Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 07:23 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,434,156 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting my family in Greensboro this weekend (I'm from Greensboro as well) and I've come to the conclusion that there is absolutely nothing new to do there.
I went to school at UNC-Chapel Hill and usually tour the campus anytime I go back, but I think my wife is getting tired of that already.
I was thinking of taking a trip to Raleigh to see if there's anything exciting I could get into there.
I'm not too familiar with Raleigh. We were thinking of going to The Pit for some BBQ this weekend.
Do we need a reservation to avoid a long wait?
What about other places to visit in Raleigh? Maybe catch a live band or festival?
Is Crabtree Valley mall worth visiting?
We also have a 3-year old son, so we would like something he can do as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 07:42 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,048,244 times
Review 101 things to do in Triangle:

//www.city-data.com/forum/raleigh-durham-chapel-hill-cary/1279634-101-things-do-triangle-add-list.html

Old 08-03-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Thanks, but that thread hasn't been updated in 7 months.
I'm looking for things specifically this weekend to do.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:03 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,048,244 times
You can do about 80 percent of the things on that list this weekend. (Just not the festivals or holiday-related items.) The list is not intended to be updated. It's just 101 or so things to do.

You might look here:

Independent Weekly

Raleigh, NC Events - Find Upcoming Events in Raleigh!

NC triangle activity, Raleigh events NC events

Good luck.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:13 PM

645 posts, read 985,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
I'm visiting my family in Greensboro this weekend (I'm from Greensboro as well) and I've come to the conclusion that there is absolutely nothing new to do there.
I went to school at UNC-Chapel Hill and usually tour the campus anytime I go back, but I think my wife is getting tired of that already.
I was thinking of taking a trip to Raleigh to see if there's anything exciting I could get into there.
I'm not too familiar with Raleigh. We were thinking of going to The Pit for some BBQ this weekend.
Do we need a reservation to avoid a long wait?
What about other places to visit in Raleigh? Maybe catch a live band or festival?
Is Crabtree Valley mall worth visiting?
We also have a 3-year old son, so we would like something he can do as well.

My boys love that Children's Museum in Greensboro. Nice to be inside when it's hot, sticky, and possibly stormy, too.

Being that it's tax free weekend, the malls may not be the most enjoyable place to go.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:21 PM

826 posts, read 1,926,108 times
If you want to be in Raleigh, Marbles Kids Museum is a good option. Or Pullen Park.

Personally, I'm not a fan of The Pit although it depends on what kind of BBQ you want. Downtown, I much prefer Clyde Cooper's BBQ although atmosphere is certainly not equivalent to The Pit.

Depending on how much time you want to spend in the area, perhaps you might split your time between Chapel Hill/Carrboro area and Durham. Since you are coming from the west, you could go to Allen & Sons for BBQ first and then to Maple View Farms for ice cream. Rocking chairs on the porch, homemade ice cream, and a bucolic view of farmland.

Or, maybe head to the Durham Farmer's Market Saturday morning - always bustling and fun. Lots of food trucks. And then perhaps the Museum of Life and Sciences. Living Social just posted a deal today that offers unlimited admission for 2 adults and 2 children from now until Oct. 31, 2012 for $34. A great deal and a great museum! Off to buy my own pass...

Old 08-03-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post
My boys love that Children's Museum in Greensboro. Nice to be inside when it's hot, sticky, and possibly stormy, too.

Being that it's tax free weekend, the malls may not be the most enjoyable place to go.
Our son already went to that museum last year when we came to visit.
Yeah, I get your point about avoiding the malls during tax-free weekend.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:47 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,221,403 times
If you're wanting to catch some music with the kid, go to Saxapahaw. It's right down 54 from Graham & Burlington so much closer to G-boro. They have a really sweet farmer's market with live music every Saturday late afternoon/evening. We usually show up around 5:30 or so. There are food trucks and a wood-fired pizza oven up on the top of the hill. They set up a bubble making station and have a big home-made slip-n-slide for the kids and big hay bales to climb on. There's usually a swing in a tree, etc. The kids run all around. You can also eat at The General Store or the Eddy Pub. River Mill Village and Photos | Facebook .

In Raleigh, Marbles is probably better for a 3 yr old, but my 11 & 8 yr olds loved the new wing of the Natural Sciences museum. North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences |

The NC Museum of Life & Science is a good choice, too. www.ncmls.com . It's a great museum and maybe a little more little kid friendly than the Natural Sciences in Raleigh.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskb View Post
If you want to be in Raleigh, Marbles Kids Museum is a good option. Or Pullen Park.

Personally, I'm not a fan of The Pit although it depends on what kind of BBQ you want. Downtown, I much prefer Clyde Cooper's BBQ although atmosphere is certainly not equivalent to The Pit.

Depending on how much time you want to spend in the area, perhaps you might split your time between Chapel Hill/Carrboro area and Durham. Since you are coming from the west, you could go to Allen & Sons for BBQ first and then to Maple View Farms for ice cream. Rocking chairs on the porch, homemade ice cream, and a bucolic view of farmland.

Or, maybe head to the Durham Farmer's Market Saturday morning - always bustling and fun. Lots of food trucks. And then perhaps the Museum of Life and Sciences. Living Social just posted a deal today that offers unlimited admission for 2 adults and 2 children from now until Oct. 31, 2012 for $34. A great deal and a great museum! Off to buy my own pass...
Thanks for the suggestions! I've heard of this Allen & Sons place. Might have to finally give it a try.
I see there's a Beer, Bourbon and BBQ Festival in Raleigh this weekend.
Sounds like it might be my kind of scene
Anyone have any experiences with this festival?

Old 08-03-2012, 09:02 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,124,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! I've heard of this Allen & Sons place. Might have to finally give it a try.
I see there's a Beer, Bourbon and BBQ Festival in Raleigh this weekend.
Sounds like it might be my kind of scene
Anyone have any experiences with this festival?
The festival is in Cary. It's fun but can get hot and crowded. Luckily it won't be as hot this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary