Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 05:48 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnheel View Post
That's not the point. Even if you reach the same point as the guy traveling 8-10 mph more than you doesn't prove anything. nothing is more frustrating that the typical Cary driver on Sunday afternoon that travels at or under the speed limit. Just move to the right lane like any other highway and be done with it.
No, actually, that is entirely the point. It proves that people who drive this guy in the pickup truck are driving like jerks for no reason. We've all seen it time and again - anyone who can't admit that, even about themselves, just isn't paying attention.

This guy wasn't "going with the flow of traffic" or any such nonsense....he was driving like an aggressive a$$hat. And for his trouble and everyone else's - he got exactly one car length ahead.

One thing I keep in mind when I start driving like this (and we've all been there) - IT'S NOT EVERYONE ELSE'S PROBLEM THAT I CAN'T MANAGE MY TIME AND AM RUNNING LATE. Especially when I'll only end up one car length ahead at every red light.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:51 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,763,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
No, this is what happens when you have some idiot doing 67mph (15 mph above the average speed on this road) COMBINED with someone who pulled out into the flow of traffic on a 4 lane road without adequately determining the speed of oncoming traffic before doing so.
Another home run. How can someone look at that article and say "well they were speeding" - how about the person that pulled out in front of another moving vehicle, regardless of their speed...are they not at fault? They caused the accident...as a licensed driver you need to be able to judge how fast a car is going and determine "is it safe to pull out now?" If you can't do that adequately, including all the variables thrown in like speeders, cops, 18 wheelers, limited visibility in the rain/snow/etc - then you shouldn't be driving, plain and simple.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:56 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,763,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
No, actually, that is entirely the point. It proves that people who drive this guy in the pickup truck are driving like jerks for no reason. We've all seen it time and again - anyone who can't admit that, even about themselves, just isn't paying attention.

This guy wasn't "going with the flow of traffic" or any such nonsense....he was driving like an aggressive a$$hat. And for his trouble and everyone else's - he got exactly one car length ahead.

One thing I keep in mind when I start driving like this (and we've all been there) - IT'S NOT EVERYONE ELSE'S PROBLEM THAT I CAN'T MANAGE MY TIME AND AM RUNNING LATE. Especially when I'll only end up one car length ahead at every red light.
For every story you have about "one car length" someone can bring up the same situation where they saved tons of time by getting through a green light ahead while you stopped at the red.

Bottom line is, either you can decide how fast someone goes on their behalf, or you can let them decide for themselves. If you folks who cruise in the left lane going 47mph REALLY cared about safety, you would choose whats within your control - which is to just move over. Thats the safest way to approach the situation.

But lets be real, its not about safety, its about ego, pride, and control. "You dont NEED to go that fast" is what it's about for most drivers. Combine that with the person doing the speeding and you get the most dangerous situation of all, for everyone, including innocent bystanders.

You cant stop people from speeding. So if you really care about safety, move over.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:49 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
But lets be real, its not about safety, its about ego, pride, and control. "You dont NEED to go that fast" is what it's about for most drivers. .
Sometimes that's true. In this case, it sounds like "I'm not getting over into stop-and-go right hand lane traffic so you can end up one car length ahead of me at the next light. And if GOD FORBID you should end up making that light and I don't, I'll see your back end again anyway in another mile or two".

The OP isn't a 23 year old guy, she's a professional working mother of several kids. Seriously doubt this was a pi$$ing contest.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:01 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
But lets be real, its not about safety, its about ego, pride, and control. "You dont NEED to go that fast" is what it's about for most drivers. You cant stop people from speeding. So if you really care about safety, move over.
I second this!

Old 08-07-2012, 07:13 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,186,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
No, this is what happens when you have some idiot doing 67mph (15 mph above the average speed on this road) COMBINED with someone who pulled out into the flow of traffic on a 4 lane road without adequately determining the speed of oncoming traffic before doing so.
The article says at the time of impact the person on Cary Pkwy was going 52. 7 over the limit. At one point, they determined she was going 67. At one point, not at the time of impact. Clearly even 7 over can be deadly. I prefer to ride in the left lane where traffic keeps flowing as opposed to stopping/slowing down every time someone makes a right. I do the speed limit, often times a bit more, but I'm not about to move over for some jacka$$ needing to go 60 to get where they're going. On the freeway/highway, yes, I will move over, but I am not inconveniencing myself and putting wear and tear on my brakes to ride in the right lane so Mr(s) SUV can zoom by only to meet up with said SUV at the next light. You really, really don't save more than a minute or two by going that freaking fast!

Old 08-07-2012, 07:28 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Some of you are going to try and police the road the way you see fit and you might run across one of the road ragers and end up in some sort of altercation that could easily be avoided by realizing you are not the police and if someone wants to go 10 over the speed limit thats their issue, not yours

Its common courtsey to move to the right to let someone pass, thats just basic driving, regardless of what you see as a street or highway, it doesnt matter. Stop trying to make the world conform to your belief and just let the faster driver go, its not a big deal to move into the right lane for 10 seconds and avoid any road raging lol
I was going to comment, but you pretty much nailed it right here!

Now, in this case, it sounds like traffic was too backed up in the right lane for the OP to safely move over, so I have no problem with her staying in the left. As long as she was more or less keeping up with the traffic.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:30 AM

5,742 posts, read 17,592,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
The article says at the time of impact the person on Cary Pkwy was going 52. 7 over the limit. At one point, they determined she was going 67.
Not exactly. . . . .

"The initial accident report stated that Sladek was traveling at 52 mph at the time of the collision. The posted speed limit on that section of Cary Parkway is 45 mph, the report states.

Cary police said their reconstruction of the collision showed that she was actually driving at up to 67 mph before the wreck"

I'm guessing that Sladek reported that she was going 52 mph. However, reconstruction of the accident showed that she was travelling at a speed closer to 67 mph.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:32 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,828,196 times
This thread took a wrong turn somewhere along the way, and sped off in a different direction entirely.

The OP was asking specifically about Cary Parkway, so let's please get back to that.

Thanks!

Old 08-07-2012, 07:35 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnheel View Post
That's not the point. Even if you reach the same point as the guy traveling 8-10 mph more than you doesn't prove anything. nothing is more frustrating that the typical Cary driver on Sunday afternoon that travels at or under the speed limit. Just move to the right lane like any other highway and be done with it.
Did you read all that I wrote?

My options were:

Move right for the speed demon and get stuck behind multiple cars that were going well UNDER the speed limit and/or stopping entirely to turn.

Or

Driving much faster to appease aforementioned speed demon.

He wasn't behind me more than a minute or two before he hopped into the right lane, slammed on brakes, we got to a light, I slowed down, he got in front, he continued to slam breaks behind cars in both lanes off and on and we both wound up at High House at the same time.

I'm not passive aggressive when I drive. I was just perplexed, as this sort of thing happens on Cary Parkway pretty much every day. No matter which lane I'm in.

Do people not realize it isn't a freeway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary