. Their front porch looks out over fields and cows. It's crazy with kids on weekends, but weekdays were peacefully relaxing.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:32 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,114,450 times
Thanks for al the suggestions. They all sound good. We will definitley be stopping by Maple View Dairy, but that is one place I DEFINITELY don't want to make it a habit of going 3 times a week!!!

Old 07-30-2012, 05:47 PM

612 posts, read 1,280,899 times
There's a skate park at the Homestead Park. With 6 hours a week of practice you'll be in the X Games in no time

Chapel Hill Skatepark by Vertical Urge

There's also a pretty active tennis ladder in the area, with some courts pretty close by on Estes at the middle school. If you throw out a match I'd bet you'd find a taker, of whatever skill level you'd be at. Three times a week tennis matches would be great free exercise.

Tennis Ladder for the Triangle Area, NC: Durham, Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Carrboro, Roxboro, Hillsborough, Mebane/Efland and more!

There's also some mountain bike trails right down the road

http://www.trianglemtb.com/chapelhill.php

but, if it were me I think I'd buy a silent guitar and get 6 more hours of practice in every week without bothering anyone

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/prod...ure/index.html

Last edited by j-mart77; 07-30-2012 at 05:56 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 07:31 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,964,220 times
There's hiking/mountain biking trails off Seawell school road, about a mile away off Homestead. And more hiking 2 miles to the north, there's duke forest along whitfield road, and the Johnson's Mill Triangle land conservancy trails along new hope creek.

I'll second Flyleaf as a great local bookstore. Fosters next door is a nice spot for lunch/coffee.

The Chelsae is an independent theater in the corner the Timberlyne strip mall (different from the Timberlyne theaters, much more art films).

Timblerlyne actually has three very good restaurants in Queen of Sheba (ethiopian), Margarets Cantina and Oishii (sushi). Sage is also pretty good for vegetarian/vegan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary