Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 02:58 PM

10 posts, read 30,472 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

This forum has been great! Thus far, though, I've just been a lurker so here is my first official post/question.

We have visited Cary and N. Raleigh 3 times since 2009 and truly believe it would be a great place for us to raise our 2 boys, ages 3 1/2 years and 8 months (and the weather isn't too bad either). Yes, I'm aware about the state of flux in Wake County schools thanks to this forum. We also would never consider relocating without jobs in hand. That being said, I came across a posting for a position at WakeMed that I'm really interested in and for which I'm qualified as a Clinical Psychologist. My husband has also started to send in applications. He's in IT. At this point, we are testing the waters. I would love to get feedback on what it's like to work for WakeMed. I have worked in different hospitals in our area and realize that each one has its own culture.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 04:20 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,179,716 times
Used to be great but has taken a big hit especially at New Bern Ave.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:15 PM
VSB

170 posts, read 798,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Used to be great but has taken a big hit especially at New Bern Ave.
Saturnfan: What are you talking about, exactly?

These types of flippant, vague comments aren't useful. If you have specific criticisms, then give specific criticisms. I'm sure the hospital would be interested in hearing from you if you or a family member has had a negative experience.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:20 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,179,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSB View Post
Saturnfan: What are you talking about, exactly?

These types of flippant, vague comments aren't useful. If you have specific criticisms, then give specific criticisms. I'm sure the hospital would be interested in hearing from you if you or a family member has had a negative experience.
Staff has reduced their degree of patient orientation at New Bern Ave. WakeMed Cary is the opposite.

Staff morale as seen from a patient viewpoint is not the same.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:18 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,083,714 times
We have a friend who worked in one of the out patient clinics at WakeMed for a number of years. Last year they did the reorganization shuffle and required all staff to reapply for their jobs. She thumbed her nose at them and is now enjoying being an independent contractor. She too talks about how the work environment degraded to the point where it was easy to leave.
My dad sees a Cardiologist at the New Bern Ave. Heart Center. The quality of care (and apparently staff morale) there remains high.

Frank

Old 03-14-2011, 09:36 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,268,304 times
WakeMed is awesome. It originally was the public hospital of Wake County, until it went private in the mid-1990s. It is going through a lot of growth. They just opened up their new Childrens Hospital. They are also THE trauma center for Wake County. Actually they "pull their own" when compared to Chapel Hill or Duke in that area.

I know a lot of people who work there and love it. It is growing fast, and a nice place to work.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:33 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,957,634 times
I avoid WakeMed like the plague. I know there are people who say they love it and I respect that, but I have NEVER had a good experience. Especially the WakeMed on new Bern.... the worst patient care ever. You know its bad when you know nurses that work there and they tell you not to go there for care.

I prefer Duke Raleigh or Rex.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:55 PM

10 posts, read 30,472 times
Thank you all for your feedback!

Old 03-20-2011, 01:19 PM

286 posts, read 685,861 times
I have worked at several hospitals in 2 different states. You can't really judge a whole hospital as to whether it is "good" or "bad" to work for so easily. A lot of the time staff morale depends on what unit you are working on and what the hospital specialty is. Some units are very cohesive and work very well together. Others are falling apart with constant in-fighting due to poor supervisor skills in upper management. That goes for any hospital out there. I really look at the overall benefits package of a hospital and ask very specific questions when interviewing to determine the "flavor" of the unit and then decide if it will be a good fit for me.

Oh, and I currently work for Duke.

~Amy

Old 03-20-2011, 02:06 PM

223 posts, read 567,054 times
We had a very recent experience at Wake Med Children's hospital and can only speak highly of our experience. Top notch from the care we received in the ER to the surgical experience to the week we spent in patient. I have a lot of hospital experience in Boston and I was truly impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary