Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 09:56 PM

85 posts, read 254,964 times

Advertisements

raleighjayne,

Thank you so much for your post, I appreciate the effort much of the info I did not know.

Do I understand you correctly that Magnets serve as a base school for a base population and a magnet for students outside the base?

Does the "base" population still have to apply via the "lottery" or are they simply assigned to the magnet.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 09:59 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,663,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny,ny View Post
raleighjayne,

Thank you so much for your post, I appreciate the effort much of the info I did not know.

Do I understand you correctly that Magnets serve as a base school for a base population and a magnet for students outside the base?

Does the "base" population still have to apply via the "lottery" or are they simply assigned to the magnet.

Thanks again.
They simply are assigned there....they don't go through the lottery system.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:03 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,095,387 times
The base population does not have to apply. They are assigned there and they do NOT necessarily serve wealthy families. There are a handful of schools IBT that do serve wealthier areas, but three magnets in "wealthier" areas have since lost their magnet status. The magnet system was designed to help improve lower income schools, not the other way around. There a few pockets of areas in downtown Raleigh that have become wealthy areas over the years and the schools have not readjusted. ALso, for example, there are major wealthy areas in Cary and no magnets out there. They go to regular schools. For the most part, the magnets serve a lower income base population, not a higher income base. You can look on the wake schools website to see the base populations for all of the schools.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:06 PM

Well..one can either be part of what makes a school (and a district) great, or they can be the sort that complains because it wasn't what they wanted when they didn't do the research in the first place.......[/quote]

I agree with you one can either be part of what makes a school (district) great. We have always been very active in our schools PTA and would want to continue to do so.

How does all the busing affect the PTA?
Is the PTA healthy and active?

Old 10-07-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Well..one can either be part of what makes a school (and a district) great, or they can be the sort that complains because it wasn't what they wanted when they didn't do the research in the first place.......
I agree with you one can either be part of what makes a school (district) great. We have always been very active in our schools PTA and would want to continue to do so.

Is the PTA healthy and active?[/quote]

Both the schools my daughter has gone to have had active PTAs. Ligon's seems to be made up mostly of parents from the magnet side of the program...just a few from the base population.

I know you want to make out the fact that kids don't always go to the closest school to them (though many do) as bad and that parents aren't involved, but that just isn't so.

Kids in Durham and Johnson county sometimes do have longer bus rides (with no limit on their length) then Wake County kids do (with rules in place to keep them under a certain length.)

Old 10-08-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post

Is the PTA healthy and active?
Both the schools my daughter has gone to have had active PTAs. Ligon's seems to be made up mostly of parents from the magnet side of the program...just a few from the base population.

I know you want to make out the fact that kids don't always go to the closest school to them (though many do) as bad and that parents aren't involved, but that just isn't so.

Kids in Durham and Johnson county sometimes do have longer bus rides (with no limit on their length) then Wake County kids do (with rules in place to keep them under a certain length.)[/quote]

Hey Des,

Please understand, I am not trying to make out anything. I have no hidden agenda, I am trying to do my research and find out as much as I can before moving down. Active PTA's are extremely important, the more engaged parents are the better the educational environment will be.

Education is high on our list of priorities. There is no question in my mind that I would have been down there by now if it weren't for articles in the News and Observer scared my wife to death!

I am simply trying to find out what parents with kids in the system's thoughts are on the education their kids are getting. If and when we get down there we will be active in the PTA weather or not the school is down the block or across town, I just want to know what I would be getting my self into and where can I buy a home that offers a "stable" area so at least I can cut down the odds of my kid being redistricted.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:42 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,095,387 times
It seems to me, that no matter what school we've attended, there are always those parents who are very involved in the school's PTA and those who aren't. I don't think it really matters how far away or close they they live, those who want to be involved find a way and those who don't, don't.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
It seems to me, that no matter what school we've attended, there are always those parents who are very involved in the school's PTA and those who aren't. I don't think it really matters how far away or close they they live, those who want to be involved find a way and those who don't, don't.
Wish I could give you a point! That is exactly. I don't do PTA other then to give them money and keep an eye on what they are up to. (Too many politics/cliques no matter what state you are in.) I volunteer in other ways directly with booster clubs and individual teachers.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:09 AM

What areas are"stable" where redistricting is not as much of an issue.

Are certain areas more prone to redistricting?

Old 10-13-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
What areas are"stable" where redistricting is not as much of an issue.

Are certain areas more prone to redistricting?
Look at where the new schools are going...they are going to have redistricting as those schools come online.

Pay attention to where large amounts of large mid priced (200k to 500k - yes I know it's a wide range...but this is a range many families by in) new developments are going in...more kids being pumped into an area, means that it could happen.

Areas that are already built out.....such as ITB, some areas of Cary, near downtown Wake Forest as well...are going to be less prone to it. (Now they are building a new high school in Wake Forest, Heritage High....so know about that...but the elementary and middles are pretty stable.)

It's a matter of research, talking to people, being prepared for change if it happens, and taking an educated guess a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary