Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 09:13 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,104 times

Advertisements

Bermuda goes dormant in the winter, which means it turns an ugly shade of brown. A lot of HOAs don't allow them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 09:39 PM

850 posts, read 3,625,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
Bermuda goes dormant in the winter, which means it turns an ugly shade of brown. A lot of HOAs don't allow them.
So does Fescue (goes dormant) which is what the builder seeds with in our S/D. Alot of my neighbors overseeded with Winter Rye and they had beautifuly lawns over the winter but they weren't left with much when it bit the dust in the late spring.

Lauren

Old 10-06-2007, 09:50 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
So does Fescue (goes dormant) which is what the builder seeds with in our S/D. Alot of my neighbors overseeded with Winter Rye and they had beautifuly lawns over the winter but they weren't left with much when it bit the dust in the late spring.

Lauren
Fescue (A cool season grass) will go dromant (stop growing) in winter but it should stay green during the winter and not turn all brown like bermuda or other warm season grasses.

I guess you can do it, but I would not overseed with annual Rye if you have a fescue lawn. That is more common with people who have bermuda lawns.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:26 AM

169 posts, read 419,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
TexRob,
I don't see you'll see any negative effects of the soil contrast right away. The glass you seeded will come up. The effect will be in the long term quality of your roots.
Just making sure you were clear what I did do. I did mix the clay and topsoil together with a cultivator. So you are saying, long term, that's the better way to go, right? Just want to make sure we're on the same page.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback. I am reading and learning here, so your experience will be education either way. Best of success!
Yep, I'll post with some pics. I should have taken some before, but the backyard being zero grass basically made it not matter to much, maybe 10%, and most of that I cultivated into oblivion. I am a little worried about the very hard rain we got on Friday. Hopefully we didn't lose all the seed on the slopes. I think it's fine on the flatter parts, but our ditch is too steep, so it has been hurting for grass.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim318 View Post
I recently visited Red Barn and bought 3 yards of top soil and mulch mix and they charged me $160 delivered. I wonder why they charged me so much and I live Smithfield. Buyer beware!
Topsoil and mulch mix? So it was 1.5 yards of each? They do have two grades of topsoil also. One is richer, more like potting soil, and more expensive. The regular topsoil is good though, with very little extra junk in the mix.

Everyone in my subdivision use Red Barn it seems, and we've all gotten consistent prices and service, so I'm a little quick to say "don't bad mouth them". Also, if you are in Smithfield, that could very well be why. Plantation Pointe is less than 5 minutes from Covered Bridge Rd. That is where their farm is that they get all the soil from. We are much closer to their farm than their company location off of 70, so I know that plays a big part.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzen View Post
Large areas of grass are a waste of water in the dry conditions that north carolina has been experiencing the past 10 years or so. this year is a total mess and terrible example. Use less grass and more plantings of drought tolerant plants.
I have to step in and say that while that may be true, don't quickly forget the huge benefits of a good lawn to the environment. Cooling, Oxygen production, filtering of pollutants, ground water filtration, etc.

The facts in the Scott's Lawn Care book are really good, but this is the only thing I could find online that was close.

SULIS - Sustainable Urban Landscape Information Series: U of MN.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:49 AM

850 posts, read 3,625,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Fescue (A cool season grass) will go dromant (stop growing) in winter but it should stay green during the winter and not turn all brown like bermuda or other warm season grasses.

I guess you can do it, but I would not overseed with annual Rye if you have a fescue lawn. That is more common with people who have bermuda lawns.
You know, I gotta say that I've researched this lawn thing for quite some time now, including getting estimates from a couple so called "experts"...and not a one gave even similar info and advice. ;0

I'm so confused!

We're not doing anything until spring so I have time to sort things out. Back to the internet searching.
Lauren

Old 10-08-2007, 02:17 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,597 times
Default Good thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
Good thing my sub doesnt care what type of grass you have. Everyone in my area has tried fescue and they said that it needs a ton of water in the summer and even then it is way too hard to keep green. Many went to zoysia or bermuda and are much happier with its needs...

Old 10-09-2007, 10:40 AM

Well, I am happy to report that after 6 days I see the first chutes poking through around the yard. So, Tall Fescue emerges, now I wonder how long I have to wait for the Kentucky Bluegrass to show (and how I am even supposed to be able to recognize it). Hopefully in a day or two when all of the different seed depths emerge, just how good the coverage is going to be. It's patchy right now, but that could just be different germination times and seed depth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary