Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 01:28 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times

Advertisements

I recently got my partner into SECU, from PNC, and he RAVES about how much better SECU is than PNC.

True, you need a "connection" to get into SECU, but it's true--it generally is considered one of the better places to bank. Credit Unions in general are better than banks for customers/members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 02:48 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Another happy SECU customer here. We do the online bill pay for most of our bills/checks. I've been with them for eons. They were super nice when we bought our house. I always encourage people to go SECU if they have the option.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:10 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
I got Coastal Go Green Checking. I love it. Not sure why you are linking to the basic checking from coastal, yeah that isn't as nice.

https://www.coastal24.com/checking/g...n-checking.htm

Banks have to start putting fees on the regular accounts because they are not allowed to make all that cash of the folks that don't handle money quite so well. (don't pay on time, overdraft, credit APRs etc etc). Thanks big gubment!

Old 08-01-2012, 11:49 PM

119 posts, read 318,484 times
Is being a state govt. employee the only way to sign up into SECU?
I will be moving to the triangle area next month. How can i get SECU checking account? My current bank, USBank, does not have branches in the area.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:31 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wango Wango View Post
Is being a state govt. employee the only way to sign up into SECU?
It's limited to immediate family of eligible members, which includes state employees (obviously), the NC national guard, and anyone whose job falls under SPA- public university and community college employees, some county employees, etc. That's about it.

It's seriously the best bank around, and larger than many commercial banks. IIRC it's the 2nd largest credit union in America behind Navy Fed in both membership and assets.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:38 AM

103 posts, read 214,235 times
I have PNC and have never had a problem with them. When they were RBC it was terrible!!! Once they switched everything has been much better. I have never been charged for anything. I love paying all my bills online threw the bill payment option. IT is so easy.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:29 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitb05 View Post
I have PNC and have never had a problem with them. When they were RBC it was terrible!!! Once they switched everything has been much better. I have never been charged for anything. I love paying all my bills online threw the bill payment option. IT is so easy.
RBC (Centura) was once a great bank. Then RBC bought it and Centura went down the crapper.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:43 PM

342 posts, read 872,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
It's limited to immediate family of eligible members, which includes state employees (obviously), the NC national guard, and anyone whose job falls under SPA- public university and community college employees, some county employees, etc. That's about it.

It's seriously the best bank around, and larger than many commercial banks. IIRC it's the 2nd largest credit union in America behind Navy Fed in both membership and assets.
You can also get in if you are in the same household. This would allow you to get in sometimes without being related if you don't meet the other criteria.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:44 PM

459 posts, read 757,175 times
I just used the Coastal Mobile App on my cell phone to deposit a check. It was easy, and now I don't have to make a special trip to the bank.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:05 PM

11 posts, read 21,983 times
I believe the PNC $.50 per check is for the virtual wallet. The saving grace, though, is that you can send a check from your computer without being charged. So, if you have a recurring payment to make, you can just schedule virtual wallet to do it. One of my student loans is in my mother's name, so instead of transferring it to me, she just has her virtual wallet set up to pay it automatically each month and I have my virtual wallet set up to send her a check every month.

I have been with PNC for as long as I can remember, being that my family is from Pittsburgh (PNC=Pittsburgh National Coporation), so I have a lot of experience with them, and no negatives, especially when it comes to Virtual Wallet.

Virtual Wallet lets you set budgets, save money easily, and even bank from your mobile phone or iPad. You can even do something called Mobile Deposit, where you just take a picture of the check and it gets deposited into your account. Very cool and surprisingly useful.

I havent stepped into a bank since I got PNC Virtual Wallet. There's just no need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary