Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 08:27 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times

Advertisements

I read about this place in the News & Observer over the weekend and was curios if anybody on this forum had been there yet? It is located on the corner of Burlington Mills and Forestville roads in Wake Forest.

From the article it sounds like in addition to typical convenience store items they sell some locally made stuff like eggs and larry's beans coffee. I might make a trip up there this weekend to check it out, but I was interested in hearing others share their experience if they had been there. Sounds like a cool place.

Wake Forest finds new gathering spot in reopened market - News - ClaytonNewsStar.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 01:36 PM

464 posts, read 1,044,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I read about this place in the News & Observer over the weekend and was curios if anybody on this forum had been there yet? It is located on the corner of Burlington Mills and Forestville roads in Wake Forest.

From the article it sounds like in addition to typical convenience store items they sell some locally made stuff like eggs and larry's beans coffee. I might make a trip up there this weekend to check it out, but I was interested in hearing others share their experience if they had been there. Sounds like a cool place.

Wake Forest finds new gathering spot in reopened market - News - ClaytonNewsStar.com
I live right down the road from that place. It is in the same building as the small "convenience" store that got shut down for its gambling room. I havent been in since the new owners officially opened but can stop by to see what all they offer. Having a close place for Larry's Beans intrigues me. Thanks for prompting me to stop in.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:42 PM

757 posts, read 2,083,364 times
I visited on Sunday. We didn't look around too much. We did have some Larry's Beans coffee which was really great.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:02 PM

49 posts, read 188,578 times
They put a cool, vintage Coke mural up recently. Looks like a nice place, compared to what it was before!

Old 08-09-2012, 11:17 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
The people that own it, also own the Harvest Moon store across the street. They decided to open it so that there was some type of "convenience" store in the area. I have not been there, but I frequent Harvest Moon quite a bit, and it is fabulous!

Leigh

Old 08-09-2014, 09:08 AM

258 posts, read 673,059 times
I also live just down the road from it. I can give you quite a bit of history.

The Land is owned by a man named "Arthur Ray Brown" he lives in florida, owns some motels. The actual store is leased.

It used to be owned by Mac "Smack Dab" Eddins. One of the best guys you could ever meet. His son, Reno Eddins, used to live behind me. When I first moved here to this neighborhood 15 years ago and mac still ran the store (he died bout 7-8 years ago). It was full of hardware and everything you could imagine. We called him Smack Dab because he was always willing to reach into his own pocket which was "Smack Dab full o money" and pay for your gas/grocery item and say "just get me later"....starting out my own business then, new wife, new baby, there were a few times the ole debit card declined on me and I'd already pumped some gas. Smack Dab just pulled the $$ out of his pocket, and I paid him on the way home. We all still miss him and his generous heart. He helped out a lot of folks.

When he died the store sat vacant for a bit. Until the business was re-opened by a foreign guy who went by the name of Mike. He cleared out all the hardware and "country charm" and filled the store with less than desirable merchandise, and later the gambling machines...Lot of rumors swirled about the goings on there. i can't say for sure, as during that time, after a visit or two I just stopped going up there.

Eventually, for whatever reason he left, and the neighborhood wasn't sorry to see him go. The Building sat vacant a few years after that.

Enter Linda Eddins and her son in law Dan (his wife and he own the Harvest Moon...a neat place, check it out)

They renovated the building, including finally demolishing the old house falling apart behind it.
They have done a wonderful job. The store is crisp and clean. Dan and Linda are always very cheerful. The old regulars have come back and you can stop in the mornings and listen to the old timers swap stories. the country charm is back, and is a great place to still get a coke in the old time bottles! I've toyed with the idea of having guitar picking sessions on the front porch there on some night...gotten permission, just haven't gotten any further, been busy.

I still call it Eddins store though I go every day.

If you live close I encourage you to go check it out. Tell them "Pirate Dave" sent you I own a boat repair business down the way, which is how I got that nickname....they'll know who I am

Old 08-09-2014, 06:04 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

It's not a bad little place....it isn't worth a special trip....but it's great for the area and I liked stopping by some mornings when I had to drive my daughter to Enloe.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:51 AM

757 posts, read 2,083,364 times
The coffee there is great. They even remember our names after only going a hand full of times. Country charm for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary