Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 03:54 PM

10 posts, read 68,908 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. We are trying to decide between Cary academy and Durham academy for our nine year old daughter. We are moving back to the states from london. After lots of thread reading and research , we have narrowed our choice between the two. Aside from Cary academy starting in sixth grade are there any other meaningful social or academic differences? They look pretty similar. I appreciate any advice anyone has!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 04:29 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
I don't know much about the differences between the schools but Cary Academy has gotten pretty difficult to get into! They had less than 100 spots and hundreds of applications for 6th grade. We applied for my daughter for 2013 and she didn't get in although she is a VERY strong student academically, did great on their admissions testing and is and pretty well rounded from a social perspective too.
If you are interested in either of them, you may want to consider applying to both!

Old 08-02-2012, 05:30 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Cary Academy doesn't start till 6th grade. I know someone going and I'm not saying this in any snarky way, just being honest, was kind of surprised as she never struck me overly smart or involved in anything of particular interest.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:35 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,547,845 times
Differentiators as I see/hear them:

Cary Academy issues laptops to all students and homework assignments, notes and projects are generally done using the computer. They become very savvy in their use of the tablet and notetaking in 'one note'.
Foreign language is required in 6-8 grades and most take through 11th grade. The goal is fluency - an exchange trip is done at the end of the 10th grade.
An 'Art' is required from 6-10th grade. 6-8th grades, the students take either drama, chorus, band, dance, or visual arts. all 9th and 10th graders have World Arts in their curriculum and they have to take another credit or two in Art. Many will do a full four years (4 credits) of art and it is scheduled to not interfere with other core classes.
Talents are nurtured - whether academic, sport, artistic, outside interest or a combination of all.
Many students take part in sports from 7th-12 grades but no sports scholarships are given (to my knowledge) and there is no football (in the upper school). There is also no girls lacrosse. Basketball becomes the 'big' sport that is followed.
Cafeteria is included in tuition at all grades. In 6-8th grades school, tables are assigned and are rotated and have faculty at the table.
Gym is daily in 6-8th grade.
In the upper school, there is no ranking of students (no valedictorian/salutatorian, no top 10%, etc)

CA packs a lot into a day and expects a lot from their students. Parent involvement is appreciated, expected and requested via PTAA activities and sports and other activities. Faculty is engaged and aware. Many faculty have students enrolled in the school.

When you drive in the parking lot during car pool or other events, you see a wide range of price range of cars being driven. The point being that the cars are not all high end $$$ cars.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:45 PM

413 posts, read 877,899 times
Default Kudos to Cary Academy

I applaud Cary Academy for financial aid policies. A friend lost his
job and Cary Academy provided scholarships for 2 years so his
child could finish with classmates known since 6th grade. There
are wealthy families, of course, but more diversity than some
expect.

Durham Academy also has a great reputation.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:53 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
I'm in Chapel Hill so I have had more contact with folks who went or who are sending their kids to Durham Academy. I think it's got a good rep. I know quite a few adults who still keep up with their DA crowd. I know someone who teaches a non-academic class there who is absolutely wonderful. I also know folks who have their child at DA and they seem pleased.

I know a lot more people who have their kids at Carolina Friends School so if that one has been on your radar I might be able to tell you about it.

Chapel Hill/Carrboro public schools also have an excellent academic reputation.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:03 AM

37 posts, read 82,337 times
A big part of the application process is a full-day visit. That will tell you far more than any forum can. I would recommend going through the entire admissions process at both schools (and maybe one more too) so that you can make the best-informed decision. Is your daughter currently in an international school with an American-style curriculum? In any case, she'll stand out a little in the process, which should be a good thing.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:08 PM

10 posts, read 68,908 times
Thanks everyone for your feedback. 2girlsr2good, my daughter is in a private english prep school ( think hog warts with the traditional uniforms and school houses). An American school is going to be a bit of a culture shock! I think that is why it is important to us that she lands at a American school that keeps closer tabs on the new students. One of the things I liked about CA is that from years 6 through 8 they have a faculty member sit at the lunch tables where they rotate the kids..giving them an opportunity to meet everyone . Durham looks like a great school but it starts in kindergarten and I think the social groups are already established which is not ideal when you are a new student ..in a new country ( our daughter has lived here in London since she was a baby). And of course the school she goes to is going to decide the area we will move to ( chapel hill vs. Cary).
I really appreciated the info on the diversity aspect and CA's assistance to a family in need, it speaks volumes on how they view their students. It just tells me they are more than just a business. I would love a third option but it is tuff...having read through all the threads, DA and CA receive the least amount of negative reviews and as we are doing this from quite a distance, investigating schools is a bit more challenging!

Old 09-15-2012, 07:36 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Cary and Chapel Hill are pretty different communities. You might want to think about what you want in a community as well as a school. I think you can find a good school wherever you land in the Triangle. Sixth grade is the start of middle school so if you went the traditional public school route all the kids would be somewhat new. There are many new families moving into the area all the time, too. My younger daughter has a new girl in her 3rd grade class this year who just moved to the states from Malawi.

We were at private school (which has since closed) for awhile because my older daughter needed a smaller environment because she has some anxiety issues. It was the right choice for her at the time, but I really feel more a part of the community with the kids in public school. When the kids were in private school I felt like I was actively choosing NOT to be a part of my neighborhood and my community. I really value the diversity in public school too.

That said, if I was going to put my kids back in a private school it would be Carolina Friends, hands down, no contest.

In NC we also have charter schools, which you may or may not be aware of. They are tuition free public schools, but parents enter their kids in a lottery to be chosen to go to the school. It's not based on the neighborhood. My oldest daughter (6th grade) just started at a charter this month because she still prefers a smaller environment and she likes it so far.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:32 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbmolly View Post
Thanks everyone for your feedback. 2girlsr2good, my daughter is in a private english prep school ( think hog warts with the traditional uniforms and school houses). An American school is going to be a bit of a culture shock! I think that is why it is important to us that she lands at a American school that keeps closer tabs on the new students. One of the things I liked about CA is that from years 6 through 8 they have a faculty member sit at the lunch tables where they rotate the kids..giving them an opportunity to meet everyone . Durham looks like a great school but it starts in kindergarten and I think the social groups are already established which is not ideal when you are a new student ..in a new country ( our daughter has lived here in London since she was a baby). And of course the school she goes to is going to decide the area we will move to ( chapel hill vs. Cary).
I really appreciated the info on the diversity aspect and CA's assistance to a family in need, it speaks volumes on how they view their students. It just tells me they are more than just a business. I would love a third option but it is tuff...having read through all the threads, DA and CA receive the least amount of negative reviews and as we are doing this from quite a distance, investigating schools is a bit more challenging!
I know a few kids who started DA as 6th graders. 5th grade is when "middle" school begins for DA. But these kids going in at 6th grade had no problem making friends and finding a community. Lots of kids enter DA at 5th and 6th grade. Durham has some strong public elementary schools but DPS middle schools are not as desirable. So there are a lot of local kids who enter DA at 5th for 6th grade. So I don't think your daughter would have any problem making friends.

You might also want to look at The Duke School. It is K-8. Again lots of kids start in 5th grade for middle school there.

My youngest is at Camelot Academy, which is tiny in comparison to DA & CA. It's K-12, they are mastery based, and each student has an individual learning plan. The school attracts many international students. So they are use to working with students who come from other countries and may have different needs that don't necessarily translate well into a public school setting. But Camelot does not have the lush soccer fields that DA & CA have. It's much funkier (more Hogwarts like) and less prep school like in it's feel. Yet these kids go onto to do amazing things.

Good luck with the research.

BTW, DA while close to Chapel Hill is in Durham. And if you are planning on sending your child to a private school you might not want to pay the high Chapel Hill Carborro Taxes (highest in the area). There are plenty of safe, wonderful, family neighborhoods in Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary