Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 10:04 PM

257 posts, read 490,250 times

Advertisements

Are there rolling hills in Chapel Hill or nearby area where home communities are built on? Where you can buy a house with unobstructed view of the town or open space?

When we relocate, we'll be leaving a house that sits on a hill with a 180 degree panoramic view of the city and mountains. Each morning greets us with a beautiful sunrise that we see directly from our master bedroom, and the dark night brings out the sparking city lights below. Such blessings, I will miss.

I'm wondering if there are similar communities in the Triangle area?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 11:03 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,119,145 times
None I can think of. This isn't a flat area, but it's also not terribly hilly.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:55 AM

513 posts, read 1,601,910 times
The Hamptons off 15501 is the only place I can think of when rolling hills are mentioned. Governors Club is very hilly and rocky but not "rolling"

Old 08-02-2012, 06:18 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,866,159 times
no

Old 08-02-2012, 06:23 AM

25,119 posts, read 16,115,879 times
there are areas of Governors Club where you can get panoramic views, but there won't be anywhere you'll see the city lights sparkling at night.

the Triangle area isn't flat by any means, but you're talking about a significant elevation change.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:22 AM

9,766 posts, read 15,720,421 times
I think Chapel Hill is pretty hilly. We live in Southern Village which is definitely built on a pretty steep hill (I wish it were rolling - at least when I'm walking up it!). There are some homes that have beautiful views of far-off trees and the rest of development - houses and the "village." There are certainly no city lights. But there really is no city here.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:45 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,248,616 times
You can definitely find some small views in the area, but nothing like in the mountains. You definitely won't be able to see the city lights twinkling. We have far too many trees for that. I'm in the very middle of Chapel Hill in an older neighborhood and my lot is completely forested so much so that we don't have any grass. There are many other similar lots in our neighborhood and throughout the town.

Are you maybe relocating from California? I lived in the LA are briefly many years ago and can picture many homes like you're describing.

We just have so many trees here that you don't get that unobstructed view so much, but there are places. I have friends that live out near P1ckard's Mt outside Chapel Hill (not really a mountain) and at a certain point near their property if you get at just the right spot you can see all the way to Chapel Hill, or so they say. I've never actually been able to do it.

There are certain spots, though. If you go to Gimghoul castle you can get a nice view out over the south of town. However, unlike in the NC mountains, view lots are not a big selling point. If it's something you're really looking for you should talk to your realtor and they might be able to find one or two. Also, if you're interested in being near a lake you can have a nice unobstructed view over the water. There is not shoreline development along Jordan Lake, though, so could be tricky there, too.

You're more likely to find a house in a natural setting surrounded by trees in Chapel Hill with maybe a creek running by a the bottom of the hill with owls, and hawks, and deer, deer and more deer.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:49 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,876,897 times
There is an area on Weaver Dairy Road, just east of East Chapel Hill High School, that offers some reasonably panoramic views to the southeast. You can get a sense of the elevation and views from some parts of the ECHHS student parking area (or really just driving east on Weaver Dairy). Some of the homes in the adjoining neighborhood may offer some good views depending on the lots, although I don't know what might be available for sale there.

There are lots of small hilly areas throughout Chapel Hill where you'll find some homes perched. Generally they are in heavily wooded areas and not known for their views - more perhaps for their privacy.

There are also some rural areas around Calvander and other parts of rural Orange County that offer some views of gently rolling farmland.

Last edited by CHTransplant; 08-02-2012 at 08:19 AM..

Old 08-02-2012, 08:07 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,248,616 times
I agree with CHTransplant. I think there are also some developments off Jones Ferry Rd that may have some potential views, but again, not a big selling point here. Too many trees.

There's a house that's been for sale near me that has a nice view looking out toward downtown and over MLK, but it's not panoramic or secluded or anything.

There are also some nice houses off Booth Rd in Chatham that have views, and off Damascus Church Rd, but it's nothing like being up on Mulholland Dr and looking out over the lights of LA or anything.

Last edited by poppydog; 08-02-2012 at 08:17 AM..

Old 08-02-2012, 10:27 AM

257 posts, read 490,250 times
Thank you for your responses, specially to CHTransplant and poppydog. Yes, I live 35 miles east of LA (or north of OC) in suburb of Chino Hills. Here are some links to photos of the rolling hills I was referring to.

//www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc63437.php
//www.city-data.com/city/Chino-...alifornia.html

I'll check out those areas in Chapel Hill when we visit later this month.

I can live without the rolling hills as long as my house is not so close to the neighbors that we can look into each other's bedrooms, or have a house in the back where they can see our backyard. Having an open space in the backyard, and enough distance from the neighbors is good enough. I've seen a handful of houses for sale where the backyard has views of a golf course -- those are very nice too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary